Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP34-UD3L PCI-E Problem

Hi all!

I recently had to replace my motherboard/CPU which had died.

I purchased a EP43-UD3L mobo but am having some problems getting my nvidia 9800gtx to work. Basically when I plug in the card, attach the power to the card and boot her up, nothing happens for about 30 seconds, then I get a single beep and nothing on the monitor.

However when I swap out the card to an old nvidia 7900gt card (still pci-e), it all works fine!!

I'm sure there isnt a problem with the card since it was working when I removed it from the old mobo but am at a loss as to what else it could be?? I assumed it was a power problem, but there are green lights showing on the card, and no obvious indicators (that I can tell anyways).

Anyone had a 9800gtx work with this mobo? The old mobo was a gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4
    Last edited by Seano; 04-26-2009, 05:59 AM. Reason: Fixed 34/43 typo

Re: EP34-UD3L PCI-E Problem

Is the PCIE freq set to 100 in the BIOS?

Comment

Not 100% sure, I will have to check.

Is there a freq difference between the 7900gt and the 9800gtx? I don't remember having to modify any bios settings when I installed the 9800gtx

Comment

No, but it's possible that 7900gt accepts higher PCIE settings. As far I know, your board has the same problem as mine: it raises PCIE freq with FSB when set to AUTO.

It's a long shot, but it won't take much time to check the BIOS settings...

Comment

Thanks a lot, I'll have a look when I get home and post the results :)

Fingers crossed!

Comment

Unfortunately no good - same symptoms.

Any other suggestions?

Comment

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Comment

I haven't however the mobo is brand new - didn't expect I would need to .

One thing I did notice is that my old mobo had another power supply going direct to the pci-e x16 cards - however it was a SLI motherboard so it might not be entirely relevant. I'm pretty sure the power is ok to the card since when I plug 2 power leads to it the light is green, and with only 1 connected it is red.

Comment

Yes, you're right - it wouldn't make much sense to clear the CMOS in a brand new mobo.

Well, I ran out of ideas... It can be your PSU.

My advice is to post a very polite short post in "Welcome to Gigabyte forum" thread with a link to this thread. One of the moderators will help you. That's what I did when I had a problem with my mobo and I got a very helpful responce from Lsdmeasap. I'm a noob, let's face it...

Good luck, dude.

Comment

In the integrated Peripherals section of the BIOS there is a setting "Init First Display" set this to PEG (Using your other card) for slot one and see if it fixes things

What PSU are you using anyway? And yes, you would need to connect some PCIE power cables from your PSU to the card if the card has the power molex's on it.

Have you or can you test this card on another system? That is what I would do first to be sure the card is not DOA

Comment

First thing I did when it didnt work was to set the first display to PEG.

Im using a coolermaster 750w power supply which ran the card fine in my old motherboard - the power is connected to the card, there are green lights showing on the card. Im positive the card is not dead as it worked fine before I got this mobo.

One thing I will say is there is quite a long delay before getting a single beep - It's not the usual beep that you get after a succesfuly post - also the LED lights on the motherboard stay lit for a lot longer than usual...
                      Last edited by Seano; 04-28-2009, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Ahh, well all of that sounds ok. If you cannot test the card on another setup then you will just have to imagine it is ok (Sounds like it is though)

PSU Should be plenty

Have you tried reseating the CPU? If not, please do and while you have it out check very closely for bent CPU Pins.

If you still have no luck time to get things out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray to be sure there is not any shorts. Put the board on a wooden table or a Cardboard box, then with ONLY the CPU/Heatsink, one stick of ram in slot one, and your GFX Card see if you can start the system. No hard drives, cd drives, ect. This will rule out shorts and other faulty hardware.

If you still do not get anywhere, please try all of that again after you clear the CMOS using the method I outline in post # 2 here >>

Comment

Working...
                        X