Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembling q9550+ud3p, need hints

Hi people
    I've been reading posts on the forum for some time now, and tomorrow i'm assembling the components from my sig. I've been away from building pc's since '02 and could use a bit of advice.

When i'm done installing the hardware do i need to enter the bios to set it up or does it automatically recognize the cpu and RAM?

My understanding is that if i set up the SATA for AHCI Vista already has drivers while xp needs them on a floppy?

When i'm up and running I might try a bit of OC, how far can I take it on the stock cooler and still be fairly quiet?

Thx in advance

Re: Assembling q9550+ud3p, need hints

The board didnt recognise my rams special performance settings initialy but it did boot the ram at 800mhz standard timings.
    So u can change them after if you want.
    The standard cooler I cant say for sure,never tried it on mine,but my cooler is supposed to be 10-15 degrees of heat better than the intel one under load.

Using coolermaster V8 cooler and u really need the board out to put it on(special backing plate and have to tighten the cooler from the back.)

If thats true my cpu would run too hot under testing with intel one,and I can sure hear the fan going when its at full speed.
    It doesnt go over 50% in normal use and I cant hear it below that.

In short if you oclk your cpu to max safe test temps intel cooler will keep it at,the fan might not be noisy under normal use.
    Advanced host controller I dont know about.
    Just that mine works on both vista 64 sp1 and my old xp sp3(32) hdd installation
    The xp hdd is out now tho.
    They were both connected to the yellow sata connectors and could boot off either,no extra drivers needed but xp hdd wasnt in long.
    Last edited by kick; 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

You don't need to change anything for the RAM and CPu to run at their normal speeds.

If you turn on AHCI Vista will automatically install the drivers while XP would need a floppy. If you update the BIOS after installing Windows with AHCI be sure to turn on AHCI again as it will not boot in IDE/Legacy mode.

In case you're wondering why your CPU speed is shown lower than it's supposed to be than that's nothing to worry about, it's a power saving feature. When the CPU is idle the multiplier is reduced to 6x which will reduce the CPU speed to 2GHz (333x6).

Comment

One thing you DO Need to do after you first build it and enter the BIOS is Load Optimized Defaults and then save and apply and reboot (F10) back to the BIOS and then make any desired changes.

This allows the BIOS to pickup your CPU and ram timings, and then you go from there.

Depending on your ram you may want to set the Main timings at least manually, but almost always you should set your own voltage to spec or just below for your ram.

You should also for now Put Performance Enhance on standard (Default is turbo) you will find this in the MIT Section of the BIOS

The above comment about AHCI is correct, but you can also load your own Latest Intel AHCI Driver if you wish from USB during he Vista install. Here is the Latest AHCI Driver, RAID is included, but Vista will only show you the AHCI Driver per your settings >>>

Intel Matrix 8.7 RAID / AHCI Floppy (Pre-Install) drivers

x64

x86

Comment

Thx for the fast replies.
          I got delayed at work and only just got back so i'll probably not start the build tonight, as i need to clear up my workspace first :((

Does anyone know if there's the faintest chance of getting my old XP installation to run on the new build or is that just begging for BSOD's ?

My RAM is rated for 1,85 at 5-5-5-15 so should i set that manually?
          thx again

Comment

You can give the old XP a try, but I would uninstall all the drivers and run something like driver sweeper or driver cleaner before switching the HD to the new system. I ahve no experinece with this myself but I've heard reports of it working but also reports of it causing problems and resulting in lower performance. Back-up your important data (just in case...) and give it a try.

You won't need to set anything manually, the RAM should run fine at AUTO (standard timings are 5-5-5-15/18).

Comment

What board was your old install on anyway? It may work, but it would not be advised or the best thing to do for your system

Comment

Working...
              X