EP45-DS3R dead, troubleshooting help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-DS3R dead, troubleshooting help

Hi, I came home last night to find my EP45-DS3R machine dead.

Pressing the power button did nothing.
    I pulled the power from the wall, plugged it back in, pressed the power button, fan starts and stops, press power again, and system starts.
    After logging in the Intel Storage manager says it is checking my boot RAID volume.
    I looked in the NT eventlog and the system has restarted 6 times in about an hour, and then I guess not restarted.

I left the RAID check to complete during the night and day.

I came back home tonight and the system is dead again.
    This time it does not want to start.
    If I pull the plug, the press the power button, the case fans and PSU fan just starts to run the almost immediately stops.
    Unlike before I can now not get the box to power on.

The system is:
    GA-EP45-DS3R, F10 BIOS
    Intel Q9650 3GHz Quad Core
    4 x 2GB Mushkin XP2-8500
    Saphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
    4 x 500GB Seagate
    120GB RAID10 (OS), 800GB RAID10 (Data)
    Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

The system runs 24x7 and it has been running stable like this for about 2 months.
    I set the power profile to high performance to prevent the system from going to sleep, since it sometimes does not wake up from sleep. The S3 resume bug is supposedly fixed in the F10 BIOS, but I don't think so.

I would really appreciate your guidance on how to troubleshoot?

P.

Re: EP45-DS3R dead, troubleshooting help

Yes S3 is fixed for P45 provided your settings are 100% Stable.

Was it storming? Just checking

What PSU are you using?

Can you test your ram on another setup, if so please do one stick at a time >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

I would start by taking the board out of the case, off the tray, and put it on a box or wooden table. This is to rule out any grounding issues that may have crept in

Then start the system with the minimal hardware, that would be one stick of ram in slot one, one Graphics card, and NO Drives (CD or Hard) and see if it starts and will let you into the BIOS.

Please do Pay attention when unplugging your hard drives. Write down or mark with Post-it notes on each drive, what drives you have plugged into what ports as since you have a RAID Setup they will need to go back in the EXACT Same ports.

If it will not try another stick of ram until you have tested them all (This is just a "Will it boot" test with the ram, you should still perform the above mentioned Memtest86+ to rule out a faulty module)

If your system boots with it setup this way then add a set of ram 2x2 back and see if it is ok, if so continue to add your RAID drives back and then reboot and see if it is OK. If it is then add your CD/DVD drives, and so on and so forth one item at a time until you find the culprit.

You may also want to reseat your CPU while you have it all out of the case as it is true that "Chip Creep" happens. Here is some info on this >>>
    Info: What is "Chip Creep"? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

If you have another 775 board, you may also want to test your CPU on it, but it isn't too likely to be the issue but you never know

Comment

Hi Lsdmeasap, thank you for the advice.

No storms, sunshine weather and on a UPS.
      I will do some iterative testing this weekend.

Thanks
      P.

Comment

I took the system apart last night, and this is what I found:
        - Reset BIOS, same problem.
        - Replaced VGA card, same problem.
        - Disconnected all mobo connectors, same problem.
        - Removed CPU same problem.

Could it be the PSU?
        Can you recommend a PSU tester?

Thanks
        P.

Comment

I just bought a PSU tester at my local Fry's, and I think the PSU is at fault.

When I plug the tester in I get +5V standby, then when I press power the PSU turns on for a split second then powers off again.

The PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 650W W0163RU, and it is only a few months old.

I will try to RMA it, in the mean time, how about a replacement PSU recommendation?

Pieter

Comment

Sudden PSU death is nothing uncommon, could very well be the problem. If it is the PSU I hope it didn't kill any of your other hardware on it's way out...

Anandtech has just released a PSU roundup, check it out:
            AnandTech: 500W to 550W: 12 Power Supplies Compared

Comment

I RMA'd the Thermaltake, and ordered a new corsair HX620W, I will kep the Thermaltake return as a spare.

I picked (before I read your reply) the Corsair brand since it got good overall reviews on other sites, and currently has a rebate.

Thanks for the review link, I wish I'd read it before I ordered the Corsair, but I don't think I see any bad about the Corsair to make me cancel my order.

P.

Comment

It's not bad, I use the HX520 myself as you can see^^ The others are just a little bit better in some areas.

Comment

Working...
                X