Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static Trd and Command Rate

Hello forum friends,

I wanted to get your input (and possibly LSD) regarding Static Trd. In many of the templates I see here, LSD and other recommend a fairly conservative setting. I have found that I can get fairly significant memory bandwidth improvements by taking this value down to an agressive 7. I'm runnng 2 x 2GB GSkill 1066 memory. Anybody else see this?

Also, can I gain anything by switching to 1T command rate vs. 2T? I have heard that C2D only sees 2T anyway, but others say 1T is the best.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Outer Marker; 02-18-2009, 09:18 AM.
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (F7 BIOS)
    Intel Pentium E8400 E0
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    G.Skill DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0V~2.1V
    EVGA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
    (3x) Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA II Drives
    CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU
    Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
    XP Professional 32-bit SP3

Stable E8400 OC - stock voltages
    Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Re: Static Trd and Command Rate

I set the tRD as tight as I can for the same reason you stated. How low you can go seem to be dependent on the FSB, strap setting, tCL, and the memory divider. A good read here on the subject: AnandTech: ASUS ROG Rampage Formula: Why we were wrong about the Intel X48.

As for the memory command rate, 1T is not possible on Intel chipsets afaik.
    QX9650 batch L739A761/ GA-EP45-UD3P/ Kingston KHX9200 4x1G

Comment

Just a note, leave the PL(static tRead) loose(higher) till you get your setup stable at the speed(FSB) you want. As above certain FSB's you will have to loosen it and it may take you a little time to figure that out. So just tighten it last after its stable
      New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

1T is possible but I'm not sure whether you can do this on 2GB RAM sticks or if you need the really good stuff you only get on 1GB sticks like Micron's D9GKX chips (these chips only have half the capacity used on 2GB sticks, so you can't use them on 2GB sticks).
        On the other hand, 1T does not make as much of a difference on Intel systems though, unlike on AMD systems. The important setting on Intel is definitely tRD (don't remember if that even exists on AMD...).

Also read that article, it's really a must read, I linked it a couple of times here already.

And foolow SpeedEuphoria's advice of course, but judging from your first post I think you know that much already

Comment

Yeah, thanks guys. I'm down to 7 for the static read value. Everything is stable. I am thinking about going lower, but if I have to clear CMOS due to an unbootable situation, do my profiles get nuked as well?

I'm willing to clear CMOS if I had to, but the profiles make it so easy to set up BIOS. If my profiles get wiped, then I guess I better start taking screenshots of all my settings beforehand!
          Intel Pentium E8400 E0
          CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU

Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Comment

Clear CMOS does not nuke profiles, only flashing the BIOS does that. Clear CMOS works like load optimized defaults (or fail safe maybe, not sure, will have to check that).

Clear CMOS will nuke your curretn settings though of course. And that is what the profiles are for basically, you won't have to start from scratch after a clear CMOS.

Comment

You can use Memset to tweak the tRD (Performance Level) in Windows and then move the setting to BIOS.

Comment

Many times with this board if you get into the reboot loop, you just turn the power switch off on the PSU. Then wait 20seconds and turn on and power on, it may reboot loop 1-2 times then go to bios where you can change it back. Sometimes you have to do the PSU switch 2 times but it will finally boot.
                New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
                  crop... The important setting on Intel is definitely tRD (don't remember if that even exists on AMD...)... crop
                  The tRD is MCH read delay setting, so therefore, it is something unique to Intel platforms (pre X58, of course, since the i7's have on-die memory controllers like the AMD's).

Comment

Core i7 and AMD also have a memory controller and an interface from that controller to the CPU even if it's completely different form the old FSB. So that controller could have a read delay as well...but this is pretty much pointless speculation :D

Comment

Memset seems like the ticket. Good to know the board won't croak on me if I foul up. I'm so pleased with my overclock that having to do it all over again would be a pain in the a$$
                      Intel Pentium E8400 E0
                      CORSAIR 650TX 650W PSU

Stable E8400 OC - 3.83

Comment

Also, do keep in mind you can save your BIOS/Profiles included if you want to keep backups. Just install @BIOS and use it to export your BIOS, all included profiles will be also exported into the BIOS.

DO NOT USE @BIOS to flash with

Comment

Working...
                        X