X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with 1TB drives

Hi all,
    I own an MA69GM-S2H.
    Until recently I had two 500GB drives in there and they both worked fine.

Now I tried installing a 1TB hdd (WD RE2 Greenpower).
    The Bios (latest F6) recognizes the drive's presence, yet it displays it as having 0GB - i.e. no space.

Then Windows doesn't aknowledge its presence, not even as a drive having 0GB. Before anyone asks: yes, I went to the Windows storage/admin console to look for inactive partitions, but the hdd doesn't even exist according to Windows.

What can I do?

thanks
    Ze

Re: Problems with 1TB drives

Theres only a few people scanning at any one time to see if they might have any problem solving tips.
    Only one of those might actually be getting paid cash to do it,at least I hope they are.
    For most everyone else its "I might know something about this" and they will post,but Its probably good to do one thread at a time and post your full system information/bios settings etc.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

On the software side, I'm running Win XP Pro 32.

About the BIOS settings, I currently have everything at default.

If you want to know the remaining hardware:

-Motherboard: MA69GM-S2H
      -BIOS: F6
      -1 PATA drive used as boot drive
      -2x500GB Hdds (one Seagate and one WD) connected to 2 of the 4 SATA ports on the mohterboard
      -no fdd, no optical drives
      -AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
      -2GB DDR2

This has been working fine for over 1 year (using F1 BIOS until yesterday). The only exception being that it lists my SATA drives as scsi drives, but since the drives work fine, I never bothered to change that.

Anyway, as I said originally, now I do have a serious problem, in that the new 1TB hdd isn't being recognized. This hdd is a WD RE2 GreenPower connected to the 3rd sata port on the motherboard.
      Since I saw that BIOS F4 solved problems with 1TB hdds, I flashed the motherboard from F1 to F6. But this didn't solve anything.

Upon boot/post, the motherboard detects the hdd (but in the BIOS lists its capacity as 0MB (zero MB)).
      Then windows simply doesn't see it at all. Nothing.

Hope this is enough info now.

thanks

Comment

I wish Kick

Your drive may need setup with the WD tools for first use, this sets up the first partition and marks the drive as active for OS Install. Some disks need this, some do not and I have not used a WD in a while so not sure if this one does not not. What you should check first is if there is a jumper on the drive, remove it.

Then download both of these tools by name, in whichever format you want to use (Windows based tools can be installed on another PC and run with this drive connected to it, the others will be from DOS Floppy or CD Bootable ISO and must be burned as a ISO Image)

You want Data Lifeguard Tools and Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, use the Diagnostics first to scan the drive to be sure it is not DOA. Then if all seems to be ok run the Lifeguard Tools and choose setup drive for OS install or First use.

WD Support > Downloads > SATA Hard Drives > WD RE2-GP

OR

As you noticed a TB Drive BIOS update F4, when you flashed to F6 did you load and apply optimized defaults and then save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS before making your changes? If not, you did not properly flash the BIOS and this fix from F4 onwards will not have been applied likely. I would advise you go into the BIOS and load optimized defaults now and save/apply/reboot and come back to the BIOS and see if anything changes.

If not, then you may need to do the above to setup the disk, or check to be sure it is not DOA (Happens often I think with WD, why I use Seagate) But yes, it happens with them all often, for anyone else about to say something
        GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA69GM-S2H (rev. 1.0)

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
          I followed your advice, and nothing worked.

So I then moved the hdd to another PC (now with 965P-DS4 mainboard) with Vista installed and the problem was the same.
          The only difference was that Vista actually detected the drive, but couldn't initialize it.
          WD's own tools couldn't handle the drive - it always failed the diagnostics, both under Windows and DOS.

Oh, I even tried to set it to operate in SATA I mode, but it didn't change anything.

So, to make a long story short: the hdd was the culprit.

thanks for your help.

Comment

Ahh, sorry to hear! Ya, I got to many DOA's and dying WD Drives a few years back and have since moved onto Seagate and have not had any issues.

But it happens to them all, sorry to hear you got the DOA this time around.

Good luck with your RMA on the drive

Comment

Working...
            X