DPC Latency Spiking Special Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPC Latency Spiking Special Problem

<hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> I have a problem like this.
    I have 2 IDE DVD drives in mi computer connected with the ga-ep25c-ds3r.
    I have Windowns XP and Vista 32 bit on my PC.
    Sometimes when i start my PC there is DPC Latency Spiking and the CPU usage is 20%. The my mouse and the sound and the whole system is spiking.
    After a restart the problem disappears.

I think the reason for this is the jmicron IDE controller.
    Drvier update did't help.
    When the problem appearsare there two other solutions:
    1. deactivate both DVD drives in the device manager -> problem disappears
    BUT: if i want to activate them again they disappear and i have to restart the system
    2. deactivate one DVD drive in the device manager and activate it again -> problem disappears
    BUT: both drives disappear and I have to restart my system again the the drives are there as normal

I use the standart Intel IDE driver. I used the gsata/jmicron driver but this didn't help.
    I asked this in a few forums but nobody could help me. But I think in this forum are a lot of intelligent users and I hope you can solve this.

Bios version F3
    What can I do to solve this?

regards pizzaMAN

Re: DPC Latency Spiking Special Problem

When you updated to the F3 BIOS, you did load and apply optimized defaults then save and reboot correct?

If you did so, then you have correctly flashed the BIOS, if not you need to load optimized now and save and apply and reboot back to the BIOS and set all your settings again including SATA/Disk settings.

The F3 BIOS has the DPC fix in it (All BIOS after April 08), so if you have flashed correctly then as you have tested it seems your hardware (The IDE DVD Drives) is likely the cause.

DPC issues can be caused by drivers, or hardware, or even programs. Seems like you have narrowed your issue down to a IDE Driver or your IDE Drives themselves.

So you may need to get new DVD drive/drives, and if you do I would go ahead and get SATA ones since they are priced about the same these days.

You could try disabling Legacy USB Storage Detect in the BIOS to see if that helps you any, and you can also uninstall DES Software as well if you have that installed. If you do have the DES Software installed this could be the main cause of the DPC Spike, if you do have it installed and uninstalling it corrects things for you, please try the latest Version from here and see if it is any better >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Utility

Here you can find my post that includes all the various things that can cause DPC latency, but it seems to me you have found the cause in your case. >>>

Comment

thx for your answer.
      yes i did load and apply optimized defaults and rebooted after that.
      Do i have to load and apply optimized defaults after I change my hardware?
      I didn't change something on my sata/disk settings in the BIOS.
      It seems very unlikely to me, that both DVD drives are damaged.
      I have no DES or something else installed.
      I try to use the latest jmicron driver from ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/ now.

regards pizzaMAN

Comment

Yes, you should load and apply optimized after hardware changes, but only memory or CPU, ect. DVD Drives or hard drives no, you dont need to for that

I did not mean your DVD drives are damaged, but only that they may be the cause of your DPC latency issues. Did you go read the link I posted for various things that can cause this issue? I was just pointing out that those may be the cause for two reasons, they are old IDE drives and two you said it is gone when you disable them

Sorry about the DES, maybe you did not understand me saying it like that. What I meant for DES is the Gigabyte Dynamic Energy Saver program

Comment

Yes i read your great post but i don't stream data in real-time
          or have other problems like there.
          I buyed the DVD drives about 2 years ago. Maybe they are to old.

regards pizzaMAN

Comment

Well that is only one example of how DPC latency affects users. The issue you have with this is another example.

And really, you do not have any issues with DPC then other then the fact that you are looking at your taskmanager and the DPC program. Since you do not stream Real Time Live Data or Make Music for a living this DPC issue will not and does not really have any effect on you. Other then the fact that you noticed it in these programs which you shouldn't even worry about since you do not use your PC like that

Yes, it sounds to me like your DVD drives are the issue here. Since you are not really affected by the latency then buying new ones is really up to you.

You only need one SATA DVD Burner drive anyway, just grab a new $30-35 one and call it a day

Comment

Working...
            X