Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-Extreme not booting sometimes

Greetings to all,

I have a problem with my new EX58-Extreme mobo sine the first day I bought it.
    whenever I turn it of or sometimes when I restart my computer, the mobo wouldn't boot, some LEDS next to the DIMM slots light with yellow color and the only way to boot up is by unplugging the power cable for a short time.
    My gear :
    I7 920 (not overclocked)
    OCZ intel extreme series Triple channel 6GB (OCZ3X1600LV6GK)
    Thermaltake 1200 watt
    P.S. I tried clearing CMOS, update firmware and everything but no luck.

Please help!

Re: EX58-Extreme not booting sometimes

Any one !

Comment

are memsticks in the right slots?

Comment

Yes, RAM are in the correct DIMMS, made a memtest for the sticks for around 12 hours with no errors too.

Comment

this is annoying indeed, most of the times I shutdown and few times when I restart I get this annoying unable to boot unless I remove the PSU cable for 1 or 2 min. !

Comment

Not sure what is wrong, right now I'm in the overclocking process, I'm currently testing my 920 @ 3.6GHz

Each time I change something in the BIOS for overclocking needes, the motherboard will shutdown after exiting the BIOS (normal behaivior for gigabyte Mobos since the X38 I think) then it trys to boot again but no luck it doesn't boot, get those 2 yellow LEDS next to the last DIMM and I have to unplugg the PSU and/or sometimes keep pressing the power button for 5 sec. to boot normaly!!!!

Comment

75 views and only 1 reply

Comment

OK ZCommander,

Lets see if I can help as I also have the EX58 -Extreme with OCZ memory and the Thermaltake 1200 PSU - all running without problems:

It sounds like it doesn't like something in the BIOS. You say that you are not overclocking the CPU but are you also running memory (DRAM) settings on Auto? If you are running DRAM on an 8x multiplier or manually input setting (trying to get your RAM to work as advertised) with stock CPU settings you will crash every time due to Uncore to DRAM ratios being outside limits.

What version of BIOS are you on - multiple motherboard shutdowns or reboots are no longer the "norm".

When your boot process halts - what are the two numbers on the LED readout?

Are you trying for ACHI, IDE or Raid on SATA hard drives?

How many Drives? Any Optical Drives?

We need more info in order to help.

Joe

Comment

joe123987 thx for the reply, I uploaded a clip with the problem on you tube.

check it out : YouTube - GA EX58-Extreme boot issue

I tried auto and manual settings, no luck!

Comment

I forgot to say that I'm using F6i, I might downgrade to F5!

Comment

OK ZCommander,

I saw the You Tube and here is how I would start (the whole article is found at

Clearing the CMOS

CMOS is a Acronym for "Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor"

Clearing the CMOS will erase the settings stored in the CMOS. It does not remove or change the BIOS itself, it only clears the user defined settings within the CMOS.

This is a very useful thing to do, that everyone needs to know how to properly use . It can often help if you are having overclock issues, if your PC will not stop the booting cycle, Or some people choose to clear CMOS when they plan to flash. All of the above are normal times for you to use this function

When you clear the CMOS you will often likely see the error message "CMOS Checksum Error" on the next reboot. Do not worry this is a normal thing, please enter BIOS at this stage and Load Optimized Defaults, set your DDR2 voltatge and reboot again to the BIOS. The error will be gone after that.

Incase anyone is confused by that error message statement above, the Corrupt BootBlock/Scanning for BootBlock Error is the one you do not wish to see, the checksum error is fine and will be gone on a reboot or with one setting change in the BIOS as the board will update the DMI pool to match the CMOS and the checksums will then be matched

First thing to do is to shut down your System, and let it rest for 30 seconds to a minute.

Then it is wise to unplug the Power Supply from the wall. Open your case and find the "Clear CMOS" jumpers. It is a 2-pin jumper normally located just under the or between the PCI-E slots in P35 boards and under the last PCI-R Slot in P45 boards. Once you have found these jumper pins you will need to get a Hard Drive or Optical Jumper (The same type you used to use on IDE Drives) and place this jumper on the "Clear CMOS" pins. Then press and hold the Case Power on switch for a minute.

Boards with A Clear CMOS button you may also Press and hold this for a minute as well after you do the power button. Sometimes this Clear CMOS button alone will work, other times it will not. So this FULL method is just to BE SURE it gets cleared for those users who have issues with other methods

You may also want to remove the CMOS battery. This is optional and not Always necessary, but you may want to try it if you are having issues getting the CMOS Cleared.

Below is a Example from P45-DS4P & P35-DS3R Gigabyte Manuals

Now let the computer rest with this jumper on for 10-20 Minutes, this will ensure that the battery gets drained, and the CMOS is cleared. Some people will tell you it will only take a few seconds or a minute or two, but I find that to be false and it may indeed lead to a corrupt BootBlock and or a Bricked motherboard.

So best to not try to cut corners when it comes to Clearing the CMOS, wait the full 20 Minutes

When the 20 minutes is up, remove the jumper from the "Clear CMOS" pins, put the battery back in if you removed it, and close your case up. Plug the Power Supply back into the wall and restart the system. Then please follow above advice and Load Optimized Defaults, set DDR2 Voltages and Reboot.

Comment

Still no luck, I've cleared the CMOS and removed the bat. and still not working !

Comment

Can you please tell me what BIOS you are using now, and what your settings you are trying are that are failing. >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
                          [B]Advanced CPU Features:[/B]
                          CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20x]
                          Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
                          CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
                          CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
                          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
                          C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
                          CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
                          CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
                          Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled]
                          Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

[B]Uncore & QPI Features:[/B]
                          QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
                          Uncore Frequency ..........................  (Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1)
                          Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

[B]Standard Clock Control:[/B]
                          Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
                          BCLK Frequency (MHz) .....................
                          PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

[B]Advanced Clock Control:[/B]
                          CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
                          PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
                          CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
                          IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

[B]Advanced DRAM Features:[/B]
                          Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
                          Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
                          System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [AUTO]
                          DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Manual]

[B]Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:[/B]
                          ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
                          CAS Latency Time ......................
                          tRCD .......................................
                          tRP .........................................
                          tRAS .......................................

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
                          tRC ........................................  (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
                          tRRD .......................................
                          tWTR ......................................
                          tWR ........................................
                          tWTP .......................................
                          tWL ........................................   (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
                          tRFC .......................................
                          tRTP .......................................
                          tFAW ......................................
                          Command Rate (CMD) ................

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
                          Round Trip Latency ...................

[B]Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU[/B]
                          Load Line Calibration ................. [Disabled]
                          CPU Vcore ...............................
                          QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............
                          CPU PLL 1.800v .......................

[B]MCH/ICH[/B]
                          PCIE 1.500v ...........................
                          QPI PLL 1.100v .......................
                          IOH Core 1.100v .....................
                          ICH I/O 1.500v .......................
                          ICH Core 1.1v ........................

[B]DRAM[/B]
                          DRAM Voltage 1.500v ..............
                          DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
                          Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                          Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                          Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                          Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                          Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                          Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
                          Please also link to your ram or give me the model # if you can. I see you say you are using the correct slots for your ram, but no one mentioned what they are.... So to be sure, you are using the correct slots they are the White ones for triple channel

Comment

Lsdmeasap, thank you for the reply.
                            I'm currently on F6i, Loaded the optimized BIOS settings and still no luck, I found a faster way to boot my computer when it fails to boot. it's by removing the ATX power cable and wait for 10 sec. then plug it again ! It will boot after that.

I had this problem withh All the BIOS ver. that I applied, F3,F4j, F4, F5, F6a, F6g, F6h F6i.

Comment

Damn I thought I reached something there, removing the ATX power plug doesn't make booting easier at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X