Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another GA-EP45-UD3R and G-Skill 4x2GB 1066 Ram Question.

Well let's hope your replacement mobo will solve your problem then. I feel your pain you know, I at least lost half my hair going through all these problems but I only had half hair to begin with so only have quater left now.lol

Comment

I dont run 8g.I have tried it tho using some 5300 Standard samsug memory just to see what happened.
      It didnt go very well but machine was running fine with 8g at the max the samsung could take,The gskill was just underclocked.
      Im wondering could it be something as simple as undervoltage on the 4 stick/8gig probs.
      U bang in your 2x2 gb of whatever memory and this boots up fine on auto.
      Then you put in the other 4 gig in banks 2 and 4,
      Depending on whether the memory has an epp profile or not,perhaps people might need to dial in extra voltage when they have the machine running on 1 or 2 sticks of ram.
      like use a utility to see what the actual ram voltage is while running the operating system.
      Then head out to bios or maybe et6 and put in a voltage .03 higher than that manually instead of auto,I say .03 because thats the shown vdrop i get while running compared to what I enter in bios.
      Then if thats good reboot again and enter ,I dont know another .03v to compensate for putting in another 2-3 sticks of memory.

So for me at 490 cpu ref ,980 mem speed with 2.08 v entered in bios.it shows my mem voltage dropping to 2.05 while the os is running.
      So if I did get another 2x2 g set and put it in and the pc failed to work.
      I would take out the 2 new sticks.Then i would get to bios again and add in .03 for the memory.Id probably add in .05 just to save time.That would be 2.13/2.14 entered in bios.
      I would probably save that bios setting too.
      Then I would reboot into the os and hopefully be running on my 1 or 2 sticks at more voltage than I actually needed,but not a ram life shortening voltage.
      Then shut down pc ,disconnect etc,put in the other 2 sticks and,,hopefully it would boot up ok ,
      The mch voltage i dont know about,either increase it a bit and save,or i think someone used a lower voltage for 4 sticks!.

I dont know if thats clear or not ^ but I know what Im thinking of :).

btw why does everyone seem to be trying to get their memory to its rated speed by using a divider.
      Yes I know for some peoples cpus if they try and run 1:1 ie 2:00 multiplier they may go too hot on cpu before reaching their mem speed,but isnt it better to have the fsb speed as high as possible and use a lwer cpu multiplier?
      Last edited by kick; 03-01-2009, 04:23 PM.
      Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
      Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
      Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
      8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
      60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
      GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
      Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
      http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by Pete21 View Post
        When I put a 2GB stick(the same stick that has worked in Dimm 2 and 4) into just Dimm 1 the system boots.

When I put that same 2gb stick into Dimm 3 the OS fails to load and I get a blue screen error, Page in nonpage area.

I pluged my sata cable into the purple bank and selected
        Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ...........AHCI
        I got my external to be recognized in the OS, but I lost my dvd-rom, which was IDE.

Why doesnt the esata bracket work with the yellow bank of sata ports? My primary HDD runs off that bank.

Did you try just setting IDE mode instead of AHCI? You would need to load the Gigabyte driver for AHCI to function properly on those ports.

Have you tried the bracket connected to the Last 2 ports of the yellow controller? Port labeled 4 or 5?

Ya, sounds like a bad slot for sure. Let us know how your RMA goes. I think you may get denied since you cut the UPC and you will have to RMA to Gigabyte directly

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Did you try just setting IDE mode instead of AHCI? You would need to load the Gigabyte driver for AHCI to function properly on those ports.

Have you tried the bracket connected to the Last 2 ports of the yellow controller? Port labeled 4 or 5?

Ya, sounds like a bad slot for sure. Let us know how your RMA goes. I think you may get denied since you cut the UPC and you will have to RMA to Gigabyte directly
          IDE mode would not recognize the Esata bracket, but it would recgonize my primary HDD installed on that same bank. I did load the Gigabyte driver for ACHI.

I didn't try those particular ports, I used the two on the right side, top row.

If Newegg denies the RMA, what does the turn around time look like with Gigabyte's direct RMA?

Comment

I heard someone here say his RMA took six weeks. That's also about the time I waited here in Germany when my Gigabyte video card died a few days after arrival a few years ago.
            4-6 weeks is the usual RMA time in the industry. I love the fact that EVGA makes boards now, maybe that can push the others to also offer proper service and replace boards in less than a week.

Comment

Ya, I believe it is about a 3-6 week wait depending on where you are. Since you shop at newegg I will assume in the US. So it may be 2-3 weeks if you are lucky, you will be sending it to CA

Comment

I got my MB replaced from Newegg and the first thing I tested was if 1 stick would boot in Dimm 3. The windows progress bar appeared, but an error msg came up talking about register key.

I contacted GSkill and their response was:

If you are using 4 modules of DDR2 1066, you can only run it at DDR2 800 because the motherboard memory controller is overload and causes error. If you want to run it at DDR2 1066, we recommend only 2x2GB. 4x2GB we recommend DDR2 800

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Dimm 3? Did you try Dimm 1? For 1 stick you should use the first slot

Ya, you may have issues at 1066 with 8GB, I have not personally tested this or seen much of it in action

Comment

Working...
                  X