Can't install XP via eSATA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't install XP via eSATA ?

Man this just keeps better and better with this board (GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R) tried to install XP using the eSATA and no go. After XP copies the files to the drive and reboots...Keeps booting back to the install CD, made change to boot to hard drive and freezes at VERIFYING DATA. My CDrom is samsung sata drive. I;m really trying to use this board but
    things isn't going my way at all.

Re: Can't install XP via eSATA ?

I don't know what causes this, but I would just install Windows with the HDD hooked up to a normal SATA port and see if it boots when you then put the HDD back in the eSATA case.

Comment

Windows XP doesn`t contain sata drivers so if you`re trying to intall it onto a sata drive it won`t do it, you need to use either a floppy containing the drivers for your mother board or create a slipstreamed disc with the drivers and XP on it.

It`s not hard to do and doesn`t take long either, have a look here for a guide.
      NZXT Hush case
      EP45-DS3P Motherboard
      G.Skill F2-8500 CL5-2GbPK RAM
      Q6600 GO CPU @ 3Ghz
      OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF
      Samsung spinpoint F1 HDD
      Samsung sata DVD drive
      Gigabyte HD4850 1Gb graphics card
      Coolermaster igreen 600w PSU

Comment

Originally posted by MrGav View Post
        Windows XP doesn`t contain sata drivers so if you`re trying to intall it onto a sata drive it won`t do it, you need to use either a floppy containing the drivers for your mother board or create a slipstreamed disc with the drivers and XP on it.

It`s not hard to do and doesn`t take long either, have a look here for a guide.
        XP with SP3 see's the drive just fine.

Comment

As said above XP needs a SATA Driver, so you will need a floppy or to slipstream the install CD with SATA Drivers.

And just so you know, I do not advise running a installed OS externally. Sure you can, but it will be very slow

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            As said above XP needs a SATA Driver, so you will need a floppy or to slipstream the install CD with SATA Drivers.

And just so you know, I do not advise running a installed OS externally. Sure you can, but it will be very slow
            I do have sata drivers installed in XP CD, why would eSATA be slower than regular SATA? SHouldn't be

Comment

Well most have a external controller inside the case, which can slow things down compared to just having a disk connected, and I think I was thinking USB Anyway since reading external and forgot this was eSATA When I commented.

So, you say your disk has the drivers on it? Did you do this yourself, are you sure they are the correct ones? Did you burn it at the slowest speed, you must do that?

Have you or can you test this install disk on another PC or in a virtual machine to be sure the disk will install and is not faulty?

What port do you have this drive connected to, Color and #? And what settings do you have set in the BIOS for these settings >>>

Integrated Peripherals

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. AHCI
              SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
              Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

Comment

I have since retired the GA-EP45-UD3R, too many problems..at least for me.

Comment

Ahh well that was given up to easily! You could have just installed it normally, then left it or moved it to the external

Did you switch teams or what?

Comment

I cant comment on XP But Vista worked fine eSATA for me on my board. Cant imagine there would be toooo much difference in the settings.

Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
                    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
                    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
                    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
                    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
                    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
                    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
                    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
                    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
                    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
                    ------------------------------------------------
                    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
                    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
                    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
                    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
                    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
                    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
                    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
                    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
                    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
                    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
                    ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                    X