I sort of feel like giving up - EP45-UD3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sort of feel like giving up - EP45-UD3R

I don't know where to really begin - I got this board about a month ago and it's been a struggle to get it working properly. :(

I have two sticks of PC2 8500 OCZ ram (OCZ2RPR10664GK) and being able to use both sticks in dual channel mode has been a terrible experience. Luckily, i think i've managed to sacrifice enough newborn babies, and, for the moment, it's "working". However, every couple of minutes my system completely locks up, coupled with stuttering sounds- this happens while browsing the internet, playing a game, listening to music or watching a movie. Thinking that it had something to do with the ram, i foolishly went out and god another pair only to have the same issue arise.
    So i now have 8 gigs of ram, but i won't dare add the other two sticks in (i'm sure that'll require another thousand newborns plus an elephant or something), but what seems to be a really handicapped system.

I've got an e6750 cpu, an ATI 4850, 3 sata hard drives, 2 sticks of 2 GB ram, an old creative audigy gamer and a 650 watt power supply. I'm currently using the F7a bios, which i flashed with @bios (i'll stop using that program as suggested). Changing anything in the bios usually results in a reboot loop, but i've managed to change the ram voltage to 2.2 and the vcore to 1.45 as suggested by some of the posts here. However, i'm a little nervous about touching anything else, because, well, a lot of it looks really foreign and admittedly im no where near as good as you folks are when it comes to messing around with these settings.

Re: I sort of feel like giving up - EP45-UD3R

We need more info.
    Are you overclocking? If not there's no reason to change the Vcore.
    Have you tested the RAM sticks seperately? What programs did you use? If you did not test them then use Memtest86+ or Prime 95 in Windows to do that.
    What's the brand of your PSU?
    Did all the hardware run fine with your previous board or is this a completely new build?

Comment

Yeah, i've tested each stick with memtest doing several passes. I'm not overclocking, and some of this is hardware from another build (the graphics card and the hard drives)... the psu is a 650 watt antec. I've run 4 different sticks individually, and i'm pretty sure the issue happens then as it does with 2 sticks in.

Comment

Waht RAM slots did you try? Try a single stick in slot 3, which should be the one you used for your second DIMM.
        Have you tried running dual channel in slot 2 and 4?

Comment

I'm currently using two sticks, slots 2 and 4. Switching to slots 1 and 3 hasn't really worked out in the past.

Comment

I think ill stop posting about high voltages soon:).
            However I happen to have a magazine open at the moment and your cpu is on 1.5v at standard cooling 465mhz(3.7g cpu) peak temp 92 degrees,owie .
            Then same settings with enhanced air cooling and capped at 70 degrees.test performance is the same across games and video,
            Theyre using water cooling for1.6v +(490mhz fsb,3.9g cpu) and temps are lower. but performance isnt much different.

What is it you are trying for tho,is it working ok now?.
            Changing bios and reboot loop(for me) is ive gone wrong and it wont post.
            Like Ive posted before I was lucky/normal everything worked fine from the start,up to near the limits.

EDIT:Heh oops ,I was replying to the original first thread.. and u guys had 4 in while I was checking the article!..carry on.
            Last edited by kick; 03-15-2009, 04:43 PM.
            Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
            Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
            Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
            8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
            60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
            GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
            Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
            http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

What does that mean, not woruked out int he past? Please be mroe clear and take a little time to really explain your problem. If you wrote down everything you tried I might even be able to tell you where the problems, but having us guess what you have tried and what not is kind of a waste of time.

Comment

In the past, when i've tried to use slots 1 and 3, i end up with a reboot loop. I remember clearing the cmos and it'll continue doing the same thing. At one point i started pressing tab early on to see the POST read out and i'd see it get to the point where it detected the hard drive, but after that it'd hang.

Comment

Try the RAM in single channel mode in slots 1&2 and see if that works. If it does and neither 1&3 nor 2&4 work then your board is defective.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
                    Try the RAM in single channel mode in slots 1&2 and see if that works. If it does and neither 1&3 nor 2&4 work then your board is defective.
                    I appreciate your help, but it's a nightmare trying to get everything working properly after getting stuck in a reboot loop, which will no doubt end up happening if i change the slightest thing with the ram. I guess ill just live with this stuttering stuff and pick up another mobo down the road.

Comment

You added voltage for the ram? try adding +0.20v on the vDimm voltage. and add +0.2v on the MCHv also, this will stabilise the system when you do get it to boot fine with your setup as stated in the first post.

Make sure to monitor temperatures with speedfan or everest or some other tool of your choice. Put a spare fan over the ram if you want to keep temperature problems out of the question.

Hope that helps.

You should also be aware that a number of people on the forums have had the issue with not being able to use all 4 slots on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by infiniti25 View Post
                        You should also be aware that a number of people on the forums have had the issue with not being able to use all 4 slots on this board.
                        Thanks for the tips, ill give it a shot. As far as the ram slots issue, has that ever been solved, or is it just something that i shouldn't ever hope to get working?

Comment

I feel your pain Burning Eye. I have had 3 of these boards, 2 of them rev 1.0 and 1 a rev 1.1.
                          I can not get dual channel to work for me at all, so feel lucky you can even do that.
                          Gaming rig:
                          XP Sp3
                          Gigabyte EP45-UD3R bios F7a beta rev 1.0
                          Q9550 GO OC'd 4ghz(471x8.5) with tuniq tower
                          1 stick 2gigs G-Skill PI 8800s b/c this damn board won't run both sticks
                          eVGA 8800Ultra Vanilla w/backplate--650core/1127mem/1654shader
                          (1)500gig seagate 7200.10 main storage
                          (2)320gig seagate 7200.10 sata extra storage
                          lite on 20x dvd-burner sata
                          corsair hx520 psu
                          antec 900 case

Comment

:) this is the guy who has had no end of trouble with this model of board and it's not with just one set of ram, he has changed out almost every component and still had issues.

I doubt there is a resolution, I think you can put it down to either bad board design or many bad manufacturing batches. Who knows for sure?!

Comment

This is gonna sound pathetic, but i think i solved my problem. I guess i was experiencing Hard Drive thrashing, so after doing a little bit of reading, i've come to the understanding the that the purple ports on the mobo well... shouldn't really be used? So i put them in the yellow and the stuttering stopped.
                              As a side note, i don't think i've ever dealt with a board that has so many little nuances.

Comment

Working...
                              X