GA-EP45-UD3P Boot-Up Times Windows XP x64 versus Windows XP System x86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3P Boot-Up Times Windows XP x64 versus Windows XP System x86

I was wondering what people's boot times were running this board. I know that I am not scientifically timing the boot process but when the XP logo on my boot comes up its takes about 6 to 6 1/2 swipes before I get into my login screen. Considering I have a huge amount of memory and a quad core its still puzzles me why my AMD 6400 (x2) dual core running on an Abit AN8 (Windows XP x86) Ultra destroys this machine when it comes to boot time. I think it takes something like 2 maybe 3 swipes before I am at th login screen.

I just recently redid both systems latest drivers defragged etc. The gigabyte board just seems slow overall.
    Gigabyte Ep45-UD3P Motherboard (F10F Bios)
    ToughPower 650 PSU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9300
    Windows XP x64
    8gb PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) OCZ Reaper Memory
    500gb Seagate SATA Hard Drive
    20x LG SATA Dvd Burner
    Soundblaster Audigy Sound Card
    MSI ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB

Re: GA-EP45-UD3P Boot-Up Times Windows XP x64 versus Windows XP System x86

Hy!

HPET Function it's enabled in your bios?
    Power Management: HPET: ... enabled or disabled?
    Win XP default settings : disabled.

Sorry my bad english.

Comment

szacsee thank you for your reply!

I have HPET enabled in the bios and mode set to 64 bit. I figured since XP is a 64bit OS that made sense but now thinking about it maybe that is what is causing the slow boot up?
      ToughPower 650 PSU
      Windows XP x64
      20x LG SATA Dvd Burner

Comment

Just made the change seems to have made the boot process a bit longer now. Its going on 10 swipes after the change.
        ToughPower 650 PSU
        Windows XP x64
        20x LG SATA Dvd Burner

Comment

Vista takes longer to boot than xp,allways.(for me)
          Vista 64 running with any sort of overclock on ud3 takes longer to boot than standard.
          Ive become very good at telling when an oclk is going to work or not on vista screen loading times for various configs .
          Also for me at least it takes abour 5 min total for vista to be fully loaded>
          I mean it will work ok once the start up icons fill but hdd doesnt stop spinning for up to 5 min.
          This is reduced if I use the same bios config all the time.
          Vista is supposed to "learn" with use.
          Bios changes .when successful have longer load times (for me).
          Then again I have 32 bit xp and 64 bit vista.
          Last edited by kick; 02-28-2009, 07:56 PM.
          Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
          Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
          Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
          8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
          60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
          GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
          Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
          http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Anyone out there using Windows XP x64? That is what I am trying to compare. XP 32-bit boot time versus XP 64-bit. Not Vista, but XP.

My old system XP 32-bit boots faster then this gigabyte build which is running XP 64-bit. Makes no sense since my other system is 2 years older has half the amount of ram and a slower processor.
            ToughPower 650 PSU
            Windows XP x64
            20x LG SATA Dvd Burner

Comment

Perhaps it's your hard drives and/or where your OS is placed upon them?

For an easy to use option try using BootVis perhaps? |MG| BootVis 1.3.37.0 Not sure if it works for x64 XP.

A more customizable option is using Ultimate Defrag Disktrix - We make 2 Amazing Defraggers - UltimateDefrag & DefragExpress set it up so all your OS files are placed at the beginning of the HD, also make sure Pagefile is disabled.

For advanced tweaking you can go inside UD's Boot Time menu and manually decrease/enlarge the MFT and place it and Pagefile (if you use it) plus many other options anywhere on the HD you want.

Comment

I have a Seagate 500gb Hard Drive 7200RPM. C:OS D:Programs E:Storage. I just defragged the registry and the system files. First reboot was faster 3 1/2 swipes but after shutting down twice I am back at 6 1/2 swipes or back to normal.
                ToughPower 650 PSU
                Windows XP x64
                20x LG SATA Dvd Burner

Comment

Is this a clean install? Just wondering.

All the installed programs the same?

I do think x64 XP is buggy and that is likely the issue here. I would bet you if you installed 32bit onto the new setup it would be much faster at bootup like your other system

And my thoughts, that XP "Swipe" can be very erratic and not very often a good indicator of loading speeds. Kinda like the XP "Searching for updates "Swipe"" in windows updates, very erratic

Comment

Yup clean install and all the latest drivers. Shame because I think XP x64 is so much better then Vista x64.
                    ToughPower 650 PSU
                    Windows XP x64
                    20x LG SATA Dvd Burner

Comment

Have you tried Vista Business instead of Ultimate, I use it and love it? SP1 of course

Other then that you may just have to wait for Win7 to be final, have you tried out the beta of that yet?

Comment

I tried Vista Ultimate but cost is the thing in the end. I have a full copy of XP x64 and not of Ultimate. I tried ultimate for like 20 days and it was ok, a bit heavy in terms of memory usage imo.
                        ToughPower 650 PSU
                        Windows XP x64
                        20x LG SATA Dvd Burner

Comment

Originally posted by fcastro View Post
                          Yup clean install and all the latest drivers. Shame because I think XP x64 is so much better then Vista x64.
                          I agreed with you, I had before using Vista x64 over year then switch to xp x64, I said wow I noticed some area snappier, speed, files transfers flies unlike Vista x64 files transfers so poor even SP1 anyway.

XP x64 sp2 is same code as Windows Server 2003 I think.

I say XP x64 is superior and far better than both vista 32/64, that is my 2 cents.

BTW, who cares Vista anymore ? Windows 7 is around the corner as Vista will be bite the dust just like old Window ME.

pg
                          GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
                          New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
                          G
                          .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
                          MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
                          PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
                          Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

Working...
                          X