USB and PS/2 remain powered after shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB and PS/2 remain powered after shutdown

I've recently built a system with the GA-MA770-DS3P revision 2.0 motherboard, and noticed that after a full shutdown, the USB and PS/2 ports remain powered, indicated by the NumLock light on the PS/2 keyboard and the USB mouse light remaining on.

Is there a way to disable this behaviour? I have disabled all of the power management settings, disabled Legacy USB support and the USB Mouse Attached and USB Keyboard Attached options are both disabled.

Prior to noticing this problem, I had upgraded from the original F2 bios to the new F4 bios - could this be an issue?

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Model Name : GA-MA770-DS3P(rev. 2.0)
    BIOS Ver : F4
    VGA Brand : Asus Model : EAH4350
    CPU Brand : AMD Model : 920 Speed : 2.8GHz
    Operation System : Vista 32-bit
    Memory Brand : Kingston Type : DDRII
    Memory Size : 4GB Speed : 6400
    Power Supply : 460 W

Re: USB and PS/2 remain powered after shutdown

There might be an option(s) in your BIOS that read(s) "power on by mouse" or "power on by keyboard". If this is enabled, you can double-click your mouse to turn on the PC. You can also type a password in the keyboard, and the PC will turn on. If you set both of these options to disabled, you should be good to go.

Please note, that these two options, if they exist in your motherboard BIOS, are different than the options "USB Keyboard support" and "USB mouse support."

Hope that helps!
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (F7 BIOS)
    Intel Pentium E8400 E0
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skill DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V~2.1V
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
    (3x) Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA II Drives
    CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
    XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages
    Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Comment

Thanks heaps for your reply. I had found these settings under Power Management and disabled them both - I too would have thought this would have solved the problem. But surprisingly not.

It might be they have opted to keep the power on after shutdown so you can charge up USB devices, but why this would apply to the PS/2 port also I can't imagine.

There used to be a jumper on some motherboards that would enable or disable this feature - does anyone know if such a jumper exists on this particular board?

Comment

Most likely you will have no luck, I have the same issue on my board. I just replied about this to a user here >>>

It is all about your PSU's features. And we would not want to downgrade our PSU's to disable a feature... So not many options if the one mentioned here by another user is not on your board

Comment

Unfortunatly I feel you may be right. Perhaps one way around this will be to invest in a wireless keyboard and mouse - their base stations will still get power but the devices time out and turn off.

Thanks for the info though.

Comment

Ya, I think that would be true, at least one would expect it to work that way.

Comment

Working...
            X