X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram question for GA-MA790X-DS4

I am thinking about buying a ram upgrade and i was stuck between

going 1066 or 800

the question is I know my board supports 1066 but reading the info on the motherboard GA-MA790X-DS4 It seems that memory is fairly limited
    Currently i am looking at

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
    Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231184
    OR
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
    Retail
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I just don't want to purchase ram and find out i have to use the ram clocked lower when i could of bought the lower clocked ram for less.

Re: Ram question for GA-MA790X-DS4

Hi,

I run the same board and the faster RAM option only becomes available after you've fitted a chip that supports it, eg Phenom..

Comment

Originally posted by Doodleman View Post
      Hi,

I run the same board and the faster RAM option only becomes available after you've fitted a chip that supports it, eg Phenom..
      ok that's what i wanted to hear,

Currently running a phenom 9950 be
      also with the ram i am ordering a northbridge cooler , the person that emailed me from gigabyte said that 80c is fine but sheesh that's enough to cook food with

Comment

Hi,

if your board is anything like mine then it's a bogus temp!

Check your bios and see what the temp says for board or motherboard.

That is the real temp.
        If I use something like speedfan or 'Sandra', they report a temp of 81c. I thought 'my god, that can't be right'. So after using a temp probe I couldn't find anything on my board running at 81c. So I e-mailed gigabyte and they asked what the bios temp was as that is the actual temperature.

You'll find Easytune will also report the correct temp as will 'Everest'.

Hope thats stopped the worrying...:)

Sorry forgot to mention that my bios reports a board temp of 35c (as does Everst ect)
        Last edited by Doodleman; 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM. Reason: Additional

Comment

You can see in the other thread i 've opened, i am using a XP2-8500 2x2GB (996599) Kit from Mushkin...Due to the fact that my cpu is an Athlon X2, the speed is default 800 ( no option 1066 in bios ) but i run it oc'ed, so i'm at the desired 1066MHz speed....You shouldn't have any issues with that ram...

...but carefully with the voltage you set in Bios...my board overvolts about 0.8V the Ram, and according to Gigabyte Tech Support it is within limits...so be carefull with the setting u use, as you might wanna give e.g. 2.1V and have 2.18-2.19V in the end....
          Use the trial and error method to have the desired voltage in order not to fry anything...and maybe you can set them 1066MHz with lower than spec voltage (who knows, you may have some special sticks by luck...)

Comment

Working...
          X