GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX resets continually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX resets continually

I have a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX which I wish to run with 8 gig of G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM and an
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz

INitially I just used the "optimized defaults" settings.

Although initially the board booted normally, and I was able to install the OS, over the next few days it became unstable. First thought was memory, and I removed/switched banks and it ran for a few hours. (Down to 2gig x 2 = 4gig) Did a windows memory test on the installed bank and it passed 5 iterations. Problem recurred - at this point when cold it will boot once, and if rebooted will continually go thru the post tests, come to the bios banner/menu screen, and restart without actually trying to boot. At the Gigabyte banner/menu it ignores input and resets after the memory test.

I have a Soyo PCI test card, which indicates at least voltages on PCI bus are present, and has a hex post output display. I guess this is an award bios, some doc in the Soyo flyer - hard to read all the post output because it goes so fast, but I can see it does the initial cmos copy stuff c1-c3, etc, spends some time on the memory test 52, and then seems to stop at 88 before resetting. When it actually tries to boot shows FF.

Without even trying to increase performance, what can I do to get stable operation?

Thanks - greg martin.

Re: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX resets continually

So you tried each memory stick individually and they both passed? This is important.

If the card is anything like the little displays on some motherboards then this means that it POSTed succesfully and the problem is instabilty, most likely caused by bad RAM or the PSU (most likely). If you didn't try the RAM seperately do taht and if you did then try changing the PSU.

Can you be more clear on the cold boot issue? When can you get to actually boot into the windows memory test and when not?

Comment

No, I tested one pair, the one currently installed. I understand that on this board memory must be installed in pairs.

When the system is cold - that is, has been powered down for some time, it will come up to the banner/menu, and follow one selection - ie del to enter bios config, f12 to select boot device, and honor that selection.

If bios is selected, after setting bios it restarts, it goes to the banner, ignores input, and goes into a restart loop.

If instead of selecting bios f12 select boot device is selected, it will boot from that device and continue to function. When shut down/rebooted, it will go to banner, ignore input, and go into a reset loop.

Just did a memtest86+ pass and it completed it without errors. I note that the memory frequency and timing reported by memtest86+ were 533mhz, 5-7-7-20.

As I recall, the last bios settings were 1066mhz, 5-5-5-15. I had set memory voltage at 2.0. (Label on the chip sez 5-5-5-15, 2.0-2.1v)

Currently system is "coolinig off." Next I'll check the bios settings again - any reason memcheck+ should report different values? Then try starting with just one bank of memory and testing it.

Comment

Memory should be installed in pairs for optimal performance, but you can also just use one RAM stick. By doing so you can check whether one stick is defective which can cause the whole system not to fail to work properly.
        How long did you run memtest? One pass is not enough, even after a few hours of running there can still be errors.

I think your problem is the PSU though. What's the manufacturer of your PSU?

Also check all the power cables inside your case. One guy had a similar problem here where his system became usntable even though he did not change anything and the problem went away after he reconnected all the PSU cables.

Comment

1. removed and reseated PSU cables to mother board - no effect on reset loop.
          2. recalled the restart loop began after installing an additional drive (more power load)
          and tried removing power from the drive. no effect on reset loop.
          3. my psu is an ACE 580UB. A google returned at least one positive review.
          4. ran the windows test 4 passes on one pair w/no errors. ran memtest86+ 1 pass
          on same pair with no errors. ran memtest86+ 4 passes on the other pair w/no errors.

I've yet to test sticks individually, but will do so. Still, I would think thatseveral hours of testing on each pair with no errors would argue against memory failure as a cause of a continual reset loop - an error on every pass? Maybe an occasional reboot or system hang but not a loop. Note both these error free tests were with system default memory voltages of 1.86v versus Gskill recommended 2.0-2.1.

Comment

Hmm. What do I know?

Progress.

I increased the chip voltage to 2.0v, and slowed the timings down to what memtest86+ was reporting: 5-7-7-20.

Now there is no reset loop; it starts up and consistently goes to bios banner/menu, and recognizes input.

It has hung once when running OS (ignores mouse & keyboard input) so I may have further issues. Probably I have other settings to adjust, and maybe I shoul decrease the timing values to the point where the problem recurrs.

But at least I have a system that's beginning to work!

Comment

Good info. I missed the part about you using only 2.0V in your previous posts though, because this now sounds like a RAM issue. 2.0-2.1V means that the RAm may actually need 2.1V to run properly (but may run with 2.0V on siome boards or if you kot a good RAM kit). The fact that looser timings work better also points towards the voltage being the problem.
              If it works with 4GB and you put in 8GB then increase the voltage of the memory controller to 1.2V-1.3V. 8GB at 1066 is quite a strain for the controller so it usually needs more voltage.

Comment

okay - what parameter is memory ontroller voltage? MCH Core? Current value (from default optimized settings) is 1.26v.

Note - increased DRAM voltage to 2.08; timings to 5-5-5-15 and system does not have the reset loop problem.

Whether everthing is stable I guess I'll know over time.

Comment

MCH is your NB, with 4 or 8GB you are going to need to raise that as well. Dram Voltage is your ram voltage. MCH May need 1.24-1.26 for 4GB and maybe 1.26-1.3 or more for 8GB, it all depends on all other settings though.

Can you please link me to your ram or give me the model # and then I can best offer advice for 8GB setup.

So you have 8GB going now or not yet?

Comment

Here is the url for Newegg's Gskill memory that I have"
                    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

System currently is running with 8gig of memory.
                    Currently I raised the Dram voltage to 2.08v.
                    Timing 5-5-5-15.
                    All other settings as "optimized defaults"

Nickel020 suggested raising the memory controler voltage, but I do not see
                    this parameter: the closest acronym I could find was Mch, which you say
                    refers to the NB(North Bridge?).

System is currently booting properly - no reset loop.

This is to be a multi os system, with OSX, Vista, Redhat, and FreeBSD, primarily used as a DAW under OSX.

Occasionally it "locks up" or has a kernel panic under OSX.

Comment

Yes MCH is your memory controller. For 8GB you would need 1.24-1.34 depending on all other settings.

Mind posting me your full settings, and I will try to help you get these random issues solved. And please post a Screenshot of this program open so I may see what Auto is giving you for some of those values >>>
                      Tweakers.fr ~ Memset

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Code:
                      [b][u]MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)[/u][/b]
                      Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast
                      CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 
                      Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                      CPU Frequency ...........................: 

[b][u]Clock Chip Control [/u][/b]
                      [b][u]Standard Clock Control[/u][/b]
                      CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
                      CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
                      [B]PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100[/B]

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

[b][u]Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter][/u][/b]
                      CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                      PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                      CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 
                      MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 

[b][u]DRAM Performance Control[/u][/b][u][/u]
                      [B]Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD][/B]
                      Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                      (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                      System Memory Multiplier ..............: 
                      Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 
                      DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

[b]Standard Timing Control[/b]
                      CAS Latency Time........................
                      tRCD .........................................
                      tRP'...........................................
                      tRAS..........................................

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first.  Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

[b][u]Advanced Timing Control[/u][/b]
                      tRRD...........................................
                      tWTR..........................................
                      tWR............................................
                      tRFC...........................................
                      tRTP...........................................
                      Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

[u][b]Driving Strength Profiles[/b][/u][b][/b]
                      Driving Strength ............................

[b]Channel A[/b]
                      Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                       tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                      tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                       tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                       tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                      Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 
                      Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                      Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 
                      Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 
                      Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                      Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b]Channel B[/b]
                      Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                      Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                      Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

[b][U]Motherboard Voltage Control[/U][/b][U][/U]
                      Voltage Type.………... Manual
                      [b]CPU[/b]
                      CPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto if not overclocking, if you are overclocking please do find and set your own voltages

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much.  Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65.  Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly 

[b]MCH/ICH[/b]
                      MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 
                      MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
                      MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
                      ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
                      ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

[b]DRAM[/b]
                      DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 
                      DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                      Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                      Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

[b][U]Advanced Settings[/U][/b][U][/U]
                      Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                      No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                      CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                      C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                      x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                      CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                      CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                      Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC

[b][U]Integrated Peripherals[/U][/b][U][/U]
                      Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to flash from USB

Comment

Here are my current settings, mostly optimized defaults other than the dram voltage and mch voltage. I can't give you the memset output because currently I can't get a good vista install. It doesn't like the sata drives on the ich10r controller. I've tried Sata disabled and ahci, native mode enabled and disabled. Vista sees the disk but sez it can't find one that meets its criteria for a system volume. I had previously installed to the disk on the SATA2 controller, with ahci off and legacy mode. Moved it to the other controller (read that it was preferable on some thread here), and couldn't get vista to boot. Blew away the partition and partition table and tried to start over on that controller. No luck. Note - I've tried loading both the drivers from the distribution disk and the "pre-install" drivers from GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Driver - GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1)

OsX is happy with Ahci, native mode on or off.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                        Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto or Fast Auto
                        CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9x
                        Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0 not found
                        CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.40 (266x9)

Clock Chip Control
                        Standard Clock Control
                        CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
                        CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz 266
                        PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100 Auto

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                        CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                        PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                        CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<
                        MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<<

DRAM Performance Control
                        Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
                        Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled Auto
                        (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                        System Memory Multiplier ..............: Auto
                        Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066
                        DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual] Auto

Standard Timing Control
                        CAS Latency Time........................ 5
                        tRCD ......................................... 5
                        tRP'........................................... 5
                        tRAS.......................................... 15

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first. Then later you can lower, one
                        at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
                        tRRD........................................... 4 Auto
                        tWTR.......................................... 4 Auto
                        tWR............................................ 13 Auto
                        tRFC........................................... 68 Auto
                        tRTP........................................... 4 Auto

Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2 0 Auto

Driving Strength Profiles
                        Driving Strength ............................ not found

Channel A
                        Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH 6 Auto
                        Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps Auto
                        Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps Auto

Channel B
                        Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH 6 Auto
                        Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                        Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
                        Voltage Type.………... Manual Auto
                        CPU
                        CPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto if not overclocking, if you are 1.225
                        overclocking please do find and set your own voltages

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto
                        Auto overvolts this way to much. Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5
                        depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore. Auto is fine if not
                        overclocking

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto Auto
                        overvolts this way to much. Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65.
                        Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Auto
                        Will set this correctly

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will Auto
                        set this correctly

MCH/ICH
                        MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.26
                        MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave .76 Auto
                        MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave .9 Auto
                        ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave 1.5 Auto
                        ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave 1.1 Auto

DRAM
                        DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.1
                        DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave .9 Auto
                        Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave .9 Auto
                        Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave .9 Auto

Advanced Settings
                        Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                        No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                        CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled] Enabled
                        C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled] not found
                        x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled] not found
                        CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled] Disabled
                        CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled] Enabled
                        Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] Enabled if you use
                        Vmware/Virtual PC Disabled

Integrated Peripherals
                        Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled] *Note* Must be enabled to
                        flash from USB Enabled

-----------------

Thanks for your help! - Greg Martin.

Comment

Note - drivers were loaded during install when vista gives the volume selection option.

Comment

So did you get vista installed? For the Intel *Yellow* Controller you do not need any drivers unless you want to run RAID or AHCI, and Vista has a AHCI Driver included. So it sounds to me like you have some settings wrong in the BIOS.

These are what you should set for a NON AHCI or NON RAID System >>>

Integrated Peripherals

Intel *Yellow Ports*

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. Disabled
                            SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron *Purple Ports)
                            Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Disabled, Enabled if you have ANY IDE Ribbon cable Devices connected, or are using any SATA Drives additionally on these ports

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... IDE

What BIOS are you using? You may want to raise Static tRead Value for now to 7-8 until you get sorted, this may be a issue as well with 8GB

Comment

No, I can't seem to get Vista to accept a disk on the "yellow" controller.
                              An earlier install non ahci on ther purple controller worked, but wouldn't boot
                              when I moved it to yellow. I blew away that install and have been trying to
                              install on yellow with various setting, none working.

Comment

Working...
                              X