GA-MA770-DS3 Tarantula USB keyboard bios and grub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA770-DS3 Tarantula USB keyboard bios and grub

I've got an odd problem. My tarantula keyboard will control the bios and boot menu if only the keyboard and mouse are hooked up.. however if i hook up my printer and scanner i can't control the bios or boot menu. Maybe this is normal but it sure is a pain in the ass having to unplug the scanner and printer everytime i feel like using linux.
    The printer is a "HP Photosmart 7960" and the scanner is a "Epson Perfection 4490 photo" I also use a Western Digital usb hard drive but the hard drive does not interfere with the keyboard.
    I updated the bios the other day to see if that would help but no go. All usb functions are enabled "Usb keyboard support" "mouse" and "legacy".
    If the printer and scanner are plugged in I can usually enter bios but i can not use arrow keys to scroll through menus.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a ton!
    Oh i forgot i updated the firmware for the keyboard as well.

Re: GA-MA770-DS3 Tarantula USB keyboard bios and grub

Did you try Legacy USB Storage Detect Disabled? This stops the USB Devices from being scanned at bootup for the BIOS or DOS only, they will function normally in windows.

Will this keyboard work if you use a USB to PS/2 adapter? You may need to do that

Comment

I'll give that a shot. I believe i tried disabling Legacy USB storage but i'll try again to make sure. I have not tried the ps/2 adapter yet. i'll give that a shot as well. thanks for the reply

Comment

I believe the PS/2 Adapter would solve that right away, but if you wanted to keep using USB then try the Legacy USB Disabled and see if it helps or not.

Comment

Nada on both counts. :( The ps/2 adapter did'nt work at all... however the one i have came with a microsoft mouse so maybe it's not compatible. I also tried turning off mouse support as well. for some reason this motherboard or keyboard just hates my scanner and printer. It's just odd that i can get into bios but once there nothing works.
          Might be time for a wireless all in one printer/scanner :(

Comment

Does it all work fine either way without the printer and scanner? If so, then that may be the issue.

I have my printers on another PC networked wirelessly so I cannot test things like that on my end

Comment

Yeah if i have keyboard, mouse, and usb hard drive plugged in the keyboard works great. But once the scanner or printer are plugged in the best i can do is get into the bios.. however no keys respond once the bios is loaded.
              I know it's not a critical issue :) but i'd like to be able to dual boot without getting under my desk every time i feel like loading linux :) Thanks for the help

Comment

Well i didn't find a real solution to my problem but i found a work around. I just bought a PCI USB add on card and plugged my printer and scanner into it. No more issues with the keyboard :)

Comment

Nice find, I thought about suggesting one of those for you but was not sure it would work so I did not want to suggest you spending $$ just yet. By the way, how much was the one you purchased?

And nice to hear you have solved/worked around your issue!

Comment

Just a 25$ cheepo at walmart. Thought it couldn't hurt as i've filled up most of my ports anyway :)

Comment

Ahh, well that isnt too bad. Likely cheaper online but I can see how WalMart would be easier for sure!

Comment

Working...
                      X