• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EX58-Extreme, i7 and cooling

@ notios7

Those are Thermal Pastes

MX-2
    Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

TX-2 (I use this kind)
    Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

@ asmallrabbit

Here is some templates for ya (PDF one is best) >>>
    Fan Hole Templates.zip

Ya if you dont have room between the rear exhaust fan to add another fan on your heatsink to pull air then you may not be able to. Have you measured or held a fan there to guesstimate if you can put on like that or not yet? If not, I would check it out

I would not use it in a up/down fashion, just front to back like you have it

The "System" is close to the NB, just in the PCB so overall temp really but affected by the NB

I don't think you could mess up the Bridge cooling, did you read the manual when you installed it? It sticks out the back of the case right? You could add a fan onto that if you wanted, or redo the paste under the NB. What is your MCH Temps anyway, now and before you added the extra cooling bridge thing?

I would only add a fan on your side maybe directly in the middle of the top GFX Card and the CPU so they both get a little bit of cool air. Exhaust on the side may disrupt airflow. You could also add a 120MM up top in the middle as exhaust to remove any warm dead air that may linger there, between your DVD and PSU I mean
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-14-2009, 01:31 AM.

Comment

@c3d76

Tried your bios settings and it still wasnt stable, not sure if I missed something or not. What is the proper way to go in "steps" when overclocking? Its easy enough to get the cpu to around 4 but then I dont know what to adjust and by how much to try and get it stable, or tell if if just wont work.

@lsdmeasap

I checked last night, and there would be room for another fan on my TRUE to pull air so I have a push/pull setup, but it would be pointing directly at my rear exhaust fan with only a few cm's inbetween. Should I still try to do this or would the two fans so close together conflict with each other?

I don't recgonize MCH, what does that stand for? When I installed the birdige cooling I just put a little bit of paste on the back of it then slid it into place and put the screws in like the manual said.

I'm unable to add a fan over the top of my cpu and gfx card because I don't have enough clearence between the side of my case and my TRUE. Thats why I was thinking of an exhaust slightly under it and centered more or less on the graphics card. Why would the side fans maybe be a bad idea or disrupt airflow? The more hot air leaving the case and the more cool air coming in the better, no?

Comment

I think they would be fine close, if they are around the same speed. Even if the rear is a bit faster that would be ok as it would just pull the other a little faster. Try it out and compare the temps. May not help much, but normally it will

Sorry about that MCH Comment, I assume everyone knows what it what and I shouldn't do that as much as I do. It is the NB (North Bridge) and in X58 this is called IOH Core

Ahh ya, I didn't think about how tall that TRUE would be in your case. I think one would be fine. I said it would be a bad idea because I thought you had mentioned two on the side, that would often disrupt air flow

The more hot air leaving the case and the more cool air coming in the better, no?
        Yes, kinda. But you do not want to much more coming in then going out or you will have pressure issues in there and cause dead air spots

Comment

If I was to add just one fan on the side then would it work better as an exhaust or intake? Especially right over the gfx card/NB?

Also, is there a step by step I can follow when overclocking where if my system is not stable I will know what to change until it us? Do I just keep stepping up voltages little by little or...?

Comment

If you did, right over the GFX, I would do intake. But of course, keep in mind you can switch it easily around and test both ways.

I have not seen many X58 guides yet, not good ones anyway. Google will give a few simple ones but again not very in depth or anything. Have you seen the one posted here in the First post of the Beta BIOS thread? If not check it out, and here is a few others will some pointers/tips >>

Intel Core i7 920 Overclocking Introduction Guide on X58

Nice thread here with plenty of info as well >>
            Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread - XtremeSystems Forums

Comment

Well, I finished adding a couple of fans. I went out and got another 120mm to add to my TRUE so its running a push/pull now and I cut out a hole in my case to add another 120mm as an intake right now blowing air over my gfx and motherboard below my cpu cooler.

For my first case mod, I could have done a better job, but its not horrible looking so I'm pleased with it :P I'll have to play with the side fan and see if I get better results using it as an intake or exhaust but now that my temps are better im going to look more at getting a stable overclock.

I think I'll post a new thread for that so people dont have to read through the first few pages of this where I didn't really try much. If I should just post in an existing thread or continue this one let me know. Won't be able to try much overclocking this weekend so I might just read up for now.

Thanks for the advice and help thus far from everyone.

Comment

Where is the pics? I looked and looked but found nothing

Did you get you some U-Channel to put around the hole you cut? If not, you should, helps clean things up and makes it look like you did a grand job.

Here is some if you are not sure what I mean >>
                Moddersmart - I Mod Smart Do You? - 888-333-4942 - Air Cooling :: Cooling Fans :: Fan Accessories :: Grommets & Molding :: C-Strip Fan/Edge Molding

UChannel

Petra's Tech Shop

You can make a new post if you want, or keep posting here. Don't matter to me

Comment

Working...
                X