EX58-UD5 problems and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EX58-UD5 problems and questions

Hi all! First of all, sorry if my english is bad.

This is my new system:
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5 (F5Bios wit @BIOS - i know, it's not safe!)
    Intel i7 920
    Kingston HyperX 3*1GB DDR3 1600Mhz.

I have a lot of "surprises" and problems with it:

1. Even if I have 3GB or Ram, in OS (MS Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit) I see just 2,75GB. In BIOS it's 3GB and just here. I don't know where is the problem, because I read some things and I think that it's a hardware problem. What can be the problem? It's clearly that all modules are working, but...

2. My memory runs at 1066Mhz, and I don't know how to make the settings to run at full speed (1600Mhz). I have read motherboard's manual and understand nothing. This new thing with i7 seems to be hard for me.

3. If i want to overclock my CPU with stock cooler on this board, what I need to do? I want to do a safe OC for that cooling method, something around 3Ghz or how I can without make the voltages higher.
    I need just to set BLK to higher value or I nedd to do something else? What values... I am not an overclocker (even if I read on forums about that, I still don't know, that it's why I ask).

4. My computer startup it's veeeery slow. I need to wait around 3-4minutes from when I push the power button to that screen where I can log on computer. But I think that this is a software problem...

Anyhow, I want to set my harddrive to SATA/AHCI and I can't boot into OS. When I set "Sata Raid/Ahci Mode" to Ahci, "Sata port 0-3 Native" to Sata I need to put the "Onboard Sata Ide Ctrl Mode" to Sata too?! I have to mention that my HDDs are on Intel controller, not Jmicron.

Thanks, I hope that someone can make this thing clear to me, especially the first and second (major) problem.
    Desktop: Intel i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz | Titan Fenrir Evo | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB| Seagate 500GB Enterprise ST3500320NS
    Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ | Antec Twelve Hundred | Optiarc 7260S | Fortron Epsilon 700W | Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW | Logitech 2.1 Z2300 THX | Logitech G5 & Logitech G15
    Netbook: Acer Aspire One AOD255E-N55CQcc Brown | Intel Atom N550 | 2GB DDR3 | Intel GMA 3150 | 320GB HDD | 10.1" Glossy LED | 6 Cell @ Up To 8 Hours | 1.3MP Webcam

Even if others did not consider that you have any value - for your dog you're the center of the universe.
    My number one rule is hope at all good in the world but to expect everything to be worse.

Re: EX58-UD5 problems and questions

1) Windows Vista may need to be updated to SP1 at lease to display round figures of RAM. Do you have SP1 Installed??
    4) Its possible that if you have been changing SATA settings that you have something going on there. All you need is to set SATA to IDE and Enable NATIVE MODE. HDD in SATA 0 , DVD in SATA 3 or above? Try that.
    I had a play with AHCI mode and from what I could determine there is really not much benifit from it aside from HOT SWAP ability on SATA. So if your not using HOT SWAP then IDE with Native Mode Enabled will be the best thing for you. AHCI seems to slow the boot process also while it detects devices. The "Onboard SATA" is refering to the Jmicron (gigabyte) controllers on the board, generally a different color like purple or something. As in many other threads the performance on these ports is not up to the INTEL ones so unless you run out of ports just disable onboard SATA.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Also as you said @BIOS is not the best way to flash the BIOS. Its Possible that maybe you should reflash using QBIOS but I guess if its working then its not that nessacary.
      2) I dont know much about X58 but Id assume there is some sorta memory Multiplier which may need to be bumped up. I would perhaps "Load Optimum Defaults" in the BIOS and see how that goes. It will run you CPU at stock though so note your settings if you have any overclocking attempts.
      Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
      Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

1. 32bit systems can only use 4GB total, depending on your GFX card and other hardware. Since you have a 2GB GFX Card I am surprised you do not see only 1GB available. I do advise you get x64 for your setup, especially with that GFX Card

2. To run 1600 Memory speed, you can either enable XMP if your ram has it or manually set it up. TO do that, you will need to set your Memory Voltage to 1.6-1.65, set your QPI/Vtt voltage to 1.2-1.35, QPI Multi to x36, Set Uncore Multi to 2 x your memory multiplier, then depending on you Blck you will need to select a Memory Multiplier that equals 1600. So if you are running stock 133 Blck, then you would choose 12 Memory Multiplier, and choose 24 Uncore Multiplier. Then you can either set your memory timings yourself to spec or use Auto

3. I don't know how well a stock cooler would work, and I don't know how much voltage 3.0Ghz would take but you would likely need to increase Vcore and of course your Blck. Have you read the Gigabyte Guide for overclocking to 4Ghz? Not that you should use that, but just so you have an idea of what you need to change to overclock. Here is that guide >>>

Also you may want to read this one as well, just so you know what each setting is >>

4. Your PC is slow already, if you enable AHCI it will bootup slower. But yes, you cannot just enable this, you must enable AHCI BEFORE you install your OS, and it will require a AHCI Driver (Vista does not require one because it has a generic one, but I would use your own Intel AHCI Driver anyway from your boards driver page)

OS Disk should be installed on the First SATA Port on the Intel Controller, this is the Blue Ports the one labeled SATAII 0

This is how you should set those settings you asked about for AHCI mode >>>

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI
        SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

This is the Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports) Only need to be enabled if you are using those ports for storage or CD/DVD drive, or you have any IDE Device connected
        Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled Or disabled, depending on above mentioned things.

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Here is how normal SATA/IDE/PATA (NON RAID OR AHCI MODE)

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled
        SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

This is the Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports) Only need to be enabled if you are using those ports for storage or CD/DVD drive, or you have any IDE Device connected
        Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled Or disabled, depending on above mentioned things.

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Comment

@NimrodAUS

1. Yes, I have Windows with integrated SP1. I have all necessary updates...

2. When i reflashed the BIOS, the settings was default, but the memory frequency is 1066Mhz (default freq.). And yes, I see that there is a multiplier - with "12" value it should run at 1600Mhz.
          Thank you for the help! I will reflash with QBios when F6 final will be released.

4. It's not so much settings for SATA, just 3, i think. My HDD with OS is HDD0, yes. I want that for hotswap and NCQ and my HDD are on Intel controller.

@Lsdmeasap

1. My OS is 32bit, and I know that 4GB it's maximum, but me, with 3GB it should be 3, not 2,75GB. I don't understand, if I have a graphic card with 2GB it's a problem with the system memory, or what? Why I should see only 1GB? I need a x64 OS for GXF card? This is a new thing for me, i don't know until that. And about x64, I can't, i have OEM licence 32bit...

2. I know about XMP, but i don't find it anywhere in BIOS. I will try to set all that manual. I put the multiplier 12, and now, in CPUZ for example at Memory tab i see DRAM Frequency 799,4Mhz (*2=1600Mhz) BUT in SPD tab at any memory module I see Max Bandwidth 667Mhz. Why?!

3. I don't read the 4Ghz Overclock, but I read on the internet some thing, I have an ideea about that. The thing is that I am not sure about voltages, multipliers.
          I just have OC my computer to 3,2Ghz. First time the system did not boot, i cleared the CMOS, I make all settings again carefully and that is. CPUz shows me 3,2Ghz (20multiplier 160BCLK) but the temperature was high - around 60 in IDLE and my case speaker started to alarm something (I don't know what). Without a new CPU cooler I don't do any more OC.
          Where you said a variable voltage (ex: QPI/Vtt voltage to 1.2-1.35) there is a problem if I set it to the lowest value 1.2? I think not, if the system runs fine.
          But thanks! You helped me to learn something and to understand how to OC my system ( link to corei7_x58_bios_guide).

4. I know, it's slow, but If it's for a good cause, it worth that slower boot time. I have an HDD that it's not in the case, I connect it from exterior and I need HotSwap. Then, if I have two Seagate with NQC I think that I could profit from it.
          When I will reinstall my OS I will activate this. Until that I will search for all needed drivers.
          Desktop: Intel i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz | Titan Fenrir Evo | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 | 8GB Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz CL9 | Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB| Seagate 500GB Enterprise ST3500320NS
          Samsung F3 1TB HD103SJ | Antec Twelve Hundred | Optiarc 7260S | Fortron Epsilon 700W | Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW | Logitech 2.1 Z2300 THX | Logitech G5 & Logitech G15
          Netbook: Acer Aspire One AOD255E-N55CQcc Brown | Intel Atom N550 | 2GB DDR3 | Intel GMA 3150 | 320GB HDD | 10.1" Glossy LED | 6 Cell @ Up To 8 Hours | 1.3MP Webcam

Even if others did not consider that you have any value - for your dog you're the center of the universe.
          My number one rule is hope at all good in the world but to expect everything to be worse.

Comment

Hello to everyone.

Im new to the forum and i read d4m4g3's post about GA-EX38 series.

Here is an e-mail that i sent on gigabyte support and still is unresolved . My problems with ACHI mode on vista x64 and the unstable system for both Vista64 and Xp32 seems to be a serious problem on New gigabyte boards .

Sent : 3/27/2009 18:13
            Question : Hello

I want your help about an EX58-UD4 board.
            I want you to know that i have tried also Windows Vista Ultimate x64 with exactly the same problems that i have on xp32 .

The most annoying problem that im getting is that both of my SATA Optical Drivers open and close the tray at random times , Plextor Drive is getting unrecognised and i can recover it only if i restart the system .

The 2nd problem is that my system freezing all the time also i tried to run it only with one dimm of ram but the problem still exist at random times or on heavy load.

And finally the last issue is that my Leadtek PxDVR3200 H is running out of resources and became unavailable until i restart the system.

*There is no irq managment on BIOS so i cannot see if there is a system conflict..

I used also an ASUS board in my system and everything worked without any issue.

Updated ** The Interface PCB of my external WD Drive was overheated during connection through firewire on EX58-UD4 . In Asus Board and the rest Computers that i tested the disk i didnt had any problem.

Updated ****** Still computer is freezing and eject both of optical drives at random time. I removed every device exept 2 opticals and Hard drives which are SATA connectable , Graphics Card on 1st PCiEx16 , G15 & G9 Mouse/Keyb on Rear USB and i replaced the memory with 2x2GB more Stable Kingston 1333.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Model Name : GA-EX58-UD4(rev. 1.0)
            --------------------------
            M/B Rev : 1.0
            BIOS Ver : F3
            Serial No. : SN0***********
            Purchase Dealer : E-SHOP GREECE
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            VGA Brand : Asus Model : EAH4870X2
            CPU Brand : Intel Model : Core i7 965 Speed : 3.20
            Operation System : Win XP SP : 3
            Memory Brand : Corsair Type : DDR3
            Memory Size : 6GB Speed : 1600
            Power Supply : 1000 W

PLEXTOR PX810SA ,
            LG GGW H20L ,
            SEAGATE 1TB ,
            SEAGATE 1,5TB ,
            WD320JB ,
            Creative XFi Elite Pro , Technisat Skystar 2 , Leadtek PxDVR3200 H , and the usb devices ( Logitech G9 , Logitech G15 , Linksys WAG160N Eth, ThrustMaster HOTAS COUGAR , Canon Pixma iP4600 , 8.2 Surround (Digital+Analog on Xi-Fi)
            ,MGE UPS USB Managed , 1 Firewire port in Use.

onBoard Audio and Serial Port are Disabled from BIOS.

Case CoolerMaster Cosmos S Alluminum Full tower Case .

4 x System fans

Low system/parts temperature .

Comment

Now, after some time when my desktop was running fine, it doesn't work any more.

Last night was ok, i turn it off, and today when i start it, it doesn't work.
              I got a message "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and press Enter". In BIOS i don't see any hard drive(SATA) or optical drive (SATA), i can't start up the system, i can't boot from a CD, i can't do nothing. But when i connected an old hard drive on SATA (another free slot) but powered with a Molex connector for this time, it appers in BIOS.
              I was thinking that it is not current on SATA connector, but the optical drive can be opened, but it not reads, the HDD are trying to spin but are not seen in BIOS.

The motherboards Debug Led show "FF", the coolers are running, at the Gigabyte picture from POST it stays very much, and that is all.

What can I do? What it means the FF- code? How do i repair my computer? I have a lot of problems with it, i don't know that to think anymore... Please help me, i need the computer.

Later Edit: When i disconnected one HDD from the SATA cable the other HDD and the optical drive was there in BIOS. But i can't boot into Windows because something is missing. What does it means?
              Last edited by d4m4g3; 05-26-2009, 10:12 AM. Reason: Add some info

Comment

Originally posted by d4m4g3 View Post
                Now, after some time when my desktop was running fine, it doesn't work any more.

Last night was ok, i turn it off, and today when i start it, it doesn't work.
                I got a message "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and press Enter". In BIOS i don't see any hard drive(SATA) or optical drive (SATA), i can't start up the system, i can't boot from a CD, i can't do nothing. But when i connected an old hard drive on SATA (another free slot) but powered with a Molex connector for this time, it appers in BIOS.
                I was thinking that it is not current on SATA connector, but the optical drive can be opened, but it not reads, the HDD are trying to spin but are not seen in BIOS.

The motherboards Debug Led show "FF", the coolers are running, at the Gigabyte picture from POST it stays very much, and that is all.

What can I do? What it means the FF- code? How do i repair my computer? I have a lot of problems with it, i don't know that to think anymore... Please help me, i need the computer.

Later Edit: When i disconnected one HDD from the SATA cable the other HDD and the optical drive was there in BIOS. But i can't boot into Windows because something is missing. What does it means?
                Hi, I just built a same system (UD5 + i7 920) like yours, and I am experiencing some unstable problem with XP 32 bit.
                So far I don't see the exact same problem as yours, but it seems updating BIOS could help. I "QFlash"ed it to F7 and disable the AHCI and installed XP 32 bit and Win7 64 bit with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by niels View Post
                  Hi, I just built a same system (UD5 + i7 920) like yours, and I am experiencing some unstable problem with XP 32 bit.
                  So far I don't see the exact same problem as yours, but it seems updating BIOS could help. I "QFlash"ed it to F7 and disable the AHCI and installed XP 32 bit and Win7 64 bit with no problem.
                  I have F6 BIOS, and I found the problem, I think.
                  One hard drive has broke, it's dead. His motor is running but when the hard drive it's connected to the system I don't see any storage drive in BIOS.
                  When I disconnect it I see the optical drive and the other hard drive in BIOS, the computer boot with an Ubuntu Live CD, etc. I see that the other HDD is good, it's working.

This hard drive it's dead, no? I tested it on another system and I have the same symptoms. In a way, I am happy because this dead hard drive was the HDD with Windows etc and I don't lost any pictures or any personal things.

Seagate are bad!

Comment

Originally posted by d4m4g3 View Post
                    Seagate are bad!
                    All Hard Drives can Fail. Some more so than others. I have been using seagate since forever and ive had one "possibly" bad drive in the last 12 years. So yeah I wouldnt say seagate are bad, but in your case disapointing.
                    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

It is not an generalization, but for me, the HDD from signature are the first Seagate.
                      I can not be optimistic about this brand any more - after just 6 months I lost a drive.
                      And I hear a lot of people having problems with Seagate (not ES.2 like me).

Anyway, a hard drive is consumable, mechanic, that's it! We should care about all the data and do often a backup copy. I'm glad that is not a worse problem with my computer after I noticed that no longer work.

Comment

Working...
                      X