• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lsdmeasap
    replied
    Re: EX58-Extreme, i7 and cooling

Where is the pics? I looked and looked but found nothing

Did you get you some U-Channel to put around the hole you cut? If not, you should, helps clean things up and makes it look like you did a grand job.

Here is some if you are not sure what I mean >>
    Moddersmart - I Mod Smart Do You? - 888-333-4942 - Air Cooling :: Cooling Fans :: Fan Accessories :: Grommets & Molding :: C-Strip Fan/Edge Molding

UChannel

Petra's Tech Shop

You can make a new post if you want, or keep posting here. Don't matter to me

Leave a comment:

• asmallrabbit
    replied

Well, I finished adding a couple of fans. I went out and got another 120mm to add to my TRUE so its running a push/pull now and I cut out a hole in my case to add another 120mm as an intake right now blowing air over my gfx and motherboard below my cpu cooler.

For my first case mod, I could have done a better job, but its not horrible looking so I'm pleased with it :P I'll have to play with the side fan and see if I get better results using it as an intake or exhaust but now that my temps are better im going to look more at getting a stable overclock.

I think I'll post a new thread for that so people dont have to read through the first few pages of this where I didn't really try much. If I should just post in an existing thread or continue this one let me know. Won't be able to try much overclocking this weekend so I might just read up for now.

Thanks for the advice and help thus far from everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Lsdmeasap
    replied

If you did, right over the GFX, I would do intake. But of course, keep in mind you can switch it easily around and test both ways.

I have not seen many X58 guides yet, not good ones anyway. Google will give a few simple ones but again not very in depth or anything. Have you seen the one posted here in the First post of the Beta BIOS thread? If not check it out, and here is a few others will some pointers/tips >>

Intel Core i7 920 Overclocking Introduction Guide on X58

Nice thread here with plenty of info as well >>
    Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread - XtremeSystems Forums

Leave a comment:

• asmallrabbit
    replied

If I was to add just one fan on the side then would it work better as an exhaust or intake? Especially right over the gfx card/NB?

Also, is there a step by step I can follow when overclocking where if my system is not stable I will know what to change until it us? Do I just keep stepping up voltages little by little or...?

Leave a comment:

• Lsdmeasap
    replied

I think they would be fine close, if they are around the same speed. Even if the rear is a bit faster that would be ok as it would just pull the other a little faster. Try it out and compare the temps. May not help much, but normally it will

Sorry about that MCH Comment, I assume everyone knows what it what and I shouldn't do that as much as I do. It is the NB (North Bridge) and in X58 this is called IOH Core

Ahh ya, I didn't think about how tall that TRUE would be in your case. I think one would be fine. I said it would be a bad idea because I thought you had mentioned two on the side, that would often disrupt air flow

The more hot air leaving the case and the more cool air coming in the better, no?
    Yes, kinda. But you do not want to much more coming in then going out or you will have pressure issues in there and cause dead air spots

Leave a comment:

• asmallrabbit
    replied

@c3d76

Tried your bios settings and it still wasnt stable, not sure if I missed something or not. What is the proper way to go in "steps" when overclocking? Its easy enough to get the cpu to around 4 but then I dont know what to adjust and by how much to try and get it stable, or tell if if just wont work.

@lsdmeasap

I checked last night, and there would be room for another fan on my TRUE to pull air so I have a push/pull setup, but it would be pointing directly at my rear exhaust fan with only a few cm's inbetween. Should I still try to do this or would the two fans so close together conflict with each other?

I don't recgonize MCH, what does that stand for? When I installed the birdige cooling I just put a little bit of paste on the back of it then slid it into place and put the screws in like the manual said.

I'm unable to add a fan over the top of my cpu and gfx card because I don't have enough clearence between the side of my case and my TRUE. Thats why I was thinking of an exhaust slightly under it and centered more or less on the graphics card. Why would the side fans maybe be a bad idea or disrupt airflow? The more hot air leaving the case and the more cool air coming in the better, no?

Leave a comment:

• Lsdmeasap
    replied

@ notios7

Those are Thermal Pastes

MX-2
    Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

TX-2 (I use this kind)
    Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

@ asmallrabbit

Here is some templates for ya (PDF one is best) >>>
    Fan Hole Templates.zip

Ya if you dont have room between the rear exhaust fan to add another fan on your heatsink to pull air then you may not be able to. Have you measured or held a fan there to guesstimate if you can put on like that or not yet? If not, I would check it out

I would not use it in a up/down fashion, just front to back like you have it

The "System" is close to the NB, just in the PCB so overall temp really but affected by the NB

I don't think you could mess up the Bridge cooling, did you read the manual when you installed it? It sticks out the back of the case right? You could add a fan onto that if you wanted, or redo the paste under the NB. What is your MCH Temps anyway, now and before you added the extra cooling bridge thing?

I would only add a fan on your side maybe directly in the middle of the top GFX Card and the CPU so they both get a little bit of cool air. Exhaust on the side may disrupt airflow. You could also add a 120MM up top in the middle as exhaust to remove any warm dead air that may linger there, between your DVD and PSU I mean
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-14-2009, 01:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• asmallrabbit
    replied

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    @asmallrabbit

It all depends on your skills and tools how hard it is to cut a fan hole, but it is pretty easy I think. If you have a dremel and want to cut then it should be pretty easy for ya.

Have you tried your fan on your CPU Heatsink pulling air instead of pushing? Might want to see if that is any better, or add another fan so one pushes and one pulls.
    I'm familiar with tools just not sure what the best way to do it would be. I was thinking of either marking a pattern and drilling out a grill for the fan to push/pull air through the side of the case, or just outright cutting a hole and then getting some wire mesh/filter to put over it. I'm basing where I would put the holes on how hot my case feels after ive been using it for awhile. An intake fan in front of the cpu cooler where the side is usually cool or only slightly warm, and an exhaust where the side gets quite warm.

I only tried changing the orientation of my cooler from left/right to up/down. The way my case is and how the cooler sits, its pretty much right inline with my rear exahust fan. so ive got my cooler fan pushing air over the fins which is then sucked out the back of the case. I don't know that adding another fan on the back of my cooler would work as it would be too close to that rear exhaust fan. I tried it up/down for a bit but then its either pulling air from near my video card which wont be as cool or blowing hot air at it which I dont want either.

Cpu temps haven't seemed too high lately, but I want to get my system temps down as it seems to get quite warm. Where is the system temperature measured from? Could I have done something wrong installing the bridge cooling? Name escapes me at the moment, but the piece that came with the extreme mobo that fits like an expansion card and screws into the north bridge iirc.
    Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    | <         |                  |         DVD          |
    | <   PSU   |                  |                      |
    | <         |                  |                      |
    |---~~~~~---                   |                      |
    |   ^^^^                       |                      |
    S< < <^^^    ////              |                      |
    S< < <       llllS < < < TRUE  |                      |
    S< < <       llllS < < <        ----------------------|
    |120mm       ////                      |              |
    | exhaust                              |              |
    |                                      |              |
    |                                               < < < S
    | --GTX 285 -----                               < < < S120mm intake
    | ---------------                               < < < S
    |                                      |      HD      |
    ------------------------------------------------------
    A rough idea of my case..... Im thinking of adding an intake fan on the side just in front of where my TRUE is to suck cold air in and an exhaust fan on the side near my gtx 285 as an exhaust to get rid of some more heat. The area behind my cooler is very crowded and is usually very warm from the psu + air coming off my cooler. Would a vent there be a good idea as well or compete with the exhaust + cpu fans trying to suck the hot air out?
    Last edited by asmallrabbit; 03-11-2009, 01:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• notios7
    replied

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    @asmallrabbit

It all depends on your skills and tools how hard it is to cut a fan hole, but it is pretty easy I think. If you have a dremel and want to cut then it should be pretty easy for ya.

Have you tried your fan on your CPU Heatsink pulling air instead of pushing? Might want to see if that is any better, or add another fan so one pushes and one pulls.

@ notios7

Try some TX-2 or MX-2, you will like it!
    TX-2 or MX-2 ? sorry i dont understand.help me please!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Lsdmeasap
    replied

@asmallrabbit

@ notios7

Try some TX-2 or MX-2, you will like it!

Leave a comment:

• notios7
    replied

Originally posted by C3D76 View Post
    Hey Rabbit,

I'm thinking you might be having problems because of the High voltage settings in the guide. I think I would BSOD too if I put them that high.....

-Here is a screenshot with the voltages I use for 4Ghz:
    3.99GHz @ 1.296 (F4m)- ICH=1.16v

The only other (important) changes I make after "load Optimized Defaults" are
    C1e= off
    C2,c2,c3...= off
    Ram= 2:8 + spec'd timings + voltage
    Uncore freq= x17
    QPI link = x36
    BCLK = 190

If you are not stable, Try increasing:
    Cpu Vcore-> max 1.55v
    QPI VTT-> max 1.35v
    QPI PLL-> max 1.35v
    CPU PLL-> 1.84v
    IOH-> 1.35v
    ICH I/O -> 1.6v
    ICH-> 1.25
    Max Voltages from intel: http://img2.abload.de/img/datasheetmtu2.jpg

-Check the following screenshot @ 4.2, I hardly had to change any of the voltages from 4.0 apart from CPU Vcore, which required a huge bump from 4.0 to 4.2Ghz.
    QPI Vtt voltage is lower because my Patriot 1600 C9 kit required less voltage at the time (looser timings?)...

4.2GHz @ 1.44v (F4m)

- For my 24/7 I use the following BIOS settings (sig) @ 4.1, in BIOS F3:

C1e= off
    C2,c2,c3...= off
    Ram= 2:8 (7-7-7-24-2t, 1.64v)
    Uncore freq= x18
    QPI link = x36
    BCLK = 195
    Cpu Vcore-> 1.3625
    QPI VTT-> 1.32v
    QPI PLL-> 1.20v
    CPU PLL-> 1.80v
    IOH-> 1.20v
    ICH I/O -> 1.60v
    ICH-> 1.20

It might just be your CPU hitting a wall, or a weak mem controller. Can you OC the CPU higher if you use the 2:6 ratio for the RAM?

Hope this helps,

Ced
    i follow your setings and system iw unstable .when runing realtemp+prime95 crash.bsod.temps over 86.cooler is asus triton88+artic ceramique.maybe have problem with paste? try beter artic silver5?

Leave a comment:

• xdozex
    replied

I personally am running the i7 920, on the UD4P board, and with the thermalright ultra 120 with fan I'm not getting higher than 26 degrees Celsius. Of course, I have yet to OC anything, and running "Optimized Defaults", but I seem to be getting great success with that heatsink/fan. I was weary because the fan does not seem to push much air, but its a pretty stable temp at idle.

I'm having some other kinks with the audio and LAN drivers, once I get them sorted, I'll start OC'ing for my first time, and get back to you with my temperature results.

Leave a comment:

• asmallrabbit
    replied

Yeah, I was pretty much following the guide step by step as I've never overclocked before, and this is my first build so I don't know if I've installed somethng wrong or not. I've remounted my cooler again following directions on arctic's site for paste, ive got the cooler orientated left-right with the fan pushing air over the fins, which is then exhausted out the rear case fan. I've got my front case fan sucking cool air in, and I'm thinking of adding two more fans to my side panel if I cut some holes, one in the towards the front upper as an intake that would be pulling in cool air for my cpu cooler fan to push over the heatsink and then another fan in the back bottom to exhaust hot air that might not be going out the mid mounted rear fan or coming from my gpu. How hard is cutting aluminum to install a case fan? :P I would add one to the top of my case, but I would have to take everything out for that... side panel seems easier. (Using nzxt hush case)

I'm not very familiar with the BIOS or temperatures so I'm not sure what I should be aiming for as far as "safe" operating temperatures. Tomshardware mentions they see a lot of high temperatures from the i7 but that it doesnt seem to cause any problems so I think I will continue to play around with OC'ing.

I'll try C3D76's setting when I get home tonight, and/or try to post my settings or get a template to work with. Thanks for the help and responses thus far though. :)

Leave a comment:

• Lsdmeasap
    replied

Ya, that guide is for users to get a general Idea of how it works. I would not use those voltage either, of course some CPU's might need it but not all for sure.

Do keep in mind you guys could trade profiles if you are using the same BIOS versions.

Leave a comment:

• C3D76
    replied

Hey Rabbit,

I'm thinking you might be having problems because of the High voltage settings in the guide. I think I would BSOD too if I put them that high.....

-Here is a screenshot with the voltages I use for 4Ghz:
    3.99GHz @ 1.296 (F4m)- ICH=1.16v

The only other (important) changes I make after "load Optimized Defaults" are
    C1e= off
    C2,c2,c3...= off
    Ram= 2:8 + spec'd timings + voltage
    Uncore freq= x17
    QPI link = x36
    BCLK = 190

If you are not stable, Try increasing:
    Cpu Vcore-> max 1.55v
    QPI VTT-> max 1.35v
    QPI PLL-> max 1.35v
    CPU PLL-> 1.84v
    IOH-> 1.35v
    ICH I/O -> 1.6v
    ICH-> 1.25
    Max Voltages from intel: http://img2.abload.de/img/datasheetmtu2.jpg

-Check the following screenshot @ 4.2, I hardly had to change any of the voltages from 4.0 apart from CPU Vcore, which required a huge bump from 4.0 to 4.2Ghz.
    QPI Vtt voltage is lower because my Patriot 1600 C9 kit required less voltage at the time (looser timings?)...

4.2GHz @ 1.44v (F4m)

- For my 24/7 I use the following BIOS settings (sig) @ 4.1, in BIOS F3:

C1e= off
    C2,c2,c3...= off
    Ram= 2:8 (7-7-7-24-2t, 1.64v)
    Uncore freq= x18
    QPI link = x36
    BCLK = 195
    Cpu Vcore-> 1.3625
    QPI VTT-> 1.32v
    QPI PLL-> 1.20v
    CPU PLL-> 1.80v
    IOH-> 1.20v
    ICH I/O -> 1.60v
    ICH-> 1.20

It might just be your CPU hitting a wall, or a weak mem controller. Can you OC the CPU higher if you use the 2:6 ratio for the RAM?

Hope this helps,

Ced

Leave a comment:

Working...
X