USB issues + GA-EP45T-UD3P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB issues + GA-EP45T-UD3P

Seems none of my USB ports are working, so i am trying to re-install windows and cant move my mouse pointer(its USB QQ).

When i was in windowsXP(as i installed it earlier) there were a lot of hardware profiles for usb hub with an exclamation mark next to them, i ran through the gigabyte drivers disk that came with the mobo, installed the radeon display driver just so i could sit at my monitors native resolution. But I couldnt get any response from older USB hardware(my mouse) and newer USB hardware(my Ocz thumb drive) so decided to re-install windows(after playing with the bios a little, then resetting it to failsafe defaults).

interestingly enough the mouse has power and the laser behaves as if it were plugged in(starts pulsing after a period where its sitting idle).

My system specs

obviously you know my mobo
    Q6600
    4gig Corsair DDR3 1600mhz
    Radeon HD 4870 x2
    case - Enermax Uber Chakra
    mouse is a generic logitech mouse
    OCZ 60gig solid state

Re: USB issues + GA-EP45T-UD3P

Please load Optimized Defaults, and save/apply and reboot (F10)

Fails safe disables some things, and lowers some voltages, ect that you do not want to run with.

As for your actual issue with device manager once you are in windows, you need to install the Intel INF Chipset Drivers. You can get the latest direct from Intel Here >>>
    Intel Chipset Installer Download

You will also of course, after you load optimized defaults and apply/save/reboot go BACK to the BIOS before windows. You MUST do this as you will have to set all your SATA/disk related settings again before you load windows

Then also be sure you have all the (4) USB Settings enabled in the Integrated Peripherals page of the BIOS. Some USB mice/keyboards will have issues in the BIOS so you may need to use a USB to PS/2 adapter always, or at least until you enable those two settings as the default is disabled

Comment

cheers for that LSD, got everything working, had to specifically install a HI mouse driver, usb and sata ports all working fine now.

Just working on the audio, the disk that actually came with the mobo throws an error on install of microsoft UAA audio bus drivers for high definition, so DL'd that manually and installed it(realtek azalia).

Also i dont have the audio manager icon in my tray, seems odd, maybe the install disk just isnt liking Windows XP as ive had a couple of other minor hitches. Audio manager is supposed to have the dolby home theatre function in it so ima guess ima search for that and DL it manually.

Comment

Great to hear!

Where did you download your realtek driver? It may not have been the full package, do you see the RealTek Audio Manger in Control Panel as it's own entry? If so, start it, it may just need to be started the one time. If you do not see it you can try starting it by finding the file (C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA) and clicking one of the following >>

RAVcpl32.exe or RAVcpl.exe for x86 (not sure how it is named, but you should recognize the icon)

RAVcpl64.exe for x64

The Dolby feature Is in control panel, then sounds then click on the speakers and go to properties and you should find the Dolby tab as you see here (Vista sorry) >>>

I use RealTek direct drivers always myself, no Microsoft UAA R2.17 >>
        Realtek

You may also grab them here (Direct not re-packaged drivers like you get from Gigabyte), as well as all other Gigabyte drivers/BIOS's (RealTek Section of the site) >>>
        Realtek drivers

Comment

Hmmm if only it were that easy heh, i will try and be as detailed as i can in my problems.

I have installed the Realtek HD Audio drivers(WDM_R217)i DL'd, in fact in control panel if i go to add/remove programs the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver appears in the list with the little Realtek symbol, it takes up some 58 meg or so.

Interestingly enough there is no icon in my toolbar other than the generic windows XP audio options(the grey XP speaker icon), and even inside that if i right click on it and go to ~adjust audio properties~ then to the 3rd tab ~Audio~, the drop down menu where i should be able to choose my default sound playback device, alls that is listed is my CMedia usb headset, no other options are present.

I can go to C: --> program files --> Realtek --> Audio --> Drivers --> WDM and if i try and run any of the executables(applications) in there nothing happens, Soundman, Skytel, Rtlupd, Alcwzrd, Alcmtr, RTHDCPL, RTLCPL, the only 1 i get a response from is the MicCal, it actually boots to a window i can see.

I believe the programs are executing via task manager and the run.dll's present.

If i go into Hardware --> device manager under the ~sound, video and game controllers~ tab i have

Audio Codecs
          Legacy Audio Drivers
          Legacy Video Capture Devices
          Media Control Devices
          USB Audio Device
          Video Codecs

No-where does it say Realtek HD audio controllers or the like, despite the fact via add/remove programs it is clearly installed, in fact i can go to program files and the Realtek directory.

I have uninstalled and re-installed several times and each time ive had glitches, the initial install from the disk that came with the mobo threw an error on the microsoft UAA drivers, i then have installed several different drivers and had an error the last time i removed an audio driver, but it is no longer present in my add/remove sofware menu even tho it did throw an error. The current drivers i have just installed seem to install fine, asks me to restart the computer and so forth, but nothing is appearing in my tray in way of a special realtek icon, or in the windows generic options tab under audio as alternate sound playback devices other than my USB headset.

Im getting to the point where it might be a re-install of windows QQ

Comment

That may be what is needed, a clean install. And what I would do is go to windows update after you install your chipset drivers and find the UAA Drive and hide that update. You may need it later, but if you do you can get the combined package from Gigabytes website, or I could get you the single KBxxxxx file from Microsoft.

If you do a clean install I would install Intel chipset only, then the Sound driver from RealTek, and ensure it is working, then set a system restore point. Then go download updates from MS a few at a time with a manual restore point made between each until you find out which is causing this issue. It used to be UAA, but I think that issue has been fixed as I have installed it and realtek on a few XP Setups with P35 and P45 without issue lately

Comment

Alright i have fixed the problem, but run into more issues, now with the actual 2.17 Realtek HD audio driver(will talk about it later), seems that the disk that comes with the mobo(Eaglelake maybe?) by default installs the kb888111xpsp1 by default(clearly useless to me as my default install of Windows XP is SP2, and probably why it threw an error at me when i tried to install it 1st time around), so i removed all registry key entries relating to this older version ~

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Wind ows XP\SP3\KB888111

After which i uninstalled my current Realtek HD sound drivers via add/remove programs under control panel.

I DL'd and installed all windows updates, and rebooted

On the reboot windows detected and installed the newest version of it's UAA drivers, (hurrah!!), i then installed Realtek WDM_R217. Then i rebooted again.

On reboot i have the special Realtek icon in my tray giving me access to the audio manager

But heres my problem, now it seems that Realtek have altered how the audio manager handles analogue sound, i have the Z5500 digital Logitech speaker system 5.1(does have capacity for digital connections but im still on the old RC plugs), after plugging them into the jacks i cannot get any sound out of the rear speakers (hurrah starting to fade). .......

My old Realtek AC97 audio drivers on my Nforce 3 chipset gigabyte mobo ran analogue audio in the stereo x2 setting of the Z5500 on all of my 5.1 speakers like a charm, games i set to 5.1 would make use of the 5.1 system, like doom3 and such.

I think im going to try rolling back to earlier versions of the Realtek audio drivers, i dont mind losing some of the functionality to gain access to my rear speakers, recreating the sound at the top of everest or in Hitler's bunker i think should be secondary to actually having all 5.1 speakers working in analogue, the best i could get was my front 2 speakers working, my center speaker and my sub woofer(under 6 channel setting on both the Z5500 and in the Audio manager), varying jack placements + switching to 8channel and so forth did manage to get some of my rear speakers responding but then some others would be silent.

Either that or i buy a fibre optic cable and connect straight to SPDIF which i guess is my only option if the older Realtek drivers cant get my rear speakers working.

Cheers LSD for the advice, maybe you got something for me on the surround sound + analogue under Realtek WDM_R217 with the Logitech Z5500

Comment

Alright after some playing around(older drivers, different jack setups, blah blah) i have managed to get sound from all speakers(hurrah!!) but only in the Realtek HD audio manager(hurrah gone).

Seems when i go to the loopy music in the 3D audio demo the sound works fine from all speakers as the ball loops around the room representing where the sound is emanating from under 6channel option in the audio manager and 6 channel on the logitech Z5500, but when i say, load a game, like CoD4, sound only comes from the front speakers, center speaker and sub woofer, the rear speakers have nothing.

I have noticed now in my ~Sound and Audio Devices Properties~ under the ~audio tab~ for ~sound playback default device~ i have 3 options for sound now the -

Realtek HD Audio Output
                ATI HD Audio Rear Output
                Cmedia usb Headset

My graphics card(Radeon HD4870 x2) is ATI, but whats it doing listed as an audio playback device, perhaps for HDMI? Could this be a conflict in games like CoD4 for the rear speakers? I dont see how as it has it's own listing in the sound properties, but with the troubles i have been having with this mobo i wouldnt be surprised if Jesus walked into my room and slapped me with a fish.

Comment

Ya My 3870 does that as well, I think it is for HDMI but I dont use anything other then the normal 2 speaker setup so I am not sure.

Now, What is all this about SP1 and your disk? That is crazy. Sounds to me Like if it wa me I would start over. And DO NOT use Express Install, install your drivers manually one by one from the website and not the CD at all.

Wish I could be of more help, but I dont game or use anything other then 2 speakers. But I can say this game sound issue is a widely posted one, I see it often at various places. I think you do need to use HDMI cables or The other digital output on the board or card.

Hopefully some of our gamers will pop in hear and help you out with this as they should know. If not I would make a post in the Audio and Visual Section and the Gaming section about this sound issue and link to here so they can get all your long post of info.

Comment

All fixed LSD, cheers fer teh help, i wound back to an earlier Realtek driver(1.50 i think it is) and now have sound from all 5.1 speakers on direct input under Stereo x2 on the logitech digital z5500.

I guess i will upgrade to digital anyway some time in the future, i just wanted to get it set up on analogue until i get around to getting an optical cable.

Comment

Superb to hear!

Glad to see you got it all up and running smoothly, good job man!

Comment

The RealTek setup is quirky at best. I too have the Z5500 5.1 speakers and they sound great, that is after you've fiddle-farted around. I thought that my "issues" had to do with running Windows 2000, but apparently I'm not alone.

My solution was to set the speakers to 8-channel in the AUDIO I/O panel and to use the PLII MOVIE or MUSIC mode. Aquamark demo sounds awesome as does playing music using WinAmp.

To test or set the relative speaker balance, only the 6 CH DIRECT mode works for me. RealTek 2.07 and 2.14 worked identically on my system.

Hope this helps.
                        Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                        P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                        4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                        Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                        WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                        SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                        Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                        Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                        Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                        MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                        Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                        HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                        CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                        win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Ya, I agree. I think it is only like that in XP or lower though, seems to work great and look much nicer in Vista for sure

Comment

Working...
                          X