LLC Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLC Inquiry

Hey guys hopefully some1 can help me out here. When I disable LLC the annoying buzzing noise from the chokes was minimised dramatically but I BSOD after 2 passes of Intel Burn Test. With LLC enabled Im very stable. Would it be more beneficial to disable LLC (increase vcore to make it stable again) in my circumstance cause of the buzzing noise from the choke or just leave LLC enabled? Which I was told the buzzing noise is normal. Thanks

Specs E6750, XMS2 pc6400 (2x1gb), ep45 ud3r and tx-650w
    Specs:
    E6750 @ 3.8Ghz
    EP-45 Ud3R
    XMS2 PC6400 @ 950
    TX-650w

Re: LLC Inquiry

For dual cores I would disable LLC as it will often cause actual VCore to be lower in idle than in load which is not good.
    The cause why your CPU fails without LLC is that actual VCore differs quite abit from the BIOS setting when LLC is disabled (much more then so than with LLC on). Just watch your VCore during load with LLC on then watch it without LLC and increase it accordingly until you reach the same value. Use CPU-Z to watch the VCore.
    Don't worry about the larger difference between the BIOS setting and the real value shown by CPU-Z, it's perfectly normal.

Comment

Thanks mate much appreciate the help.
      Specs:
      E6750 @ 3.8Ghz
      EP-45 Ud3R
      XMS2 PC6400 @ 950
      TX-650w

Comment

You can probably make up for the loss of disabling LLC by upping the Vcore slightly. Unless you're using a huge increase already, it should be safe enough.

Comment

Here are the results:
          Sorta don't wanna go any higher with the voltages =), any recommendations please. Also Im trying to post my BIOS settings but it wont allow me to cause its saying that Im over 10000 characters?

Intel Burn Test
          LLC Enabled IDLE Load 70c
          BIOS 1.425 Pass 1.392 1.392
          LLC Disabled
          BIOS 1.43125 Fail BSOD 1.392 1.360
          BIOS 1.4372 Fail BSOD 1.392 1.376
          BIOS 1.44375 Fail 50% 1.392 1.376
          Specs:
          E6750 @ 3.8Ghz
          EP-45 Ud3R
          XMS2 PC6400 @ 950
          TX-650w

Comment

The Vdroop of most boards is more than 20mV, you'll need to go higher than 1.44 to get the same stability you achieve with LLC enabled at 1.425. Not using LLC will hurt your power consumption but there's not much I can suggest. I haven't experienced any noise with LLC enabled on either of my boards, could it be a defect?

Comment

Thanks guess ill bump my vcore a little more =(
              Specs:
              E6750 @ 3.8Ghz
              EP-45 Ud3R
              XMS2 PC6400 @ 950
              TX-650w

Comment

Yeah bump the Vcore a little more so you get 1.392V under load. You CPU is a 65nm model, there are actually CPUs that come with stock voltage 1.35V there (unlike 45nm where stock is ~1.25V at most). So 1.40 isn't all that much for the CPU.
                Remember that you can't compare a 65nm with a 45nm CPU. As a rule of thumb you can say that 65nm parts can take 0.1V more!

Comment

Yeah, my motherboard doesn't seem that prone to that, but my graphics cards do.

Comment

My stock voltage on my CPU is 1.325 (BIOS). Did you mean 1.35 in BIOS or CPU-Z?
                    Specs:
                    E6750 @ 3.8Ghz
                    EP-45 Ud3R
                    XMS2 PC6400 @ 950
                    TX-650w

Comment

The stock voltage varies from CPU to CPU even among the exact same voltage, some E6750s have VIDs below 1.3V, others have 1.325 like yours and some have them at 1.35V.

Comment

BIOS 1.45 BSOD CPU-Z IDLE 1.408 Load 1.376
                        Meh gonna just leave LLC enabled and bare with the buzzing noise.
                        Specs:
                        E6750 @ 3.8Ghz
                        EP-45 Ud3R
                        XMS2 PC6400 @ 950
                        TX-650w

Comment

Try 1.475. 3.8Ghz on an E6750 is quite high, and will require more than 1.376V under load.

Comment

Don't pay attention to what the BIOS says the VCore is, the only thing that matters is CPU-Z.
                            I would disable it and increase VCore until it's stable, but do whatever helps you sleep at night ;)

I'm off, have fun with your system!

Comment

Woot finally got it stable had to raise the voltage to 1.475 as suggested to get a load reading of 1.392Thanks again for the help
                              Idle temps are a little higher tho 1-2c (1.424v on idle) =(
                              Last edited by johnnyl168; 02-18-2009, 01:19 AM.
                              Specs:
                              E6750 @ 3.8Ghz
                              EP-45 Ud3R
                              XMS2 PC6400 @ 950
                              TX-650w

Comment

Working...
                              X