Is the GA-73PVM-S2 up to the task?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the GA-73PVM-S2 up to the task?

I brought one of these boards along with an Intel E1200. I knew from the beginning that these would just be initial investments, with the intent to replace each with upgrades. So I later brought an EVGA 730i, which I transferred the Intel E1200 to. I was running that chip at 2.7GHz. But I wanted to upgrade my processor as well. So I brought an Intel Q9400.

After getting the new chip, I found myself disappointed. The BIOS on the EVGA 730i is extremely inadequate, as well as the choice of cooling (or lack thereof) on the chipset. The chipset is now my limiting factor in terms of heat. Admittedly, I also switched coolers on the processor. The original cooler was a Scythe Shuriken (downdraft), and worked rather well (with the E1200). I replaced it with a Scythe Ninja (crossdraft) heatsink with a 120mm fan. With the Shuriken, my temps on the chipset were always lower than the processor. That's no longer the case now.

So, I'm tempted to do either one of two things. Put the Shuriken on the Q9400 in the newer (Antec) case. Or, put the Q9400 on the GA-73PVM-S2 motherboard, along with the Shuriken cooler.

What I want to know, is what experience have any of you had with overclocking the GA-73PVM-S2? Especially using the Q9400. What's the highest stable speeds any of you have been able to acquire using that board?

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
    Shingoshi
    Last edited by Shingoshi; 04-20-2009, 04:51 PM.

Re: Is the GA-73PVM-S2 up to the task?

A couple of things
    Is the GA-73PVM-S2 up to the task?

1.the board wont support dual channel memory.
    2.You cant adjust the memory voltage.
    3.Highest speed I managed with my Q8200 on it was 370 fsb even with performance memory.(memory that runs 800mhz at 1.82v)
    4. it doesnt support 400 fsb cpus

Its good for my D820 processor(3.5ghz) easily and has built in moderate graphics and HD capability.For the 9400 tho id think it would "suck donkeys dangly bits"

The 730i is supposed to get really hot..(so ive read).
    In general tho id be running the E1200 on the 73pvm s2 and the 9400 on the better board.Mho
    Last edited by kick; 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Re: Is the GA-73PVM-S2 up to the task?

Hi Kick! (as opposed to a low kick)
      Ok. All jokes aside. After writing this, I pretty much came to the same conclusion. The Gigabyte board is in my Thermaltake LanBox Lite. I currently have the E1200 on it, along with the Shuriken. After writing this, I went looking (on Newegg) for another heatsink.

I had come across the Thermalright AXP-140 this weekend. I was really impressed with it's appearance. Then, just today, I found the Scythe Zipang (out of stock). It is very similar in design to the Thermalright. However, there are differences. The AXP-140 has six folded heatpipes. All ends of which are embedded within the heatsink. The Zipang however, only has the top level embedded in the heatsink. The lower bank simply rests on the bottom of the heatsink, rather than passing through it. Consequently, I don't think the Zipang will transfer as much heat as the AXP-140.

So my thoughts now are to get the AXP-140, and mount it on the Q9400. I put the Shuriken on the E1200, because I wanted to be able to build a second computer, rather having it sit unused on my desk. So now, I just have to get the AXP-140.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
      Shingoshi

Comment

Working...
      X