Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MA770-DS3P problem adding PCI card

Oops!! The subject should be "MA770-DS3P problem adding PCI card"

I've recently successfully built a new AMD Phenom system to replace an ancient P4 system. The initial build was fine and WinXP Pro installled without issue. Now I want to re-install some PCI cards that were in teh old system but with any of the cards installed (I've tried four different ones) the system will not boot. I still get the successful POST beep OK but never get the "memory" message that usually appears just before the DMI message. Remove the card and the system boots normally again.

The system specs are:
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model GA-MA770-DS3P Rev 2.0
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor AMD Phenom 9750 X4
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F2, 16/10/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Total Physical Memory 8,192.00 MB
    Video MSI RX2600PRO T2D512E
    Power Supply Tagan TG600-U33 600W

The cards I've tried are mostly DVBt tuner cards but I have also tried a USB/1394 card.

I have done no tweaking of clocks or voltages.

Any suggestions? Will a later BIOS make any difference?

(Yes, I know WinXP won't use all that memory. I will be upgarding to a 64 bit OS eventually)
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-11-2009, 03:43 AM.

Re: MA770-DS3P problem adding PCI card

Title Edited

Yes a newer BIOS could help, what BIOS are you using and did you load and apply optimized defaults after you setup the system?

I see F4 is available for your system >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA770-DS3P (rev. 2.0)

If you do decide to flash, please read this first >>

I don't have much AMD Knowledge so I am not sure of the exact terms, but you may need to add some NB or Memory controller voltage for 8GB of ram, and maybe some PCI/PCIE/SB voltage as well, that could help maybe with PCI issues.

Since you are right now using 32bit system, you could add some stability by only haveing 4GB installed, as 8Gb installed is really adding stress to your setup that you dont need/can't use now anyway as you know. Just thinking out loud there I suppose, but seems logical I guess

You do have Init First Display set to PEG right, in Advanced BIOS page? If not, you should, set that and save/apply and reboot then shut the system down and try your PCI Cards again. And please do try each one, in each different slot incase maybe you have a bad slot?

Comment

Working...
    X