No announcement yet.

Please recommend RAM for GA-EP45-UD3P?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please recommend RAM for GA-EP45-UD3P?

Further increasing the voltage by another 0.04V actually caused a Prime error after 1 hour again. I then put a Corsair Airflow Fan 2 on the RAM and it's been priming for hours now. I didn't even reboot from the settings that failed after 1 hour, so the problem is "only" heat. Considering that this is on an open test bench this is quite interesting. The reason why many people fail to run 4x2GB may actually be heat, inside a case temps are usually at least 10C higher than on an open test bench.

You should also conisder getting a RAM cooler. The new Corsair unfortunately has the worst fans I've ever heard, it's quite noisys even if you udnervolt, the bearing noise of those fans is incredibly loud (normally the airflow noise is the loudest thin, fans need to be very bad for bearing noise to top that at higher RPMs).
    There's also the OCZ cooler is better fan-wise but that is a very tight fit, it's almost touching the video card or ay actually touch it if the video card has screws sticking out. If you use some insulating tape on the OCZ's mounting brackets though you cannot get a problem thoguh even if it is touching a screw of a long video card.

Comment

Hey vraptor,

Did you ever get the RAM to try in your GA-EP45-UD3P? If so, what did you go with?

I'm thinking of going with G.SKILL PI Black 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). It got some good reviews with this motherboard on the egg.

I'm hoping the BIOS will just will automatically detect this RAM at the specifications and capacity of the memory (as it states it should in the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P manual)...

Comment

It wont..or at least it didnt for me.. it will boot it up at the 5-5-5-15 setting.. but that may be because epp profile isnt on when you start up first in bios.
        Either way its very easy to change to the 4-4-4-12 in bios,you shouldnt have to bump the voltage either,uness you start overclocking.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Thanks for the reply, kick - i will keep that in mind.

Comment

I ended up purchasing the UD3P with 8GB of RAM, 4x 2GB G.Skill 1066, Newegg #N82E16820231166. Auto config went off without a hitch. I have a non-OC'd Quad Core 9550 in it.

My only speed bump, hardware-wise, is that there doesn't seem to be a driver under Solaris 10 x86 for the on-board SATA RAID/IDE combo controller which is apparently a JMicron chipset.

It runs cool and hasn't broken a sweat yet, though I've not thrown anything serious at it, really. Even the 9800GTX+ generates little heat compared to earlier video cards I've had, like the ATI 9800 AGP series from several years back.

My only nit-pick is that I wish they'd have put the SATA ports out of the way of long add-on cards.

=V=

Comment

Working...
            X