EP45-UD3R Motherboard Won't start - no video, 3 beeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3R Motherboard Won't start - no video, 3 beeps

I was running this motherboard fine for a month or two now. Recently I tried to set up two of my three hard drives in raid (note: these hard drives aren't new they have been connected the whole time and I changed nothing at all hardware wise). When enabling raid in the BIOS and then restarting it would no longer start and won't even show any video and after about 1-2 sec instead of the normal beep it will beep 3 times fast then restart shortly after.

Re: EP45-UD3R Motherboard Won't start - no video, 3 beeps

Will it start normally if you remove the drives all together?

Please try that, and if no luck please try clearing your CMOS using the method I outline here in post # 2 >>

What ports, color and #, do you have the drives connected to anyway and was this RAID you attempted to create for your OS or not? And what BIOS are you using?

Please also post your full spec's incase you do get it going and we need to change any settings

Comment

It doesn't start even with all the drives removed . I tried even just the MB/Processor and it still had the same 3 beeps.

I tried clearing the CMOS as you described and it didn't work. I used the jumped on the clear CMOS pins and took out the battery and unplugged it for 24 hours still no luck.

The two hard drives that I was trying to setup in raid where plugged into the separate SATA slots, the two that I think where meant for raid hard drives. And these hard drives were both blank and my operating system is on a separate single drive.

System specs(basic for now It will take more time to find specifics):
      EP45-UD3R Gigabyte Motherboard
      3.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (1066 FSB) OCD to 4.00 GHz
      640mb Nvidea 8800GTS pci pexress x16
      Creative x-fi extreme gamer sound card
      4x 1024 mb corsair ram @1066 MHz
      1 seagate 400gb SATA HDD (OS drive)
      2 segate 250gb SATA HDD (the ones I was attempting to use in raid)
      Asus DVD/CD RW drive
      Thermaltake 650w power supply
      d-link wireless network card

Comment

Any ideas?

Comment

I specifically didnt get the r or higher mbrd because I didnt want to be messing around with raid setups.
          Bu I assume u just want the board back the way it was for now.
          If you have tried all the standard recovery procedures and connected it up the way it was before,there is allways the "last resort" thing.sec ill go check the link.
          You have done the switch the power off at the psu for say a minute after 4 unsuccessfull post attempt cycles,and then try again?
          The beep codes I dont know about,manual says graphics or monitor error for 3 beeps.

Well here we go..this is a last resort thing tho.
          Last edited by kick; 03-19-2009, 02:16 PM.
          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
          http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
            I specifically didnt get the r or higher mbrd because I didnt want to be messing around with raid setups.
            Bu I assume u just want the board back the way it was for now.
            If you have tried all the standard recovery procedures and connected it up the way it was before,there is allways the "last resort" thing.sec ill go check the link.
            You have done the switch the power off at the psu for say a minute after 4 unsuccessfull post attempt cycles,and then try again?
            The beep codes I dont know about,manual says graphics or monitor error for 3 beeps.

Well here we go..this is a last resort thing tho.
            http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/reco...erboard-30918/
            I didn't have any luck with that and the 3 beeps for graphics or monitor error makes sense since I don't get any video signal at all even though it turns on an acts like it's running. It's not the graphics card since I tested it in another computer and it worked fine.

Oh and I don't care anymore about setting up SATA, I just want to get my computer running again! I can always do "manual" SATA anyways by distributing programs and files among all 3 hard drives.
            Last edited by lethe5683; 03-24-2009, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Have you tested any other ram in this machine yet? Your ram could have died for some strange reason, but I guess not all 4, did you try starting the machine with only one stick in slot one? I would try to borrow a stick or two and see if it matters anyway.

When you tested the card in a different system, did you use your PSU as well? If not, you should try that next to be sure your PSU is not to blame

Clear CMOS like you did should have for sure let it start if a setting was what is stopping it. Next thing to do before RMA would be get it out of the case and off the motherboard tray and see if it will start

I have never seen a simple disk setting change cause all this, so I dont know what to suggest other then a RMA if you do not get anywhere quickly
              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-24-2009, 04:58 AM.

Comment

For the ram I have tested it with only one stick at a time and have tested all 4 separately so I don't think that would be it.

My PSU I actually just gave to my sister since hers broke and it worked in her computer. I ordered a new one which is slightly higher capacity. Even with the new PSU there's no difference.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                Next thing to do before RMA would be get it out of the case and off the motherboard tray and see if it will start
                I will try that.

Comment

Let us know if you find the cause or any progress you have made with this

When you do have it out of the case, and off the tray, be sure you start with the minimum to rule out other bad hadware. That would be CPU/Heatsink, one stick of ram, and your GFX Card that is all NO Drives, ect.

Can you borrow her ram for a bit to see if it will work in your setup, just incase it is your ram? Or try your ram in her machine?

Comment

Let us know if you find the cause or any progress you have made with this
                    Sure thing.

When you do have it out of the case, and off the tray, be sure you start with the minimum to rule out other bad hadware. That would be CPU/Heatsink, one stick of ram, and your GFX Card that is all NO Drives, ect.
                    I also have my old processor/heatsink which is was thinking of trying if this doesn't work. It's the same type (core 2 duo) just a bit slower.

Can you borrow her ram for a bit to see if it will work in your setup, just incase it is your ram? Or try your ram in her machine?
                    Yep, I can try that too.

Comment

Just checking in here.

That sounds like you have enough hardware to do some proper testing to see if you can find the cause. Let us know how you get along

Comment

Something similar once happened to me, i wanted to add an extra harddrive, and in the process i toasted my mobo 8(
                        Static electricity, carelessness or something similar probably did it for me. It still bafles me today..
                        CPU 3570K
                        Cooler Noctua NH-C14
                        Motherboard Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
                        RAM Corsair 8GB 1866MHz
                        PSU Seasonic Platinum 760W
                        GFX Asus DCII TOP 680GTX
                        SSD Samsung 840 256GB
                        SSD Kingston SSDNow V+180 128GB
                        HDD Western Digital AV-GP 2TB

Comment

Working...
                        X