Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GA-EX58-UD5 REV 1.0 won't boot (no led info)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD5 REV 1.0 won't boot (no led info)

Hello, first of all, here's my spec:

I7 920
    UD5 Rev 1.0
    Mushkins 998679 3x2 1600mhz
    CM Dominator 620

The problem:

Me and my uncle first installed this PC Saturday, day 21, We used antiestatic gloves by the way.

The peaces, specially the Board and the i7 were installed carefully, still, after my initial test, it wouldn't boot, just gave me a Black screen... The keyboard gave no answer too....

Today, I removed all itens, one by one, till nothings was left, excepet the board + i7 + one DDR3, also, I tried all slots, I'm using only one DDR3 by now.

My bigger doubt is about the LEDS, I can only see two of them ON, the PHASE LED, which when I turn on gets full load till red, and the DDR3 LED...

Also, the LED which gives us the POST ERROR CODE won't give any info! It just stays in 8.8. ... And off course, the black screen, no keyboard response continued... Also I can't hear any BEEP's, I don't recall installing anything for it too, how can I check this?

I just received this peace from performance PCS, and since its a rev 1.0 I really don't think its bad or something like that, still, I have no clue of what's going on by now... Since I'm from Brazil, I don't know if theres any RMA in here or just in USA... : (

Don't know if reinstalling the mobo or removing from the Case would help; therefore, I'm waiting all help that I can get : /...

Thanks in advance, sinceraly,
    Rodrigo.

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 REV 1.0 won't boot (no led info)

You need a case speaker to hear beeps, it will connect by your Case Power switch and HD LED wires.

Yes, I would remove the board from the case, and remove it from the tray to ensure you do not have any shorts. Put it on a wooden table or cardboard box and then try again.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? You do have the memory in Slots 2, 4, and 6 correct?

While you have it out of the case, remove the CPU if you have no luck with the above thoughts and make SURE there are NO bent pins under the CPU

As for you RMA concern, you would have to try to contact someone closest to you on this list and see who they say to conact for a RMA. If the one close to you does not know you may need to call the US Office or Tiawan office and ask >>>
    GIGABYTE ~ Contact Us, Phone Info

If you have to, could you not return it to PPC's?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-23-2009, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply!

1 - Yes, I cleared the CMOS, but I didn't use the jumper or battery, just the rear button.

2 - Yes, I'm using the white slots, and as I mentioned, I'm using only one DDR3 (2GB) to see whether I can boot up..

3 - I removed the CPU yesterday, so we could check if there was something wrong, but it was fine : /

4 - Yes, I checked, theres no contact in South America... Plus, I contacted PPC's, they just answered:

" Hello

We are sorry but we do not offer support on motherboards. Please contact Gigabyte direct for tech support.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx "

I received this board 2/20 (Friday)...

Comment

Hello, adding important infos:

I removed everything and put the Mobo on my table.

I removed the CPU as well and checked the Pins again, nothings wrong...

The same thing continues:

1 - The post error LED keeps 100% actiev (8.8.), which has no meaning, right?

2 - The Phase LED keeps active till the LED 9 (RED), and the NB Phase too the 4 LEDS 1/2 1/2.

: / Running out of hope, what can be done now?

Comment

I dont know about your specific problem, but i had a faulty board which my reseller refused to rma for me to. I had to go the long way to get it replaced... problems i had are in this topic http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...ff-loop-29151/

I first contacted gigabyte global support GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone after some communication they gave me a contact in the Netherlands. I explained the whole situation and board error again to them and the gave me an rma number and shipping instructions.

Its now replaced and Gigabyte support was great all i can say, disadvantage of having to do it all by your self and not your reseller is it takes a long time.
          Ive been without a computer for 8 weeks almost.

Comment

Yes, I read your thread...

Well, I think mine's defective too... I contacted Performance-PCS, they said that don't take back Motherboards, and I should contact Gigabyte only... This is legal?...

I'm just disappointed and tired atm, paid a huge tax from customs and $60 for shipment... Just could not imagine this situation with a expensive board like this, especially a REV 1.0.

@LSDmeasap

If you have any other idea that I could test, please tell me...

Comment

Comment

Yes, some places only accept board back after 30 days, others do not accept returns. Most however will accept a return within 30 days for exchange only, but I do see this on the page for that board at PPC's >>>

*** PLEASE NOTE: This product is not refundable for any reason! All support and RMA will be through Gigabyte only. ***
                Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Core i7 / Intel X58 Motherboard Products Model: GA-EX58-UD5 [GA-EX58-UD5] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Did you contact Gigabyte close to you and ask them who you need to RMA with? Call the US office and ask

You DO have the 24Pin and 8Pin ATX 12V plugged in correct? Just checking

What GFX Card?

What PSU are you using, if it is small or cheap that may be your issue

Comment

@lsd

Sure, I have the pins plugged, but now that I removed the CPU no need the 8/12v pins plugged... (Even plugged, no difference).

I have a HD 4850, but was testing with a old XFX 6200, no difference, since prior test was without VGA.

I have a 600W PSU and other 450W PSU (for my oldest system)... Tried with both, and I really don't think that plugging a 1000W PSU will make difference... The Board + processor + ram wouldn't suck up more than 250W, and since I tried only with mobo and got the same LED results...

By the way, looking more calmy yesterday, I notice that when I turn off the power (holding 5 secs the p.button), the SB voltage and NB voltage flashes (the LEDS).

~

About PCS, yes, they claim that don't give support whatsoever; Gigabyte has a filial here in Brasil, called Digitron, I will ask Gigabyte to RMA with'em...

Spent $370 (with shipment) + $200 of taxes to get this :( ...

Anyway, do you think its DOA?

Comment

I am not sure if it is DOA or not without being there myself to check it out.

I can tell you that you need to continue any testing you do WITH the CPU installed and the 24pin and 8bpin connected, the board will not function without these so it is pointless now to see how it acts without them

Try clearing the CMOS with this method in Post #2 and see if it helps any >>

Is there anywhere is your town, a friend or store, where you could possibly test your CPU and ram to be sure they are ok?

Comment

@lsd

I know that won't work, but the LED result should be different, no?

I cleared the CMOS from that way already, no new results for me : (

~

I removed the CPU yesterday, I tested everything possible in both ways (with and without CPU).

Comment

Important update!

~

@lsdmeasap

There is the problems:

1 - Yes, the BIOS was corrupted from factory, don't know why or how... I took my system in the better comp. tech. store over here, when he tried to boot with another PSU he got the "FF" code...

So, he checked the processor, nothings wrong. After that, he updated the BIOS manually to the last version, and done!

Well, I paid $40 to that, thanks Gigabyte!...

2 - Now I discovered that my PSU has a problem in the 12v (2x4) pins... With his PSU with only 4 pins (I plugged only the left side), worked!...

But with my PSU, can't make it work.. Neither with 8 pins or 4 pins in left/right...
                        Last edited by rodrigobragamg; 02-28-2009, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Ahh nice to see you got this solved. So why could you not update the BIOS, just sounds odd he could but you could not

Ahh, sorry I reply as I read. Sounds like your PSU is faulty, I would for sure be sending that off for a refund or RMA and be using one with 8Pins

Maybe your PSU brands are the issue here, quality not wattage I mean?

Comment

Well, he updated the EPROM. I thought the same as you (that I could do manually), but he confirmed that he could not enter the BIOS... He thought at first that the problem was the Processor...

Well, but its worth it anyway, since I was almost sending my board to RMA, hehe! Also, he borrow me his PSU so I'm using it while I'm waiting my 600W PSU exchange.

About my PSU, I got a C3 Tech, famous brand here already that its a reseller of Coletek PSU's... Check out this review of the C3 Tech brand: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/635/10

Comment

Ya, you could have updated the BIOS yourself with a Floppy, since you had never got into it floppy would have still been enabled and set at first boot. That is likely all he did, a Blind flash

Faulty +5v eh, it happens sometimes even with the best.

About your Audio, is this case the same you had the old board in you are comparing to? What drivers do you have installed? Did you check the volume on the system control panel and in the toolbar for the headphones, may be turned down?

Comment

Working...
                              X