Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA X48 DQ6 Wont Boot or load Bios after crash - powers up for 2 seconds then cuts out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA X48 DQ6 Wont Boot or load Bios after crash - powers up for 2 seconds then cuts out

System: GA X48 DQ6 / E8500 / OCS Reaper 6400 / Asus EAH 3450

This was a very stable system until it crashed when i plugged in an external usb harddrive :-(

Now it will not boot or load bios. When you turn it on all the V-Phase LEDs on the board light up and all the fans spin for about 2 seconds, then everything cuts out. The system then waits about 5 seconds and tries again - the same happens .... power comes on for 2 seconds then cuts out. The fact all the Phase LEDs light up suggests the cpu is at full load - I dont know if this is normal when you first power up (I've never looked at them before).

I've tried disconnecting everything (including memory and harddrives) and the same thing happens.

I guess it could be a fault with my board, my cpu or my power supply - any idea's anyone ? I really am stuck.

I've cleared the CMOS (using the instructions on this forum). The problem is the same with or without any memory or harddrives installed. The only thing I haven't removed yet is the CPU.

This system was very stable from when i built it 6 months ago untill this crash. Any help would be appreciated - nothing I try seems to make any difference

Re: GA X48 DQ6 Wont Boot or load Bios after crash - powers up for 2 seconds then cuts

Sounds to me like to need to clear the CMOS and load the optimized defaults.
    and leave the fan settings alone.
    That should get it up and running again.
    I have done the same thing before because I changed the fan settings on the board. And always reboot your system after each change to test the operation other wise making multiple changes you won't know which one was the bad one.

Can you please tell me the procedure you used to clear the CMOS on your board?
    Mark
    Last edited by RagenRat; 03-29-2009, 05:05 PM.
    WebMaster
    SiteDirectoryIndex.com

Chevy Xtreme Classic Chevrolet Enthusiast Forums

Comment

Re: GA X48 DQ6 Wont Boot or load Bios after crash - powers up for 2 seconds then cuts

Is there a backup bios on that board?.Use recover to get it?
      Could be your psu didnt like the extra load.
      Did you load optimum defaults before connecting the new hdd?
      Try a different psu?
      Disable legacy support unless the usb hdd is for booting...mm nm u cant hit bios.
      Did you clear cmos fully with jumper and battery out?

The G boards cycle thru 3 tries at posting I think it is,better leave it for 4 to be sure.
      Then hold down the power button until it doesnt start again.
      Turn off the psu switch,1 min usually does me.
      then turn on psu switch,hit power button and give it 4 tries at posting.
      If you still get no bios and have no backup bios:

Cut the pc down to basic items try for post.Leave one stick of ram in then get as far as the turn off psu step above^.
      When psu is off hold down power on button for a min to "drain" any residual power.
      Then try for a post .< I saw in another forum and he mentioned something about turning on the psu as you had the power button held down(after a couple of minutes) and quickly hitting the del key(or whatever key it is to get into your bios).

Thas about all the extra "twiddling" I know of to try,aside from taking the board out of the case for posting n all the other stuff youve read.
      If u have a second "backup" pc or parts,obviously you can try a lot more.
      I was half thinking of selling my backup stuff on ebay,but for the cash d get ,why bother.Any type of overclocking it seems good to have 2nd/3rd generation backup parts,just in case.
      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
      http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

The following might help:
        <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CJIMZY%7E1.JLS%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTem %20%20p%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; punctuation-wrap:simple; text-autospace:none; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
        1) Turn your computer off.
        2) Unplug the external power cable from your power supply (psu).
        3) Press and hold the front ON/OFF switch for 5 seconds.
        4) Wait 5 - 10 minutes or longer.
        5) Reconnect the power cable.
        6) Turn on your computer and immediately enter the bios (if possible). If you can't enter the bios, repeat steps 1 -5 several more times. If the problem remains, you'll need to try clearing CMOS and possibly removing the mobo's battery.

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->These steps will often clear up problems with booting issues.
        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

The G boards cycle thru 3 tries at posting I think it is,better leave it for 4 to be sure.
          Then hold down the power button until it doesnt start again.
          Turn off the psu switch,1 min usually does me.
          then turn on psu switch,hit power button and give it 4 tries at posting.
          If you still get no bios and have no backup bios:

Cut the pc down to basic items try for post.Leave one stick of ram in then get as far as the turn off psu step above^.
          When psu is off hold down power on button for a min to "drain" any residual power.
          Then try for a post .< I saw in another forum and he mentioned something about turning on the psu as you had the power button held down(after a couple of minutes) and quickly hitting the del key(or whatever key it is to get into your bios).
          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

Thanks for all your replies and all your assistance. Unfortunately I've now tried everything suggested at least once and nothing seems to improve the situation.

No idea if it will help, but here are my further observations:
            - The board is now stripped right down to basics (PSU, CPU + Fan, Graphics card, Keyboard (not usb), Memory, and case switch connection) - No change - tries to post/boot for 2 seconds then cuts out

- I tried removing the Graphics Card and the only change was that it now turned on for about 1 second (noticably less than with the graphics card in) then cuts out - Dont know if this means anything

- Removing the memory makes no difference (either just one stick or both sticks)

- CMOS has now been cleared a few times, all done carefully following instructions given on this forum

I'm starting to think it may be the PSU, which is a relatively old Seasonic SS-500HT 500w PSU (I think about 4 years old that has been used for a least a few hours every day over those years). Perhaps 500W is not enough juice for this system and maybe it blew when I connected up the external hard drive.

Im going to order a PSU tester off ebay and see what that says.

Thanks for all your help so far, and for any further ideas / opinions you may have.

Cheers, Andy.

Comment

Have you tried testing with only 1 memory module installed? Have you tried a minimal boot with only 1 module in different slots?

In a recent thread (with a different mobo) the boot issue was solved when the user discovered that one of his memory modules was not fully seated in the dram slot.

Do you have an external speaker hooked up to the speaker pins on your mobo? You haven't said anything one way or the other about your computer burping .... err... beeping.
              Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
              P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
              4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
              MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
              Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
              WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
              Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
              SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
              Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
              Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
              Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
              MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
              Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
              HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
              CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
              E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
              Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
              Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
              HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
              win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I have tried with one stick of Ram in each of the 4 slots, and tried each of my 2 sticks individually (in case one stick is now faulty) - no difference.

My internal case speaker is connected, but the PC cuts out before the speaker beeps.

Hopefully I'll be able to borrow a spare PSU off a mate tonight so I will be able rule that part out one way or the other.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Andy.

Comment

If the systems crashed while plugging the USB drive in, you may have experienced a static discharge.
                  In some (unlucky) cases, the discharge hits the inner part part of the USB socket, rather than the outer (grounded). I my case, this lead to at least a couple of crashes/freezes.
                  You may have fried a part of you MB...

Comment

As I said . I dont know if the board is dual bios or not,too lazy to check.
                    If it isnt or even if it is what "steps"from the forum have you taken to clear the cmos?.
                    To rule it out .turn off the psu,plug out the power cord,Hold down the pwer button for 2-3 min.plug out usbs and peripherals.
                    Take out the battery.Pull the mbrd out of the case.short out the cmos jumper,leave it overnight.
                    If that doesnt rule it out,I dont know what would..
                    Current Systems:

Comment

Working...
                    X