GA-MA790FX-DS5 No dual channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA790FX-DS5 No dual channel

Hello, I have four 1GB DDR2 dimm modules. Three of them are identical (Kingston 667Mhz) and a new one at 800Mhz. Problem is all of them are working fine but no matter how hard I try I cannot get dual channel working. Memory always stays at 64bit unganged mode.

I have tried leaving just two identical 667Mhz modules (both in the yellow and red sockets) but i can't still get dual channel working.

Any ideas. I am using latest bios F7.

Everything is AUTO (SPD) on bios.

Any ideas?

Re: GA-MA790FX-DS5 No dual channel

Phenom CPU have two individual memory controllers (DCTs), each one of them controls single memory channel (64 bit). These two DCTs can work simultaneously when memory modules are installed on different memory channels. It is called “unganged mode”.

You can switch to “ganged mode, 128bit” when you are using two or four of the same memory modules. Please enter BIOS setup program, to press CTRL+F1 key to enable advanced BIOS setup features then enter "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)\ DRAM Configuration", to set the “DCTs Mode” as “Ganged”.
    Note:
    When enabling Dual Channel mode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that
    memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used and installed in the same
    colored DDR2 sockets
    for optimum performance.
    DDRII_1, DDRII_2(yellow) or
    DDRII_3, DDRII_4(red)
    Last edited by stasio; 03-05-2009, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I can't find that "DCTs mode" option under M.I.T.\DRAM configuration!

I have pressed CTRL+F1 at bios welcome screen. More options appeared though.

BTW: What is "bank swizzle" for?
      Last edited by eL_PuSHeR; 03-05-2009, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I found nice thread here
        Be sure that your memory is in yellow slots.

Comment

I have the four slots populated (2 yellow and 2 orange -> 4 x 1GB DIMMs). It should work but it doesn't. I am becoming frustrated. I have two other different PCs and they both have dual channel enabled when memory sticks are in pairs (one of them even with 512MB,512MB,1GB,1GB with different speeds).

BTW. How do you clear escd table? I don't see any option in bios.

Comment

What CPU do you have? Not all CPU's support Ganged mode so the DCT option would not be visible to you if your CPU does not support it

You have loaded optimized defaults since you installed this BIOS or setup the machine right? Just checking

As for ESCD table, that is like CMOS or DMI table all you need to do is clear your CMOS and then reload and apply optimized defaults and reboot back to the BIOS and set your settings again and then once you boot thru to windows it will rebuild the table

Just to be sure about Control + F1, you are pushing this on the MAIN BIOS page right? The front page. Just checking incase you do need to use it, maybe not? But I know your CPU must support it first

Comment

I have updated my bios to F8a. I have now the DCTs mode option (when pressing CTRL-F1), but even if I force that option to GANGED, the bios message screen keeps displaying UNGANGED 64-bit. CPU-Z reports my memory as dual channel but UNGANGED.

Any ideas?

PS - I have been tinkering with voltages but to no avail (my system is rock solid withouth touching the voltages).

Memory Controller Voltage -> From auto to -0.1500V (odd there aren't positive values)

DDR2 Voltage Control -> From auto (1.98V according to SPD) to +0.15V

Still, no difference.
              Last edited by eL_PuSHeR; 03-21-2009, 09:12 AM.

Comment

It will go to the top when you bump it, for sure man! But that is normally the back end of my replies so sorry I have not replied here sooner. I try to start further back in posts to users who have not been helped yet and work my way to the front. When I am not behind I do get all new posts answered each night, but I am pretty far behind right now.

So you are sure your memory is in the correct slots, and matched per the pairs then right? Just checking.

Are you using the latest CPU-z? If not, grab the latest to be sure that is not the issue here >>
                CPUID

Can you check with Everest Ultimate and see what it says (Hopefully the trial does not have this info blocked out) >>>

You can check in a few places in Everest to see what it says for memory bus type, check in Motherboard/Motherboard and in Motherboard/Chipset Then Northbridge and you should also see memory controller Type and Active Mode there as well

Comment

I have done it by swapping my four 1GB modules for two identical DDR2 800 modules. Now I have Dual Channel working. System seems more agile too.

Comment

That seems odd. Unganged IS dual channel. Ganged is single channel.
                    I can no longer find the switch in BIOS F8a. I've heard the option is removed for compliance and no significant benefit to going single channel anyhow.
                    Spider: Phenom II 955BE, Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5, Asus 3870x2, ASUS Xonar D2X pcie, 4 x 1gig OCZ2N1066SR2GK @800, OCZ StealthXstream 600w, Antec 900 case. Vista x64 HP SP1
                    #2 Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 1950pro, Asus A8V-D, Enermax 465P
                    #3 2500 Barton, x800xl, ASUS A7N8X-E, Antec 400

Comment

Working...
                    X