Vcore random increase and other questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vcore random increase and other questions

My VCore randomly jumps from 1.39V to 1.45V under load. I dislike this. I am using the MA78GM-S2H Motherboard Bios version is F7.

I don't like it because my Phenom II 940 does not need that much voltage. It was doing this at default clock speed as well.

Also, I can't change my ram from unganged to ganged. It's not a huge problem, but it's annoying because a few apps I have like more then 2GB ram.

Let me confirm something here, my understanding is unganged only lets 1 stick be used per core (If you have 4xwhatever) now.. is this based on the programs affinity, or if they actually use said core? (If I game and it uses one core for the most part, but its affinity is to all will it be able to use ALL my ram or just one stick)

Thank you!.

Re: Vcore random increase and other questions

Do you have Dual channel ram? If so, do you have it in the correct slots for dual channel/ganged? They should be in the first two slots from the CPU

It does not have anything to do with per core affinity or usage. It is just how data is processed timings and freq-wise, per channel or per stick. Either way they both would be used, just in unganged you could set the sticks to run at different speeds or timings.

Here is how that works >>>
    Ganged = dual channel mode for ram

Phenom has two memory controllers on the CPU.

Ganged is setting both memory controllers to work together which allows data (that is being used by all cores) to await on the queue until they are accessed.

Unganged means that the two controllers work independently. This allows them to work asynchronously with reference to individual clocks with their one or two Dimms.
    As for your voltage jumps, I dont know, normally there is a drop under load?

Have you tried older BIOS's? If you have recently or a while ago, do you remember this always happening?

Maybe you can lower it some to where it will still be stable under load and be at acceptable Idle voltages as well?

Comment

Older BIOS wont do anything for me. P2 is not supported in anything below the F6 or F7 (Pretty sure its the F7)

Idle cpu temp is 35-36C. Because it's idling at 1.39V. But then when under load the Vcore jumps up to 1.49V according to HWMonitor.

Also, I just did a full stress test of my CPU only to stop early. I hit 60C in less then a minute because of the random voltage jumps. This is not a defect in the MB because I had returned my previous one for repairs.

My understanding is the P2 940 will be damaged at 62C, so I wasn't about to continue the stress test and risk damaging a 220 dollar cpu. Screw that.

I have 4x2GB ram, so all the channels are full. I however just want to run it in ganged mode because some of my games (Like supreme commander) seem to like to take a massive 4.2GB+ chunk out of my ram - which is why I got another 4GB.

And yes, I was at F5 bios until yesterday and the voltage happened then to. If I set it up 0.250V in the BIOS instead of leaving it on normal it still does the jumps, only .250 higher.

I need this sorted out because I really don't want a fried/damage CPU because my Vcore wants to randomly jump.

Comment

So can you set the voltage .25 lower instead of higher then?

Do you mean you cannot enable DCTs in the BIOS or what did you mean about ganged not working for you then?

Comment

I cannot access a DCT option in BIOS, even with CTRL+F1.

I cannot set the voltage any lower then it is now. It's either "Normal" or up.
          Last edited by Darksoul; 02-27-2009, 06:55 AM.

Comment

This is what I mean:

Normal-not under load picture:

Under load - What is going on picture:

]

View the Vcore on both pics and see what I mean?.

Comment

I just called gigabyte tech support. Wasted twenty minutes for them to tell me that I should RMA the motherboard if I was unwilling to do what they said (They told me to reset bios to defaults after I had updated it.) when I asked them if it would fix the issue they told me they didn't know. This was not a issue with the new BIOS version - it happened on the old one. When I told them this they shrugged it off. Really pathetic. I don't expect tech support to know everything, but I do expect them to be able to tell me if the auto-voltage change was because of the BIOS or a faulty motherboard. But again, they didn't know.

Comment

DCT option is in your BIOS, but only if the CPU Supports it. I have little knowledge about AMD so I could not say, does your CPU Support this?

From your manual >>>

DCTs Mode (Note)

Allows you to set memory control mode.
                Ganged Sets memory control mode to single dual-channel.
                Unganged Sets memory control mode to two single-channel.

(Note) This item is present only if you install a CPU that supports this feature
                Ya, that is quite a large jump in voltage for sure! Have you googled around to see if this is the "Norm" for that board? I would have a look, it may not be and you may just have a faulty Voltage controller and would need to RMA. I know you don't want to, but you may need to

Comment

Working...
                X