Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-MA74GM-S2 20 pin connector acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA74GM-S2 20 pin connector acceptable?

Hey I just purchase a GA-MA74GM-S2 to upgrade my parents computers(2) from old socket 462 AMD's. I'm debating on getting another or a different 740G for the other one.

Anyway these are lower power very basic use, Internet browsing.

2x 740G mobo's
    2x x4850e cpu's
    2x 2GB corsair 800mhz 1 stick each
    existing HDD and cd drive

I was planning on reusing the PSU's that I have, they both have 20pin connectors instead of 24pin. Last I knew this was acceptable. Both PSU's have the 4pin connectors.

1 is a 350w Antec SL350 which I bought in early '04 or late '03

The other is the factory eMachines that my mom purchased in '03. Its a 250w Bestec ATX-250-12E.

Am I stupid for trying to use these PSU's, well the Bestec anyway?

I have an Extra Thermaltake purepower 460w that I used on my old socket 939 dual core till I got an Antec TP3 550w over a year ago.

Or I see a great deal on a Corsair 400w. Just seems silly to have 400-460w on a computer that will barely pull 100w full load.

I'm really not trying to spend money other than the cpu's/mobo's/ram.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 03-09-2009, 03:12 PM.
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Re: GA-MA74GM-S2 20 pin connector acceptable?

Some boards will function like that, some will not. I have never heard or seen it cause any harm though. I have seen it be unstable, and I have seen it not work.

So you will just have to try it I suppose, or buy some cheap 20-24 pin adapters, you can get them on eBay or at many online shops for $5-10. If you need help in finding one let me know and I can look you some up.

I advise using one for sure just for safety reasons. Is that 400W you mention just the cheapest 24 pin PSU you could find? If you need me to look I can, I assumed you could get 300-350 or so with 24 pin, and that should be pretty cheap. But maybe not?

I dont know much about AMD Setups, so you will have to advise yourself about that bestec and if it would be even wise. I think the antec would be ok likely, but I would use a adapter

Here is some info for you on adapters, and using 20Pin in a 24Pin, sounds like neither is very good at all to do? >>>
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-11-2009, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Got the parts today and hooked up(using the crap Bestec 250w PSU). All went well and installed XP.

Then at some point, I believe after I installed the chipset drivers? The IDE CD drive doesnt work. Meaning it is visible in XP and shows properly in device manager, but it wont read a CD. I was trying to get the ET5 and other utilities to install, but I click on the CD drive and it opens like a blank disk. I put the CD in my other computer and it reads fine.

Not sure whats up with that? I had to go to work so tomorrow I will uninstall and reinstall the chipset driver. Oh BTW I ended up using an older 80GB hitachi sata HDD.

Speaking of drivers I found that the US site has a different driver listed than the global site(or maybe just certain languages).

Also they dont have the ET5/ect.. on the Gigabyte website for download which is strange.

Also BTW I forgot how much Cool N Quiet sucks, it barely worked so i went back to my old friend RMclock which works awesome!
      Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 03-11-2009, 10:29 PM.
      New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

Comment

Did you do a "Express Install" off the CD for the board? If so, that may be why, you likely installed some J.Micron drivers or other sata/ide drivers you did not need. Express Install = Not recommended

If you did not do that, and manually installed drivers. Are you sure you install the correct ones? Sorry I know very little AMD so I cannot advise you of where to get the chipset and other drivers all separately but I do advise you get them from the Gigabyte site and not use the CD

Ya some sites have different versions or languages so watch what you get. All the latest Gigabyte Utilities are here >>>
        GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Utility

Comment

No I didnt install anything from the CD(at 1st). I had all the drivers downloaded.

Then the CD would not read so I copied the CD onto a USB drive on my other computer. Then uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from the USB copy of the CD to install the old drivers. Still the same.

I also flashed the bios to F3 which I believe this the newest for this board?

Same issue

I havent had lots of time to mess with it but this weekend I plan to figure it out.
          Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 03-14-2009, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Copied from CD, the old drivers???

Ya, let us know how you get along when you have time to play with it

Comment

Working...
            X