Intel e8400 reads 105 C on BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel e8400 reads 105 C on BIOS

I just completed my first build and my cpu is reading 105C after a few minutes of running. I removed the thermal compound and reapplied as I thought I used too much. Still same problem. I am using the EP45-UD3P mobo with a 750W PSU, 1 500 GB WD HDD and a 1 TB WD HDD. Do I need to flash the nios? And if I do how do I do that without an operating system installed? The directions for the BIOS utilities say you should install an OS before installing the utilities.

Thanx!!!!!
    Last edited by diabolikDan; 02-28-2009, 12:00 PM.

Re: Intel e8400 reads 105 C on BIOS

You download the BIOS and extract it to an USB stick. Go into BIOS, start the QFlash utility and tell it to load the BIOS from the USB stick. You may need to enable leagacy storage detect. Be sure to load optimized defaults (and save them with a reboot!) before you flash the BIOS.

Where in BIOS does it say that exactly? It can only be false reading, your PC wouldn't be running if the CPu were that hot.

Comment

Thanx. It says the temp is 105 in the PC Heath menu of BIOS. I just read that to flash the BIOS with a USB it needs to be formatted to FAT 32/16/12 file system - is that the default for a USB stick?
      Thanx again!
      I can't get the computer to stay on long enough to get the information into it. Any ideas? Should I disable the automatic shut off? Can i even do that?
      Last edited by diabolikDan; 02-28-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

the computer now idles at 95 -96 C, or so it says. Got into the QFlash, buy no USB option. I have an old 3.5 floppy I could use. Floppy is the only option given in the utility. Gonna try it.

New BIOS updated and the BIOS now holds steady at 96 C. System temp shows 33 C. I read that this is a false reading and to not worry about it but I can't help but think something else is wrong.
        Last edited by diabolikDan; 02-28-2009, 05:00 PM.

Comment

96C doesn't sound right. I had a not fully seated HSF and it idled in the high 40's on my E8400, thats with an aftermarket S1283 HSF.

If you have the mobo out of the case its best so you can see the backside and verify that the pushpins are fully sticking through the board
          New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

HSF completely secure as far as I can tell; temp holding at 96 - 97 C. System temp at 28 C. Gonna keep looking for answers, but I think its a misreading.

Thanx!

Comment

ack.. I doubt a board/cpu would stay running if that temp was true.
              Try install the os anyway?
              Sounds like something is faulty, but bios on it should be ok for start up at least.
              I never checked temps on mine when I started it up.. just went ahead and used os and motherboard cds.
              Maybe if you hadnt checked loadup screen. you would be ok,Dunno.
              Last edited by kick; 02-28-2009, 08:12 PM.
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

I've read a lot of reviews stating that they have high temps like these but with aftermarket fans and heat sinks the temps fell, slightly. I didn't actually start the computer to look for temp readings, but when the power just shut off after 10 minutes or so I started to look around.

I plan on just installing the OS and see what happens. I really doubt the CPU is that hot - its almost 200 F!!! - I am sure I would not be able to take out the processor immediately after a temp that high and not get burned or at least smell something.

I'll post again after installing. Thanx.

Comment

I apparently did not have the HSF securely mounted. Should have done a bit more research before proceeding but it felt like it was attached. Now CPU temp at 35 C!! I feel so much better. Thanx for all the help!!!!!

Comment

I cannot believe no one has asked.....?

What cooler are you using anyway? If it is indeed a Intel Stock cooler, I would believe this temp and would almost bet it is not fully clamped down.

I would remove the board from the tray and look at the backside and see that all 4 clips are fully pushed thru/engaged and snapped in properly.

I have never seen a BIOS temp reading be incorrect, software in windows yes often, but BIOS is normally about as close as you can get without a Multi Meter

Comment

Yes it is the stock HSF. I did remove it and reattach and found it to be way off. As this is my first build I wasn't sure if I was going to break the mobo or not. I didn't :)

Thanx!

Comment

Omfg
                        Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
                        Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
                        Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
                        Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
                        Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                        G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
                        2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
                        Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
                        2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
                        Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
                        Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
                        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
                        ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
                        Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
                        Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
                        Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
                        NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
                        1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
                        Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
                        Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
                        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Heh thats taking passive cooling to the extreme.
                          Amazing the bios screen came up.Gl on the rest of it.
                          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                          http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Wow, I thought that may be the issue! Hope your CPU is ok????

Those Stock heatsinks are terrible, at cooling and installing. Best to save up and get a good heatsink, especially if you plan any kind of decent overclock.

Hope your CPU is ok man!

Comment

Working...
                            X