Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are my SATA drives detected as scsi

Hi,
    On my MA69GM-S2H, although I'm not using RAID, Windows identifies SATA drives as SCSI devices.

One disadvantage of this is that it doesn't allow one to monitor the drives' SMART parameters.

What must I change in the BIOS settings?

cheers
    Ze

Re: Why are my SATA drives detected as scsi

Do you have AHCI Enabled? SCSI may just be showing due to this, or due to the driver you used during install

What OS are you using? It really does sound to me like you have AHCI setup/enabled during the install. Where are you seeing SCSI, what program or windows tool?

If you are sure you do not have AHCI Setup, then you need to enable HDD Smart Capability on the Advanced BIOS page

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Do you have AHCI Enabled? SCSI may just be showing due to this, or due to the driver you used during install
      I tried it with both Native IDE and AHCI set in the BIOS, but Windows always sees the drives as scsi.

What OS are you using?
      Windows XP Pro

It really does sound to me like you have AHCI setup/enabled during the install. Where are you seeing SCSI, what program or windows tool?
      I'm seeing the drives listed as scsi devices everywhere, e.g. "Device manager", Speedfan can only "see" the IDE drive and read its smart attributes. The SATA drives aren't seen by Speedfan, or any other similar program.

If you are sure you do not have AHCI Setup, then you need to enable HDD Smart Capability on the Advanced BIOS page
      I always leave HDD Smart Capability enabled in the BIOS. As far as the AHCI setting, I've tried both native IDE, legacy and RAID->AHCI.

The way I see it, Windows isn't really treating the 4 SATA ports as individual ports, but rather as drives attached to a RAID controller - although the feature isn't being used.

Is there any way to make these drives appear as simple SATA drives?
      Perhaps I need to remove some drivers, or disable the RAID controller in Windows' device manager?

regards

Comment

Well I do not know much about AMD or AMD Based chipsets, but I can say if you used "Express Install" from the motherboard CD then you likely installed RAID or AHCI drivers you did not need/want

You may need to do a clean install, or at least backup your system (mirror/ghost ect) and then you could try uninstalling the RAID Driver/device in device manager.

You cannot switch from IDE to RAID or AHCI without drivers present during the Install or afterward (You cannot ever switch from RAID to IDE or visa versa so I doubt you had tried that), so that may be what has happened you installed drivers you do not need.

If you can switch from IDE to AHCI or AHCI to IDE in the BIOS, then that is what happened.

I would suggest a clean install, it would be the best for your system. Setup the BIOS to IDE/PATA/Normal (NON AHCI/RAID) before you install then you should be fine. You could try to uninstall that device or driver, but it may crash your system so if you do be sure you have a backup or are ready for a clean install

Comment

Working...
        X