Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EP45-DS3L will not post sometimes (4x1GB ram)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EP45-DS3L will not post sometimes (4x1GB ram)

Ya that does sound like that one stick may have been going bad all along.

This concerns me >>>
    I have the same settings I had with the F8 bios but it booted up 1st try this morning after being off all night.
    Do you mean you manually put all the same settings back in and they worked fine? If so, that is all OK.

If not, and you mean you already had the same settings in there then you did not flash properly by loading optimized defaults and saving and applying and rebooting after you flashed.

This is not the proper way to flash, you MUST load optimized defaults and apply and reboot back to the BIOS to set ALL Settings again including your SATA/ Disk settings and overclock settings.

Comment

Yeah sorry - I loaded optimized defaults and reboot again; then manually put back my settings :) Now waiting on that 4th stick of RAM to arrive now.
      Q6600 - Gigabyte EP45-DS3L - 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 800 - ATI 4870 1 GB - Thermaltake 1000W - Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Heatsink

Comment

Ahh, Cool! Just had to check about that to be sure.

Well I wish you luck with your 4th stick. How did you get a RMA on one stick? Or did you just order one new one you mean?

Comment

I just ordered a new one for now. Holding onto the other 3 for now and not do a RMA yet and do so if another stick goes bad since this brand new stick was only $19. The new stick was a Patriot.

*** Almost fixed here. It boots up every time now from cold boot. Now though I get a BSOD just as the green bars start running across the bottom of the screen to load windows. It is fixed after restarting for like the 4th time or shut down and start over again. Any ideas why the BSOD?
          Q6600 - Gigabyte EP45-DS3L - 4x1GB Crucial Ballistix 800 - ATI 4870 1 GB - Thermaltake 1000W - Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Heatsink

Comment

Awww. Mixing Memory is only going to bring more issues to the table and I do advise against it

About your BSOD, is this with all 4 sticks now? If so, give me your settings so I can see if I see anything that looks to be off. If you are using the new stick, you did test it by itself right to be sure it was not faulty?

Some memory will not work at all together with others, some will be ok but take some tweaking, others are just a pain and never work together. Can you please link me or give me the model # for the patriot stick so I can have a look

Comment

Will post full settings in morning for you. Link to Patriot stick is below. Made sure and got 2.2v rated like the other 3 sticks, DDR2 800, etc.

Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Comment

Of note the odd thing is to get it past BSOD every time I simply need to go into BIOS and bump the ram voltage up or even down 1 notch and it boots just fine totally.

Here are the full specs. Any manual changes are in red that I have made and if not in red set at stock setting:

F10 Bios
                <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Ccgalde%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmso %20%20html1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagt ype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="address"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="Street"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} pre {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
                MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)<o:p></o:p>
                Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto<o:p></o:p>
                CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9<o:p></o:p>
                Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0<o:p></o:p>
                CPU Frequency ...........................: <o:p></o:p>
                <o:p> </o:p>
                Clock Chip Control <o:p></o:p>
                Standard Clock Control<o:p></o:p>
                CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] <o:p></o:p>
                CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 334 <o:p></o:p>
                PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: 102<o:p></o:p>
                C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]<o:p></o:p>
                Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]<o:p></o:p>
                <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">CPU Clock Drive</st1:address></st1:street>...........................: <o:p></o:p>
                <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">PCI Express Clock Drive</st1:address></st1:street>.................: <o:p></o:p>
                CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <o:p></o:p>
                MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <o:p></o:p>
                DRAM Performance Control<o:p></o:p>
                Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]<o:p></o:p>
                Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled<o:p></o:p>
                (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 333<o:p></o:p>
                System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.4B
                Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 802<o:p></o:p>
                DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]<o:p></o:p>
                Standard Timing Control<o:p></o:p>
                CAS Latency Time........................ 4<o:p></o:p>
                tRCD ......................................... 4<o:p></o:p>
                tRP'........................................... 4<o:p></o:p>
                tRAS.......................................... 12<o:p></o:p>
                <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>
                Advanced Timing Control<o:p></o:p>
                tRRD........................................... 3<o:p></o:p>
                tWTR.......................................... 3<o:p></o:p>
                tWR............................................ 5-6<o:p></o:p>
                tRFC........................................... 65<o:p></o:p>
                tRTP........................................... 3<o:p></o:p>
                Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2<o:p></o:p>
                <o:p></o:p>tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well<o:p></o:p>
                tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto<o:p></o:p>
                tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto<o:p></o:p>
                tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto<o:p></o:p>
                Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto <o:p></o:p>
                Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto <o:p></o:p>
                Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto <o:p></o:p>
                Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto <o:p></o:p>
                Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps<o:p></o:p>
                Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps<o:p></o:p>
                <o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p>Motherboard Voltage Control<o:p></o:p>
                Voltage Type.………... Manual<o:p></o:p>
                CPU<o:p></o:p>
                CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.3875<o:p></o:p>
                CPU Termination…..... 1.3<o:p></o:p>
                CPU PLL…………………....1.65<o:p></o:p>
                CPU Referen.…………....Auto Will set this correctly <o:p></o:p>
                CPU Reference2……… Auto Will set this correctly <o:p></o:p>
                MCH/ICH<o:p></o:p>
                MCH Core…………….....1.3<o:p></o:p>
                MCH Reference….……..863<o:p></o:p>
                MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <o:p></o:p>
                ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............:<o:p></o:p>
                ICH Core…………...……1.100V............:<o:p></o:p>
                DRAM<o:p></o:p>
                DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.14 - though all 4 sticks rated for 2.2 lie to keep it lower if possible to be safe<o:p></o:p>
                DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave<o:p></o:p>
                Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave<o:p></o:p>
                Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave<o:p></o:p>
                Advanced Settings<o:p></o:p>
                Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]<o:p></o:p>
                No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]<o:p></o:p>
                CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]<o:p></o:p>
                C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]<o:p></o:p>
                x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]<o:p></o:p>
                CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]<o:p></o:p>
                CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]<o:p></o:p>
                Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]
                Last edited by Deerhunter716; 03-08-2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

You left Clock drives blank, why? Are they 800/900? Just checking to be sure they are not 700/700 if so you are building settings from the fail safe defaults, which is not suggested. If you see 700/700 I suggest you load optimized defaults and start over, manually changing them will not help as fail safe will also load many hidden settings that may be incorrect, loading and applying optimized is a must.

2.2V is just a max allowed under warranty, you may find best to use 2.1 or less even. Some may need 2.2V, but not often this is the case, especially at stock speeds

I do suggest you get your CPU PLL down, that high of a PLL will kill your CPU Pretty quickly when you push on it. 1.55-1.58 is plenty for 450-500 FSB, and since you are using 333 FSB 1.5 or less is suggested

I think you may be using to low of a MCH Ref voltage, you are using .67 right? If so, try out .70-.73, see my signature if you are not sure of how to properly set this up

MCH Core, I would think you should only need 1.2-1.24 for 4x1GB at this speed and strap choices, have you tried it lower?

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    You left Clock drives blank, why? Are they 800/900? Just checking to be sure they are not 700/700 if so you are building settings from the fail safe defaults, which is not suggested. If you see 700/700 I suggest you load optimized defaults and start over, manually changing them will not help as fail safe will also load many hidden settings that may be incorrect, loading and applying optimized is a must.

2.2V is just a max allowed under warranty, you may find best to use 2.1 or less even. Some may need 2.2V, but not often this is the case, especially at stock speeds

I do suggest you get your CPU PLL down, that high of a PLL will kill your CPU Pretty quickly when you push on it. 1.55-1.58 is plenty for 450-500 FSB, and since you are using 333 FSB 1.5 or less is suggested

I think you may be using to low of a MCH Ref voltage, you are using .67 right? If so, try out .70-.73, see my signature if you are not sure of how to properly set this up

MCH Core, I would think you should only need 1.2-1.24 for 4x1GB at this speed and strap choices, have you tried it lower?

They were set at 800/800 for clock drives

PLL now at 1.55

MCH Ref voltage was at .863 but going to try your suggested .73

Bumped MCH core down to 1.28

*** Will try this and see if boots up okay in the morning. Thanks a ton.

Comment

800/800 eh? Do you remember loading optimized last? If so, ok, if you are unsure about that I would go ahead and do it again to be sure

MCH Ref I suggested was .70-.73 of course, but you must set it to that with Vtt at stock of 1.20 then move Vtt back to where you had it and the MCH Ref will auto adjust. If you know that, then ignore me just trying to make sure you know how to and are setting that correctly or it will only hurt your overclock if you are just setting it like any other setting.

Ya, let us know how you get along. Good luck with things, see ya soon

Comment

Yes - I had loaded optimized; but went ahead and did so again just to be safe and start over again. I even got a BSOD with optimized also (maybe since the RAM voltage was at 1.8 and mine does call for 2.2?

With MCH at 1.20 and even 1.24 it would not boot at all period with the MCH ref at .73 also; just kept restarting. I bumped MCH Core back to 1.28 and with MCH ref at .73 still would boot. Bumped MCh Ref up to .80 or .82 (cannot recall what the exact options were). Once I bumped the MCH Core to 1.28 and MCH ref to .80 or so manually (.63 of the MCH Core) the PC will now boot again.

So I am wondering if the BSOD is related to the MCH Core and Reference settings? If too low like 1.20 and .72 it will not boot at all.

10:30 PM EST -- just got a BSOD while browsing the web and it was a memory management BSOD.

The other item I noted just now is I shut her down with 2.1 RAM voltage with MCH Core 1.28 and MC ref of .79. She got a BSOD when I booted her up. Trield old trick as always to bump up ram voltage which always fixed it and only bumped up to 2.12 and still BSOD. BSOD at 2.14. Bump up to 2.18 and boots up like a champ. It never BSODS if I only do a system restart once up and running - only after cold boot.
                        Last edited by Deerhunter716; 03-09-2009, 09:29 PM.

Comment

You are setting Vtt back to 1.20 when you adjust MCH Ref right? If not then you are doing it wrong, so I just wanted to check to be sure.

Yes, to low of either Vtt or MCH Core/Ref can cause Various issues, to much of any of the three can just as well.

Auto MCH Ref should be no problems booting at all, this should only ever need adjusted with a super high FSB or you just are tweaking for stability/scores. I just note this incase you did not know, as you can easily set this to Auto and you should be able to boot fine always

Comment

Yes - had to have MCH core at 1.26 or it will not boot it seems. Still got a BSOD at windows green bars when cold booting this morning with no CPU overclock and only the MCH core bumped up to 1.28 and auto MCH reference.

With that I am now going to try moving from Vista 64 bit to a nice fresh install of XP Pro 64 bit just to give that a shot.

Comment

Hmm, no overclock and you are having these issues? I would try less MCH Core then, and maybe more Vtt if you are not using much

You should not need much more then 1.2-1.24 at stock speed with no overclock, unless you are maybe running to tight of a tRD for the strap you are using?

Have you looked at my review of 4x1 Crucial in my signature, I give settings for several speed ranges and you can see none needed a very high MCH. Of course they are the 2.0V sticks, but that should not matter so much.

I think using that mismatched stick may be the root of your issues, you might want to just save up or get a refund on tha one and buy a new stick of matching crucial

Comment

So far the 2 x 2GB kit has worked like a charm. 2 days of no cold boot issues so far!

Comment

Working...
                                X