Ram question...do I get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram question...do I get it?

You can see by my signature what my system looks like. I'm not a gamer. I entered gaming with Pong and left with the original Mario Bros. (played on a trip to Japan before the game came to the US) I never got past level 2 if that's any indication. So chewing gum and walking in a simultaneous manner is flat out.

My hobby is flight simulation. I get to play with the airplane's computer that my computer is computing. So for the most part my rig is profound overkill (ya think? ...a quad running XP instead of a hot duo?) but the day just might come...that Windows 7 is something better than...well you know...and maybe I can dual boot? The new MS FlightsimX only runs on Vista and all my money is tied up with the prior version running on XP.

So...to make a short story long, I'd like to bring my memory in line with the rest of my hardware. From what I've gleaned from several articles is that a nice set of 2 x 2BG G.SKILL PI black PC2-6400 is good enough. PC2-8500, though in theory more bandwidth, really isn't worth the investment in the kind of computing I do... unless... I'm missing something. I do some folding at home which does use all 4 cores via SMP... so occasionally put a bit of a strain on the old girl. Realize XP wasn't really designed for more than 2gig but will use around 3 if present? Feel free to set me straight...thanks!

Re: Ram question...do I get it?

Sounds like you have it pretty well down all to me. Just be sure you get a good CAS4 set of 6400, which I think you mention anyway.

The 2x2 upgrade will help your Flight Simulator and folding as well so your PC will thank you

Ya, depending on your GFX Card you will see 3-3.25GB in XP x86

Comment

Working...
    X