Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giaabyte X58 UD3R (w) F5 BIOS ..... will a XEON W3520 work ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giaabyte X58 UD3R (w) F5 BIOS ..... will a XEON W3520 work ?

Hi all

My first post here.

Firslty, my thanks for all the BIOS updates.

I just sold my " C0 " Core i7 920 and am waiting for a " D0 " stepping Core i7 920.

My X58 UD3R is running the F5 BIOS.

I have now found the new Xeon W3520 which is a " D0 " stepping and is the same cpu as the i7 920 - my MB has the F5 " D0 " stepping-ready bios already flashed.

I presume that officially, the UD3R does not support the new Xeon W3520 BUT given that the W3520 Xeon is exactly the same CPU as the Core i7 920 [ except that the Xeon supports ECC memory ] will it run / boot up / configure as normal if I install a W3520 Xeon into my X58 UD3R ?

Many thanks,
    Ben

Re: Giaabyte X58 UD3R (w) F5 BIOS ..... will a XEON W3520 work ?

Yes, it will work as I have seen a few users already using that Xeon with Several X58 boards. I plan to pick me up one myself as soon as $$ permits.

As you may or may not have already seen (I saw your post at XS) there is a few threads with different X58 boards all using the Xeon >>
    Intel Xeon W3520 D0 Retail (a.k.a. i7 920) - XtremeSystems Forums
    Xeon W3520 = i920 ?!? - XtremeSystems Forums

I used Xeons in My P35/45 boards and I plan to in my X58 as well, they will work just fine

Comment

Re: Gigabyte X58 UD3R (w) F5 BIOS ..... will a XEON W3520 work ?

Hi Lsdmeasap

Coming from yorself, thats brilliant - I can now buy with total confidence.

By the way Lsdmeasap, I run a UD3R [ fantastic board ! ] with the F5 Final Bios.

Lastly, its not a big thing, but

-> will the board "recognize" the Xeon as a Xeon [doesnt really matter]

and [ much more importantly ]

-> when it boots up and posts - will it stop with the " Unknown CPU - Press F1 to Continue " on every boot - or will it fully boot and post without the user having to do anything even if it does not recognize the CPU ?

Thanks again,
      Ben

Comment

I have not ordered mine yet for X58 due to No $$, but as for the 775 boards I never saw any of the issues you mention with P35 or P45 and my Xeons I have used on them (3750, X3220, or E3110)

I am actually on my P45 board now, So I can give you a Screenshot of CPU-z with my E3110 Xeon. All is picked up correctly in all Boards and BIOS's I have used Xeons in >>>

Click to Enlarge

Comment

Got mine last week and it works great on UD5, bios is 5 serries (@ office and can not remeber maybe 5cX?).

POST sees it as Xeon and I need to check the 7 serries bios for any changes. So far, great OC with less core then 920, but temps are out of wack, just a bios issue I bet. See attached:

ORB - Compare

Comment

Working...
          X