Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to give up on overclocking Q6600 - optimized defaults should work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to give up on overclocking Q6600 - optimized defaults should work?

So if I do not overclock anything with my CPU should optimized BIOS defaults work just fine with no tweaks for 4 x 1 GB RAM? That way I do not need to mess with MCH Core, MCH Reference, CPU Term, etc.?
    Last edited by Deerhunter716; 03-10-2009, 12:39 PM.
    Q6600 - Gigabyte EP45-DS3L - 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 800 - ATI 4870 1 GB - Thermaltake 1000W - Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Heatsink

Re: About to give up on overclocking Q6600 - optimized defaults should work?

Not necessarily, 4 DIMMs do not always work easily. For exapmple I tried 4x2GB a few days ago and it wouldn't pass Prime 95 unless I put a Corsair Airflow fan on the RAM, and this was on an open test bench with 21C room temperature, inside a case it would have been worse. With the fan it was stable for more than 24 hours (aborted then without errors) while without the fan I got errors in one hour.

Heat may be an issue or you may need to increase some mainboard voltages.

Comment

Any suggestions on what may need to be tweaked besides RAM voltages? I will be using Q6600, 4 x 1 GB RAM, ATI 4870 1GB video card --> temps never an issue with my Coolermaster case and 8 fans blowing (when was overclocked previously to 3.0 GHz on another brand mobo temps were only 45 under Orthos stress).

I just want the most trouble-free settings for stock Q6600 if that exists, hehe
      Q6600 - Gigabyte EP45-DS3L - 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 800 - ATI 4870 1 GB - Thermaltake 1000W - Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Heatsink

Comment

Temps are not an issue for my CPU either on my open test bench, but is for the RAM they are because RAM usually doesn't ahve a fan directly blowing at it. If no fan blows directly on the RAM so that the air between the sticks gets moved then they can overheat. So unless you ahve a fan in your side panel directly blowing at the RAM then heat may be an issue like it was for me.
        You may need to increase MCH Core, but that's the only voltage other than RAM voltage that's usually necessary. Someone did actually have his rig run better when he decreased MCH Core by 0.05V below stock.
        Every piece of hardware is unique and 4 DIMMs can be as demanding for your board as overclocking itself, so stock settings don't always do the job and there are no settings that work for everyone.

Also please list your hardware in your signature, it helps to know what exactly you're running.

Comment

Fixed my sig :) I have 2 side case fans blowing on the RAM and one from the front

Comment

Well then temps are not an issue I guess. Have youa ctually ahd problems with 4x1GB at stock speed or haven't you tried that yet?

Comment

At optmized defaults and the CPU not overclocked I did get a BSOD at Windows green bars. Of course I had not touched the MCH Core at all. All 4 sticks test out just fine.

Comment

MCH core bumped up and still got BSOD. Is there such a thing as RAM vdroop also? I did notice my RAM is rated for 2.2v and I have seen many posts where folks could not run 4-4--4-12 with any less than that. I had set it at 2.1 and noticed in Everest it was actually 2.06.

Now that I have set RAM voltage to 2.24 it is reading 2.2v in Everest and BSOD is gone so far.

Comment

Just try 5-5-5-18 for the timings, the difference between 4-4-4-12 and that is not noticeable, see my sig for some benchmarks.
                  If DDR2 800 at 5-5-5-18 with the CPU at stock doesn't work then you the overclocked CPU never was your problem.
                  If I were you I would just get a cheap 2x2GB kit sell the 4x1GB and overclock that CPU.

Comment

Please link me to your ram or give me the model # and I can give you some suggested settings.

I find 4x1 overclocks and handles timings much better then 2x2, but then again I am speaking Memory overclocks here

MCH Voltage is likely a must, but MCH ref may or may not be. You may also have some incorrect advanced timings if you are using AUTO.

So please post me a screenshot of This app running as well so I can see what AUTO is giving you for some of your memory timings >>>
                    Tweakers.fr ~ Memset

Also let me know what you are using now, so I can see how you have your CPU setup >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
                    [b][u]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/u][/b]
                    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
                    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 
                    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                    CPU Frequency ...........................: 

[b][u]Clock Chip Control [/u][/b]
                    [b][u]Standard Clock Control[/u][/b]
                    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
                    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
                    [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100[/B]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

[b][u]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/u][/b]
                    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
                    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

[b][u]DRAM Performance Control[/u][/b][u][/u]
                    [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD][/B]
                    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 
                    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 
                    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

[b]Standard Timing Control[/b]
                    CAS Latency Time........................
                    tRCD .........................................
                    tRP'...........................................
                    tRAS..........................................

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first.  Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

[b][u]Advanced Timing Control[/u][/b]
                    tRRD...........................................
                    tWTR..........................................
                    tWR............................................
                    tRFC...........................................
                    tRTP...........................................
                    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

[u][b]Driving Strength Profiles[/b][/u][b][/b]
                    Driving Strength ............................

[b]Channel A[/b]
                    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
                    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
                    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b]Channel B[/b]
                    Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                     tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                     tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                     tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
                    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
                    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/b][U][/U]
                    Voltage Type.………... Manual
                    [b]CPU[/b]
                    CPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto if not overclocking, if you are overclocking please do find and set your own voltages

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

[b]MCH/ICH[/b]
                    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 
                    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< Leave
                    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

[b]DRAM[/b]
                    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 
                    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

[b][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/b][U][/U]
                    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[b][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/b][U][/U]
                    Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB
                    @ Nickel020

Please if you read this again, and have not already, please take a few to reply to my post in the thread you mention to this user to check out 444-12 vs 555-15 >>
                    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-12-2009, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
                      Just try 5-5-5-18 for the timings, the difference between 4-4-4-12 and that is not noticeable, see my sig for some benchmarks.
                      If DDR2 800 at 5-5-5-18 with the CPU at stock doesn't work then you the overclocked CPU never was your problem.
                      If I were you I would just get a cheap 2x2GB kit sell the 4x1GB and overclock that CPU.
                      Changed to 5-5-5-18 with everything else at stock including CPU. Bumped MCH to 1.28 and RAM voltage to 2.2v as recommended for my RAM and indeed still got BSOD at the Windows green bars when it loads. This is after I did a complete fresh install of Vista 64 just to make sure that was not the culprit. My 2x2GB kit should be here Friday or Saturday and will give that a whirl.

It is only cold boot where this happens. With windows running I can absolutely restart any time without issue and windows will load fine -- only get BSOD at cold boot.

Comment

Did you try less MCH like 1.24 and 1.05? With 1.24-1.28 Vtt

Just checking in since I seem to have missed offering you some help before you ordered more memory, hope your new kit works out better for you

Comment

Yeah the CPU termination has been at 1.26, 1.28 and now at 1.3

I will try less MCH tonight when I shut down and do yo umean MCH reference of 1.05?

*** I am also doing a RMA for the 4 x 1GB Crucial sticks so when those arrive the new 2.0v ones I will try those with your settings if I have issues with the 2 x 2GB ones. Either way I plan on getting one of the setups to work and will sell the others on Ebay, lol
                          Last edited by Deerhunter716; 03-13-2009, 08:06 AM.

Comment

No, I mean MCH Core of 1.05 if 1.2-1.3+ is not working for you, sometimes less then stock MCH Core helps

So they RMA'd for you easy then? Was this just a RMA for 2.2v Sticks to be replaced with 2.0V sticks? What did you tell them, just so I know what to advise others later if asked

I did a review on the new Crucial 2.0V kits (4x1 and 2x2) not to long ago, see my signature for link, I posted general settings for 800, 900, and 1000 for each kit in the Review

Comment

Working...
                            X