very frustrating E7400 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very frustrating E7400 problem

Hi guys,(sorry for longish post, trying to pre-answer questions that you might ask)

I have a GA-P53C-DS3R rev 1.1, i've had it for about 2 years now working solid with my old processor, yesterday i got a E7400 to give myself a bit of a performance boost, once i had it installed i could not get past the logo screen, i checked the gigbyte website, it says the processor is compatible with the board with the new bios 12e.

GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-P35C-DS3R (rev. 1.x)

i flashed them with @bios(i know its a bad thing, but didnt find this forum till after i did it :( ) that didnt help the problem, i then took out the mobo battery to try and reset the bios and that hasen't seemed to do anything, infact it seem's this morning it won't even let me get to the logo screen anymore, just black screens on me.

when i place my old processor back in, everything run's fine(even with this new bios), i think thats what's frustrating me the most, anyways;

Rig info

ram: 2x1gb ram(not sure on make, can find out later)
    gfx card: nvidia gts 8800
    psu: Corsair 520
    hd: 1x500gb(master) and 1x80gb(slave)(can find out makes later if needed)
    cpu and mobo stated above

I've done quite a bit of researching and haven't really had anyluck with the answers i've seen, most people with my problem seem to have it after a while and it's a dodgey component i.e ram or mobo has died, but i know all my kit works, i double and triple checked all my connections inside the case, i'm really coming up blank with ideas with what to do.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can lend me.

Kemi

(going out today, so won't be able to post till a bit later)

Re: very frustrating E7400 problem

Can you please go back into the BIOS and press F9 on the MAIN page to see if the new BIOS is indeed the one now installed and in use?

Even if it is, I would advise you flash it in again using Qflash and Disable "Keep DMI Data" if you have that option in your Qflash.

Then after you flash reboot and load optimized defaults, and set ONLY your ram voltage and then save and apply and reboot BACK to the BIOS. You MUST do this before windows as you will have to set all your SATA/Disk settings again.

This is especially important if you are running a RAID Setup. If you are running RAID you will need to enable RAID Again, save and apply, then reboot back to the BIOS and go into the advanced BIOS page and then into Hard Disk Boot Priority and move your array back to the top of the list.

If you did not load and apply optimized defaults after you flashed the last time this may be the issue.

Please read this for all Qflash related info and tips >>>

Aside from that, do you have any other way to test your CPU to be sure it is not DOA? It happens

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, i'm pretty sure the new bios was installed properly because i had a whole load of new bios options when i checked before putting the new psu in although i did not load the optimized defaults, hopefully that is the problem, i'll give your ideas a try, i can test the new processor in my housemates pc, i really hope it's not dead on me already :(

Comment

Well I hope your CPU is ok as well, The OLD PSU did not die on you did it? If so, you may not get so lucky with your other hardware.

Yes, optimized defaults MUST Be loaded and applied and then a reboot back to the BIOS to set all settings again after any flash or new hardware install

Let us know how you get along with this

Comment

Well no luck so far, the old cpu is still working(thank god), i followed your advice and loaded the optimized defaults, i set most of the options to auto, the one option i was unsure about was the 'turbo' option, i was tempted to set it to standard, but in the end i just left it as it was because i was unsure what effect it would have, after all that the pc was still getting stuck at the post screen as normal, i did a quick check also and took out all my non essintal hardware (hd, soundcard, cd drive, etc) but i still got the same result.

What i'm thinking of doing now is downgrading the bios to f10 to see if that works, unfortunately i can't check the new cpu because of house mates pc's are a bit older then mine, so they may have the same problems as my pc and have compatilbilty problems.

If you've got any other ideas that i can try that would be great.

Comment

The difference between standard and turbo (on my board anyway) is that turbo sets the memory to run tighter/under more strain .In theory standard should help to make any hardware work more easily with the board/memory.
            Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
            Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
            Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
            8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
            60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
            GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
            Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
            http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Ok heres the update!

I got it working!! which is fantastic, what me and my friend did was to basically set most of the options to really low, so the processor was set to running at 1.3 i think, since then I've slowly got it running at stock and also checked the memory to see if it will run if pushed for over clocking (and it seems to work)

I really have no idea what was stopping it loading up, my hunch is that it was the 'turbo' setting on the pc performance option, i have it set to standard and everything is running fine, i'm still a bit nervous to set it to 'turbo' because i don't want it to fail on me again. if anyone could try and comfirm this it would be brilliant piece of mind

On a side note, the guy/company who decided it was a good idea to make cpu heatsinks with those crappy little plastic connections needs a good slapping! i think changing that cpu fan every 5 minutes was almost as annoying as the pc not turning on!

/rant over :P

Comment

Ya, Standard Performance Enhance is suggested for sure.

If you would like optimal settings ranges for all your settings let me know what Speed you want to run and I will give you a table of settings to work with. I do need a link to your memory or the Model # though before I can advise

Comment

Working...
                X