965G-DS3 REV 1 Heating up power supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 965G-DS3 REV 1 Heating up power supply

I have the followin configuration P4 520J /965G DS3 REV1 BIOS F10M /1G DDR2 KINGMAX 1000MHZ /WDC 250G AAKS /6600GT /350W HIPER 4S350 /ANTEC P150

The problem is that the power supply heats up really bad in the back, and the fan works at full speed. All of this in idle, minutes after turning on the computer. If i take the power supply out of the case it still heats up, so it isn't a bad airflow problem. I took out everything like hdd, cdrom, 6600 gt and it still heats up, even on onboard video.
    The thing is that if i put the components on a table the powersupply is cold, and works normal. It heats up only when i put the mainboard in the case.
    I have tested with two 4s350 and both heat up. Only with a 4m580 it didn't.
    And i have plastic fixers for the mb instead of screws.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by fanegaraj; 03-15-2009, 06:04 PM.

Re: 965G-DS3 REV 1 Heating up power supply

We need a little more info to tell whether you have a problem.
    Can you describe why you think the PSU is too hot? What is it that's hot, just the exhaust air? Can you measure the exhaust air temperture? Is it still hot if you leave the case door open?
    How many case fans do you have? Can you post a pic of the inside of your PC?

PS: It's normal for the PSUs exhaust air to be noticeably hotter when mounted inside a case, as the PSU draws air from inside the case, where the temperature is usually 10-15C hotter than the ambient air temp in your room. This causes the exhaust air to also be 10-15C hotter than when you have all the parts outside (where the PSU draws cold ambient air).

Comment

I don't think there is an airflow problem because if i take the power supply out of the case and put it on the table while the rest of the component are inside the case it still works at full throttle.

The psu gets hot in the back, opposite to the honeycomb, the air is hot and also the case.
      If i take the motherboard out of the case the psu works normal it doesn't heat up at all.

Comment

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
        X