Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help understanding GA-EP45-UD3R BIOS settings & Core2 FSB OC principles

Hi all.

I just recently purchased an EP45-UD3R along with an E8400 and 2x 2GB Corsiar Dominator 1066. Initially I was planning just to run everything at stock (it's pretty fast as it is!) However, having used AMD systems consistently since around 2002 I'd forgotten about the whole mismatched FSB vs. memory bandwidth issue.

So now that I have this zippy dual-channel RAM setup capable of pushing 128 bits at 1066MT/s, it just seems plain silly to leave the FSB at stock where it has nearly 40% less bandwidth. I'm not interested in overclocking my CPU or memory, I just want to get the most out of the bandwidth between the two.

My ultimate goal:

* 533MHz FSB with a 6x multi (3.2GHz), keeping my CPU as near stock as possible
    * RAM running 1:1 at 533MHz, exactly at stock

Is this reasonable? I purchased the EP45-UD3R on Anandtech's budget system builder guide recommendation, and they had mentioned being able to "easily" reach 540MHz FSB<http: www.anandtech.com="" guides="" showdoc.aspx?i="3486&p=5">, so I'm hoping 533 will be quite possible. I'd like to keep voltages for everything as low as possible, and insist on a 24-hr prime and 24-hr memtest stable system.

I made an attempt to just set 533 for the FSB and a 6x CPU multi while everything else at "auto". I was having some success, but then noticed to my horror that the BIOS had goosed my CPU to 1.44V vcore and it was idling at 50C! That's one astoundingly stupid (and dangerous!) auto setting if you ask me, since the CPU was only running 6% faster than stock. Luckily I was only doing some Memtest86+ runs, so the system was only running at that voltage for half an hour or so. I also have a stock cooler on the chip from an old Q6600 system I built for someone (one of the larger, copper-core stock coolers), so I don't think it hurt anything.

Anyway, after that experience I'm reluctant to trust any of the BIOS "auto" settings if I'm going to change anything. I tried setting all main voltages to "normal" with 533MHz FSB, which promptly failed requiring a CMOS reset. So, that leaves me with a whole slew of settings that I'm really not sure about how to set reasonably, primarily various voltages and the MCH strap.

The MCH strap was one of the main things I was hoping to get help with. Here is how I currently understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The MHC bases it's internal operating clock on the FSB, similar to the CPU. The MHC straps are sets of timing configurations that are intended to correspond with the FSB running at a given speed. So, the 266 strap is what would be used for a stock 266MHz FSB setup, 333 strap for 333MHz FSB, etc. I would assume that, since higher straps are intended to be used with higher bus speeds, it stands to reason that the higher the strap the looser the timing profile associated with it.

Is that correct?

If so, I would guess that for any FSB of 400MHz or higher you'd always want to go with the 400 strap, since that's what's intended for use with 400MHz FSB configurations, and will provide the loosest and most forgiving (hence stable) setup at 400+ speeds. Is this also right?

Lastly, if anyone has an idea of what voltages that I'd need to change beyond stock to get 533MHz FSB (I'm guessing just MCH-related things, yes?) and any suggested values to start off with, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Full system outline
    CPU: Core2 Duo E8400 (using a Q6600 heatsink)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R PCB v1.1, BIOS F6
    RAM: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5D (2x2GB modules)
    Video: HIS Radeon 4870 1GB
    Audio: SB Audigy2 ZS PCI (in PCI3)
    HD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3808110AS 80GB 7200 RPM SATA-II (RAID 0)
    Optical: LiteOn DH-20A3H-08 20X IDE DVD+/-RW
    PSU: Enermax EG565AX-VEFMA2.0-SLI 535W
    +3.3v: 32A
    +5V: 32A
    +12V1: 18A
    +12V2: 18A
    -12V: 0.8A
    +5VSb: 2.5A
    +12V Total: 34A
    Case: LianLi PC-61 USB (2x 80mm lower front intake, 80mm blowhole, 80mm rear exhaust, and 80mm exhaust in PSU, lower rear of left side panel is also perforated, so air is drawn in over expansion cards)
    </http:>
    CPU: Q9550 @ 3.4GHz (400x8.5, 1.300V, ZeroTherm FZ120 heatsink)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R PCB v1.1, BIOS F13e (modified)
    RAM: 8GB (2x2GB Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D, 2x2GB OCZ 2P1066LV2G, 1.9V 4-4-4-12 @ 400MHz)
    Video: Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB
    Audio: SB X-Fi Platinum PCI (in PCI3)
    HD: SanDisk Extreme II 240GB SSD
    Optical: LiteOn iHAS124B DVD+/-RW
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W S75QB
    Case: LianLi PC-61 USB (2x 80mm lower front intake, 80mm blowhole, 80mm rear exhaust, and 80mm exhaust in PSU)

Re: Help understanding GA-EP45-UD3R BIOS settings &amp; Core2 FSB OC principles

I don't have time to reply to the whole post right now, but I can give you a few quick answers: At 1:1 FSB and RAM bandwidth is exactly the same in dual channel mode. Increasing the RAM frequency basically improves latency a little bit, but that's not really a big deal, neither is fine-tuning the timings. You'll see improvements in things like SuperPi or memory bandwidth benchmarks, but start up a game benchmark and you'll hardly see a difference. At least in current ones that are somewhat GPU limited, in old CPU limited ones you may see a bigger difference, but it doesn't really matter whether you have 200 or 220 FPS there.

If you're considering spending time tuning your timings you should instead consider overclocking. Even a small overclock will bring a much bigger improvement than tuning timings ever will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
      I don't have time to reply to the whole post right now, but I can give you a few quick answers: At 1:1 FSB and RAM bandwidth is exactly the same in dual channel mode.
      Right, this is exactly what I'm going for.

Currently my available memory bandwidth is:
      533MHz x 2 transfers/clock (DDR) x 16 bytes (2x 64-bit, dual channel) = 17,056 MB/s

At the moment my stock FSB bandwidth is only:
      333MHz x 4 transfers/clock (quad pumped) x 8 bytes (64-bit bus) = 10,656 MB/s

For FSB that's a deficit of 6,400 MB/s, or about 37% less than the memory is capable of delivering, which is what I want to correct.

Increasing the RAM frequency basically improves latency a little bit, but that's not really a big deal, neither is fine-tuning the timings. You'll see improvements in things like SuperPi or memory bandwidth benchmarks, but start up a game benchmark and you'll hardly see a difference.
      I'm not looking to increase RAM frequency. I want it to stay at stock (533MHz, or 1066MT/s). I just want to boost FSB to match it so that I can use all the available memory bandwidth, while holding everything else as close to stock as possible. I'm interested in learning what BIOS controls and voltages to adjust to achieve that.

Are you saying that bringing the FSB up from 333MHz to 533MHz while holding my CPU and memory at/near stock won't make that much real-world difference? I'd think an extra 37% in usable bandwidth between CPU and RAM would make a significant impact.
      Last edited by Dalamar; 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM. Reason: Clarification
      RAM: 8GB (2x2GB Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D, 2x2GB OCZ 2P1066LV2G, 1.9V 4-4-4-12 @ 400MHz)
      Case: LianLi PC-61 USB (2x 80mm lower front intake, 80mm blowhole, 80mm rear exhaust, and 80mm exhaust in PSU)

Comment

If you increase the FSB as well then you might as well overclock, as technically you're not running your CPU within its specificatiosn anymore and you've voided your warranty (Intel can't tell though :))
        You will see see mroe of an icnrease in performance than by pure performance, but you will probably have to increase the CPU voltage if you're aiming for 533 FSB. All in all, a 100 to 200 MHz will bring you more performance though I think.
        The Core 2 CPUs have so much cache that they don't really benefit from extra RAM bandwidth all that much afaik.

But if you want to try it go ahead, you can't really break anything. Would be nice if you were to post some benchmarks!

Comment

If you increase the FSB as well then you might as well overclock, as technically you're not running your CPU within its specificatiosn anymore and you've voided your warranty (Intel can't tell though :))
          You will see see mroe of an icnrease in performance than by pure performance, but you will probably have to increase the CPU voltage if you're aiming for 533 FSB. All in all, a 100 to 200 MHz will bring you more performance though I think.
          The Core 2 CPUs have so much cache that they don't really benefit from extra RAM bandwidth all that much afaik.

But if you want to try it go ahead, you can't really break anything. Would be nice if you were to post some benchmarks!
          Well, I'll be slightly overclocking (from 3.0GHz to 3.2GHz) even in this setup, since I can't go lower than a 6.0 multiplier.

Are you saying that the CPU will need a vCore increase even if I'm lowering the multiplier to keep the core speed within 200MHz of stock?

Thanks for your replies, by the way. Sorry for all my questions, but I just want to make sure I'm understanding things correctly.

Comment

Are you saying that the CPU will need a vCore increase even if I'm lowering the multiplier to keep the core speed within 200MHz of stock?
            Will probably need it.

Comment

Will probably need it.
              Got it.

Ok, so I'll probably want to bump MCH core voltage and perhaps CPU vCore.

Do you think I'd need to worry about termination or reference voltages for either CPU or MCH to get to 533, or is it mainly the MCH core voltage that will determine stability at high FSB speeds?

Also, if you can confirm my understanding about the MCH strap functions that I mentioned in the first post, that'd be greatly helpful as well. I'm assuming I should stick with the 400 strap, since I'll definitely be above 400MHz on the FSB and would want the loosest timings possible to keep the MCH stable. Is that right?

Thanks!

Oh, and once I've actually got something working I will definitely post before vs. after benchmarks. I'm curious now too to see what difference it'll make.
              Last edited by Dalamar; 02-20-2009, 04:25 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

I hiope you have an E0 stepping, if you have a C0 you might be unlucky and not even hit it at all.
                You will probably need some Termiantion, MCH maybe +0.1V. But there's not much point speculating, just try it.

Comment

I hiope you have an E0 stepping, if you have a C0 you might be unlucky and not even hit it at all.
                  You will probably need some Termiantion, MCH maybe +0.1V. But there's not much point speculating, just try it.
                  Yup, I have an E0 (SLB9J). Going to try some settings now. Hopefully I'll be back later tonight with successful results.

Comment

Well, I've found a few things that sort of work.

I can achieve 533MHz FSB (x6 for a 3.2GHz CPU) that will boot into Windows, but isn't Prime stable, by doing the following:

Set Host Freq manually to 533
                    Set multiplier manually to 6
                    Leave (G)MCH Latch at auto
                    Set Memory Multiplier to 2.00B or 2.00D (both result in 1066 Mem)
                    Set (G)MCH core voltage to 1.20v
                    Manually specify my memory timings and voltage (5-5-5-15, 2.1V)
                    Leave all other voltages at "normal" and all other options at default or auto settings.

It'll only prime for about 10 min though, so there's still something that needs tweaking. I tried bumping MCH core to 1.30, and even CPU vcore to 1.30 as well, but it still wouldn't prime more than 10-15 min, so I suspect one of the other timing or voltage controls needs manipulating.

Oh, and I did see a hefty bump in Sandra (v2009.1.15.72) memory bandwidth. Here are the averages of three runs for before and after.

Stock
                    (333MHz FSB x 9.0 for 3.0GHz CPU, 533MHz RAM at 5:8 FSB:RAM ratio)
                    Int: 6773 MB/s
                    Float: 6767 MB/s

FSB Overclock
                    (533MHz FSB x 6.0 for 3.2GHz CPU, 533MHz RAM at 1:1)
                    Int: 8831 MB/s (a 30.3% increase)
                    Float: 8807 MB/s (a 30.1% increase)

Considering the CPU speed only increased 6% it looks like I'm successfully making use of more of the available bandwidth of the DDR2-1066 memory.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the configuration 24-hr Prime stable.

Any suggestions on what settings to turn to next?
                    Last edited by Dalamar; 02-21-2009, 05:48 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

The memory bandwidth benchmark is synthetic, improvement doesn't matter unless you get some actual performance improvement in a real application. Try benching with Crysis (demo) or even 3DMark, which is also synthetic but a lot less synthetic/closer to reality than Sandra or Everest.
                      You may need to increase CPU termination to get it stable and further increase VCore. Don't look at the BIOS setting of Vcore though, just look at the result in CPU-Z, You can also compare that to your VID (stock voltage) as shown by Core Temp.

Comment

Hi!

I think you are trying to achive your performance the same way as me (little CPU overclock, but as much memory performance as possible). Althought I am new in this OC scene, and have somehow different problems because of very small stock FSB (E5200/200MHz) I can show you some really helpful guides in my own thread (if you are familiar already, then never mind),(thread > http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45...se-help-30512/)
                        but the most important/useful are the followings I think:
                        1.) AnandTech: ASUS ROG Rampage Formula: Why we were wrong about the Intel X48
                        2.) AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed
                        A really detailed info about timings-tRD-FSB-latency-performance overcross
                        I try to figure it out, how can I use these info in my situation also (small FSB). Not a very easy stuff.
                        Last edited by vacapp; 02-21-2009, 06:49 AM.
                        >> The most useful guides currently on OC in addition to tweaktown sticky threads! <<

Comment

Originally posted by vacapp View Post
                          Hi!

I think you are trying to achive your performance the same way as me (little CPU overclock, but as much memory performance as possible). Althought I am new in this OC scene, and have somehow different problems because of very small stock FSB (E5200/200MHz) I can show you some really helpful guides in my own thread (if you are familiar already, then never mind),(thread > http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45...se-help-30512/)
                          but the most important/useful are the followings I think:
                          1.) AnandTech: ASUS ROG Rampage Formula: Why we were wrong about the Intel X48
                          2.) AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed
                          A really detailed info about timings-tRD-FSB-latency-performance overcross
                          I try to figure it out, how can I use these info in my situation also (small FSB). Not a very easy stuff.
                          THANK YOU, vacapp!

Those two Anandtech articles were HUGELY helpful and exactly what I needed to educate myself about the intricacies of the current Intel platform and memory performance.

I now understand why the quest for a 1:1 memory ratio isn't worth the effort.

I will now be pursuing a configuration using 400MHz or 450MHz FSB and attempting to adjust the memory multiplier, timings, and and particularly tRD to maximize performance.

A question, on Gigabyte boards is tRD the "Static tRead Value" setting for each channel?

Comment

Id load up memset,linked in the memory setting sticky above to find out about the timings.
                            Me personally my fsb/memory/cpu combination is just about right.
                            I was lucky in the memory,I didnt know it would run 1000mhz when i bought it,I just wanted the tight 4-4-4-12 timings at 800mhz on ejec voltages as my previous GA 73pvm s2 board has no mem voltage adjustment.

If you want a lot of detailed bandwidth readouts use cacheburst.
                            It will generate memory reports rapidly,but it gets a bit too detailed for posting.
                            Last edited by kick; 02-21-2009, 05:49 PM.
                            Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                            Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                            Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                            8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                            60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                            GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                            Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                            http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by Dalamar View Post
                              I will now be pursuing a configuration using 400MHz or 450MHz FSB and attempting to adjust the memory multiplier, timings, and and particularly tRD to maximize performance.

A question, on Gigabyte boards is tRD the "Static tRead Value" setting for each channel?
                              You are welcome. I spent a whole week to find this exactly fitted information according to my problems. Still, I am not finished yet because of the mentioned small stock FSB (what happens below 400MHz? Therefore is no hint, I must calculate it for this special case). But it seems I ve found the right informations. If you need some timings and other stuff like voltage, lifetime:
                              1.) TTR's Guide to Determining Optimum Overclocked System Performance Points - The Tech Repository Forums
                              2.) How memory frequency affects latency - Tighter timings vs. Higher speeds? - The Tech Repository Forums
                              3.) AnandTech: Intel's 45nm Dual-Core E8500: The Best Just Got Better

Althought I am still studying these new information (1. and 2.) compared to Anandtech (whether they are related and reliable) I share this of course.

As for tRD it is the Static tRead Value in BIOS and called Performance level setting in Memset Tweakers.fr (you should not save only apply in Memset and test, so you can reboot the pc if the lower setting not works).
                              After tests seems OK, you have to change for both channels - if you are running dual channel - the same value in BIOS.
                              >> The most useful guides currently on OC in addition to tweaktown sticky threads! <<

Comment

Working...
                              X