Advanced Timing Control Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Timing Control Question

GA-EP45-DQ6. In Bios, under Advanced Timing Control is the option for Profiles. What are these used for?
    Thanks.
    Paul

Re: Advanced Timing Control Question

As it says:
    What it comes down to is settings that vary the amount of time each memory operation takes.When you vary your cpu speed the advanced timings may have to be altered especially when you are running the cpu as fast as it will go.
    If you mean the standard,turbo,enhanced thing .. standard is a good base,turbo brings the memory settings up to what the board thinks the memory will run at.. 52 tRC instead of 64 for me at 980 mhz for example.
    Enhanced wont run at all for me above loe performance settings.
    The only profile on my board is epp 1.That gives a medium overclock,grr it also leaves my fan running full speed..
    The rest is auto or disabled. I leave it disabled.
    Last edited by kick; 03-06-2009, 09:39 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Kick,
      Thanks, but that info is not what I am talking about. There is nothing in my book about this issue. I will try again.
      Go to M.I.T., open Advanced Timing Control, Go down to either Channel A or B (Both have same menu), open Channel A or B Drining Settings, then open Driving Strength Profile. Choices are Autu, 667, 800, 1066, OC-1200 and OC-1330.
      The system is working at Auto, but I wanted to know how each of these settings is used I understand that they represent probably memory speed, but I also want to know how they applied when fine tuning the system.

Comment

ah ok,Well since I replied ,.. my machine has the same driving strength profiles for each channel,with other settings beneath those

I dont know what the draw down settings etc do, and I also dont know what the profile settings do.There is no detailed explanation in my manual either.
        On guess work ,as Im sure youve thought yourself the 1066 profile might optimise the settings below for someone trying to run 800mhz memory at 1066(not uncommon).
        Whereas auto might leave those settings more optimised for the settings on the memory.
        Thats what I hoped when I tried it and also OC-1200 even tho I wasnt trying for 1200.
        Needless to say it didnt work.
        Lsdmeasap may have a more non "try it n see" explanation or maybe there is something in the memory timings and overclock stickies above that i missed.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Those will manually set a pre-defined set of settings for all the settings below Driving Strength Profiles (Clck Pull Down, Up , ect).

Like setting 800 will set all the settings below to a pre-defined set of settings for 800Mhz instead of what may or may not be used if Driving Strength Profile is left to Auto.

I have found that most memory I have used would run best with the driving strength profile set to one above the actual ram speed, but then again some will not. And of course that will have to do with the actual ram speed, and all other timings and voltages.

So, it kinda is a try it and see thing, but only to a extent. I would benchmark both one above your ram speed and the one closest to it and see which proves to be better for your ram setup you are using.

Comment

Thanks. I looks like Gigabyte didn't discuss this in the manuel because even they don't know how the settings are used.
            Thanks for the help. AT least, now I will quit worrying about the settings and try the changes the Lsdmeasap suggested.
            Paul

Comment

They know, they just cannot translate all that info to put in the manuals I would imagine. Plus a lot them are specific to the memory speed/amount and or chips used anyway.

How you getting along with your memory tweaking? If you need any advise let me know and I will try to help best I can

Comment

Thanks for your information and assistance.
                I will get back with you concerning OC once I return home on the 20th. Where can I get the template to list my current settings?
                Thanks.
                Paul

Comment

Here you go, copy this and save to a txt file. Then print it out and write your settings from the BIOS down, then come back here and copy/paste the blank template from your txt file and post it here and fill it in with your settings.

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
                  [b][u]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/u][/b]
                  Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
                  CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 
                  Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                  CPU Frequency ...........................: 

[b][u]Clock Chip Control [/u][/b]
                  [b][u]Standard Clock Control[/u][/b]
                  CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
                  CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
                  [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100[/B]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

[b][u]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/u][/b]
                  CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                  PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                  CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
                  MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

[b][u]DRAM Performance Control[/u][/b][u][/u]
                  [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD][/B]
                  Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                  (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                  System Memory Multiplier ..............: 
                  Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 
                  DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

[b]Standard Timing Control[/b]
                  CAS Latency Time........................
                  tRCD .........................................
                  tRP'...........................................
                  tRAS..........................................

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first.  Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

[b][u]Advanced Timing Control[/u][/b]
                  tRRD...........................................
                  tWTR..........................................
                  tWR............................................
                  tRFC...........................................
                  tRTP...........................................
                  Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

[u][b]Driving Strength Profiles[/b][/u][b][/b]
                  Driving Strength ............................

[b]Channel A[/b]
                  Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                   tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                  tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                   tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                   tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                  Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
                  Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                  Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                  Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
                  Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                  Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b]Channel B[/b]
                  Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                   tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                  tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                   tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                   tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                  Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
                  Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                  Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                  Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
                  Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                  Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/b][U][/U]
                  Voltage Type.………... Manual
                  [b]CPU[/b]
                  CPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto if not overclocking, if you are overclocking please do find and set your own voltages

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

[b]MCH/ICH[/b]
                  MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 
                  MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                  MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                  ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< Leave
                  ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

[b]DRAM[/b]
                  DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 
                  DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                  Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                  Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

[b][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/b][U][/U]
                  Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                  No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                  CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                  C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                  x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                  CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                  CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                  Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[b][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/b][U][/U]
                  Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Working...
                  X