RAID and my EP45-UD3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID and my EP45-UD3R

Am trying to set up my be all end all machine...at least for this year. Recently purchased an EP45-UD3R. Have 6 disk drives. Using the Intel Matrix system, I want to set up a 4 disk RAID (4 320GB WD disks-all same model) and on those 4 disks put a RAID 1 and a RAID 5. Speed is not an issue for the RAID 5 since it serves my purpose (music and video library). The RAID1 will serve for backups. That part is cool and I can set that up.

My question is with the Gigabyte controller. On that I'd like to run a RAID1 with identical WD 250GB drives. It is a question of how to pull off this second part. I have one of the 250 drives with 2 partitions, a C: for XP and D: for data. The other 250GB drive is unformatted. Is there a method by which I can keep the C: D: drive, make it part of the RAID1 and add the second drive without reformatting the first drive as I make it part of a RAID set? I.E. put the disk with the opsys and data on the first port of the controller and add the 2nd drive all without formatting or having to lose anything while creating the RAID1 pair?

If the answer is no, can I move the data to my Intel (ICH10R) RAID1, format and create my system on the Gigabyte RAID controller and after booting, still find my RAID 1 and RAID 5 intact so I can pull my data back. The benefit is I'd gain a fresh install of XP, not a big deal. Losing my data partition is a VERY big deal. Wish I had an external drive, but no $$$ right now.

Suggestions/answers/procedure?

Thanks in advance!

Re: RAID and my EP45-UD3R

What you would want to do is leave your Intel controller disks/arrays as you have them, this are all backup/date storage correct? Just checking.

If so, then whatever you want/need on the single 250Gb disk you will need to copy/backup onto the Intel arrays you have setup then just create a new array on the Gigabyte controller with those 2 x250Gb disks (Control + G). No need to format, the data will be deleted when you create a new array.

I think that is basically what you described in the last paragraph right? Not sure what you are asking about finding your RAID 1 and 5 on the Intel controllers as they would not have been touched in this process except for backing up your data to.

One thing you will need to do is move your New Array (Gigabyte controller array) to the top of the Hard Disk Boot Priority in the advanced BIOS page, after you create the array in the Gigabyte RAID BIOS ROM. Then install XP using the f6 Gigabyte/J.Micron drivers

Hope that helps, if not please do ask away, and sorry If I confused things more???

Want to know how I would do it?

I would create my OS array (2x250) on the Intel Controller using Ports 0+1.

Then split the other 4 disks up, putting two onto the Gigabyte controller by themselves in RAID 1. Then put your remaining two drives onto the Intel Controller (ports 2+3) and set those up as your RAID 5.

I would do it this way so that your OS could get the major speed advantage the Intel Controller provides

Comment

Thanks Lsdmeasap for the insight. I went ahead and did the deed and did blow out my 250GB. Not really unexpected. I wanted the speed on my RAID 1, actually 10 (0+1) RAID, the first on the MATRIX. That all stayed intact. When I tried to add the disks to the Gigabyte RAID controller, pretty sure it blew out the MBR or something equally as bad. So I set the Gigabyte as a RAID1 and reinstalled XP. Lesson learned. BTW, I wanted the speed on the first RAID (10) on the INTEL controller. Backup, not speed a consideration on the Gigabyte controller. I don't use the RAID 10 at the same time as the RAID 5, so there is no conflict. Also, I always had the proper boot disk set up in the BIOS. Appreciate the response...Thanks!

Comment

Well good to hear you got it all worked out, sorry for the late reply there. At least all is working now!

Post back anytime if you have any other questions and we will try out best to help you out

Comment

Working...
        X