Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCH Vcore - EP45-UD3R

I have an E8400 running 2 x 2GB GSkill RAM at 1066 5-5-5-15

As I flirt with a 3.82 GHz overclock on the 2.40B memory strap, I found that I had to increase MCH Vcore from 1.20V to 1.22V. Previously I was accustomed to raising the CPU Vcore, which I only had to bump up 2 notches to 1.28125V. CPU stable, but then got some rounding errors on large FFTs in ORTHOS. Upping MCH Vcore to 1.22V seems to have fixed it.

My question is... my board shows a stock MCH Vcore of 1.10V, but everyone recommends starting at 1.20V and going up from there. 1.22V seems to work great for me, but how high can I go with this MCH Vcore value? Also, is there a sensor that can tell me the temperature of the Northbridge as I increase the MCH Vcore?
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (F7 BIOS)
    Intel Pentium E8400 E0
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skill DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V~2.1V
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
    (3x) Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA II Drives
    CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
    XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages
    Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Re: MCH Vcore - EP45-UD3R

You will be fine with 1.24-1.3 for 2x2. Some straps, Multi's, and tRD settings may need more or less, so keep that in mind as well as P45 is very tricky when it comes to this.

I have seen users need 1.35+ For 8GB, and I have seen users run 1.4+ on air so you will be fine for sure in the 1.3-1.4 range, but you should not need it with 4GB.

There is no sensor, the "System" Sensor is located close to the NB but is not the actual chip. If you want to know for sure you would need to buy a sensor and place it next to the chip, or on the heatsink to get a general Idea of temps. But with 1.2-1.3 you will be fine, and you can tell that by touching the heatsink it would not be hot at all provided you have good airflow thru your case

Comment

Thanks for this. MCH Vcore of 1.22V kept me stable for 10 hours ORTHOS blend test at 9 Priority. I manually stopped the run at that point. Memory bandwidth on the B strap seems to be better than on the D strap. I'll post my settings later once I'm sure I'm stable. Perhaps it will help some others.
      Intel Pentium E8400 E0
      CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU

Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Comment

FYI I'm running mine on 1.26v 24/7 for the last 3weeks without a single issue if that makes you feel any better. And goodluck with your overclocking I've also managed to take my e8400 upto 3.825 but had to stop there because of the high temp I was getting in IBT. I was only putting like 1.216 vcore but max temp I saw was already like 66. Jeez.

BTW as always you've helped me a great deal by helping others Lsdmeasap, thanks.

Comment

You should run Orthos at it's default priority of 1 not anything else. Any other value is less stress

Yes, B will be better at certain speeds, it all depends on all your other timing as well.

Ohh yah gigaboy? Glad I could be of some help for sure!

Comment

Really? ORTHOS at Priority 1? From what I have read, the higher the value, the less chance other services/applications will take CPU cycles.

At priority 1, I could use my PC at the same time as if nothing was running. At priority 10, the OS was unresponsive completely. At Priority 9, only ORTHOS can run. If I try to do anything in the background, it runs, but feels like a snail.

I'm using the latest version. Do I have this all wrong?
            Intel Pentium E8400 E0
            CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU

Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Comment

I think I linked this already somewhere here.

Yeh I wouldnt mind drilling heatsinks and inserting a thermocouple or 2 and then maybe using a dab of epoxy resin to hold it steady to get a good temp readout.
              Ive no idea tho where to cnnect it on board ,more flashing lights and readoutds
              ftw!
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Looking good Outer Marker

Another thing I notice on my board is that certain MCH voltages have less memory bandwidth. Very strange. Like for me 1.22v works great, 1.24v looses bandwidth, 1.26v again great and 1.28v again looses bandwidth. Above that seems fine up to 1.4v

Not sure what is going on with that, but 1.26 would take me to 470FSB or so, then I used 1.32v for ~500FSB.

With my quad I switched to F4 and like it much better, I can actually run Prime blend stable at high speeds, never had an issue with small FFT, only blend. Anyway I now run 1.1v MCH for 400x9 instead of 1.22v as again 1.2v doesnt work similar to the strange voltages above.
                New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

It's funny you should mention this as I have observed exactly what you have described. That's one of the reasons I wanted to have a discussion about MCH Vcore. I know we should always try to look for the lowest stable voltages, but with MCH core at 1.24, I was stable, but less memory bandwidth as reported by Everest Ultimate.

Then I discovered something else... Once I got stable with MCH Vcore at 1.24 (less bandwidth), I loosened the sub-timings for my memory. That actually increased the bandwidth back to what I had with 1.22 MCH.

You can see what I finally settled on as stable and fast here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/stab...-3-83-a-30823/

Notice the subtimings are a little loose. I can tighten them, but actually get less bandwidth if I do!
                  Intel Pentium E8400 E0
                  CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU

Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Comment

Originally posted by Outer Marker View Post
                    Notice the subtimings are a little loose. I can tighten them, but actually get less bandwidth if I do!
                    Just a question, how was stability affected? Like were the tighter timings unstable even with the higher MCH? Maybe thats what I need to work on

I only used Memtest for the bandwidth assumption that i had, so I wasnt sure if it was a bug in the program, but it was very repeatable. Glad you confirmed it.
                    Last edited by SpeedEuphoria; 03-06-2009, 02:30 PM.
                    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Once I was stable on the MCH voltage, I tightened the timings, but saw less bandwidth in Everest Ultimate. I didn't test stability since I wanted better bandwidth. I immediately loosened timings and saw bandwidth got better. When I saw that it didn't get any better, I stopped relaxing the timings and re-checked stability.

Can't say for sure that tighter timings are unstable, but they gave me less bandwidth for soem reason.
                      Intel Pentium E8400 E0
                      CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU

Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Comment

Well some settings will of course affect bandwidth negatively if you set them to low, or if you set them to low with improper voltages in use per the settings applied.

I can say you guys may be right to a extent for sure as P45 chipset is very tricky when it comes to voltages and straps in use. Just do keep in mind not all settings lower is better

Comment

Working...
                        X