HELP! Brand new GA-EP45-DS3P won't boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Brand new GA-EP45-DS3P won't boot

....... PSU Blew. So I got a new one. More powerfull.

Old PSU 500w.

New 800w.

Mobo won't start (GA-EP45-DS3P).

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Re: HELP! Brand new GA-EP45-DS3P won't boot

More details please?
    Other components of set-up would be great. Any code beeps etc?
    Gaming rig:
    XP Sp3
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R bios F7a beta rev 1.0
    Q9550 GO OC'd 4ghz(471x8.5) with tuniq tower
    1 stick 2gigs G-Skill PI 8800s b/c this damn board won't run both sticks
    eVGA 8800Ultra Vanilla w/backplate--650core/1127mem/1654shader
    (1)500gig seagate 7200.10 main storage
    (2)320gig seagate 7200.10 sata extra storage
    lite on 20x dvd-burner sata
    corsair hx520 psu
    antec 900 case

Comment

Yes more details please, what brand is the PSU?

Are you sure all power conenctors are properly connected? Is the power on switch properly connected? What happen exactly, just nothing at all or do the fans spin up?

Has the PC run in that exact configuration (with the old PSU) rund fine before?

The old PSU might also have killed your RAM when it died which would cause this.

Comment

PSU is "Storm" 800W

Comment

Mobo has 8-pin for the CPU power... but the PSU only has a 4-pin

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
            Has the PC run in that exact configuration (with the old PSU) rund fine before?
            Yep. Exact same configuration. PC run with a 500w PSU for about a week, then the PSU blew, got anotherone (800w) the next day.

The CPU is a 2 Quad Core 9300

Comment

Originally posted by clo007 View Post
              Any code beeps etc?
              No beeps. Motherboad lights power button, CMOS button and Reset button.

Then I've got a red light on the ACPI LED

...that's about it.

Comment

Try just one ram stick at a time. 4 Pin on the motherboard is no problem.

What brand is the PSU (or is storm the brand?)? Sounds like a no name PSU to me, and those are often an issue, and never live up to their ridiculous wattage claims. Many can not even produce stable voltages at a fracture of their claimed voltages.

Comment

Try just one ram stick at a time. 4 Pin on the motherboard is no problem.
                  Done that. Same. No change.

What brand is the PSU (or is storm the brand?)? Sounds like a no name PSU to me, and those are often an issue, and never live up to their ridiculous wattage claims. Many can not even produce stable voltages at a fracture of their claimed voltages.
                  LOL! Yeah, "Storm" is supposed to be the brand. Can't even find anyhting about it on the net either... so you're right "no name PSU".

So... if its an 800 or not I don't care at this point, I just want to figure out if the motherboard fried, or worst the CPU, or what!

Comment

What about EZ cool, is that better?

Comment

Never heard of it, not a good sign.

Good brands are (from the top of my head, among others): Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Be Quiet!.

If you're not using SLI or Crossfire and no Dual GPU video card then this one is good:
                      Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Comment

Never heard of it, not a good sign.

Good brands are (from the top of my head, among others): Corsair, Enermax, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Be Quiet!.

If you're not using SLI or Crossfire and no Dual GPU video card then this one is good:
                        Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
                        I hear you...

Thing is, I don't see the point of getting yet another PSU if the motherbee, is RIP.

My problem is almost exactly the same as this guy's (that I'm reading from another forum...)
                        ... he says...:

"new Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P

The power switch, the CMOS reset switch and the reset switch, on the motherboard itself, all had their LED's shining. There are a number of diagnostic leds on the motherboard, and the ACPI LED for S4/5 was burning red.
                        Then I pushed the power switch at the front of the case. The case fans started to turn, for 1-2 sec, the red ACPI led for S4/5 disappeared, the ACPI Led for S0 became green for 1-2sec, the 1st of the phase LED's also became green for 1-2 seconds, the fan in the power supply turned for 1-2sec, the fan on the video card turned for 1-2sec. And then everything stopped again.

I first checked the 24pin main connector and the 8pin 12V connector, reseated them, and tried again. The result was the same, everything turns for 1-2sec, and then all stops.

I then checked if I had connected the power switch cable, HDD led cable, ..etc properly, reseated it all, and tried again. No luck. After 1-2sec everything stops.
                        I then removed all these cables and used the power switch that is directly on the motherboard. Again, after 1-2sec it all stops.

I now decided to disconnect the dvd devices, and tried again. No luck.
                        I then disconnected all HDD's. and tried again. No difference.
                        I reseated the memory sticks and tried again. No difference. I then tried with one stick, then the other stick, then switched the sticks. All the same: after 1-2secs it all stops.

I removed the video card and tried. No luck. The same result again.
                        The same for the keyboard, the mouse.
                        I also checked that at the backpanel nothing was sticking into any of the ports.

I tried resetting the cmos, but it made no difference."

That pretty much sums up what I did too.

Comment

Well the problem is that you won't know whether it is the PSU, the RAM or the mainboard itself unless you exchange every part with one that you know to work. The problem could be caused by any of these three, and a no name PSU is the most likely cause.

Comment

Originally posted by nobugsonme View Post
                            Mobo has 8-pin for the CPU power... but the PSU only has a 4-pin
                            The PSU 4-pin connector MUST be inserted correctly into the mobo's 8-pin socket. My N650SLI-DS4 did the same thing when I didn't connect the 4-pin PSU wires to the mobo.

It's possible that your mobo is improperly grounded to your case. With a new mobo, I always place the mobo on top of a box next to the computer case. This elimates the possiblility of a short circuit if there is a problem with the mobo's installation.

You should verify that the 4-pin PSU connector has voltage, yellow = positive and black = netative. Pages 22 & 23 in the mobo user manual deal with the ATX_12V hookup.

The last sentence in the 1st paragraph on page 23 says "If the 12V power connector is not connected, the computer will not start."
                            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                            X