Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3R can't post with 4x2Gb of RAM

Hi People,

I'm having issues with my recently purchased EP45-UD3R rev 1.0 board. The basic symptoms are that when I insert RAM into all 4 slots the system won't boot. In fact during the initial (system check) phase of the boot, before the monitor has been sent a signal the board just beeps 20(ish) times, restarts, beeps 20 times again, restarts, and so on. The board works fine with just 1 or 2 sticks of RAM in use (in the yellow channel).

I have been troubleshooting this issue with the ram manufacturer (OCZ) for close to a week now and they have finally given up on me as there's nothing that they can see wrong with the setup. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I have first tried this with the initial bios (R3) and the again with the latest one (R6) and the bios upgrade doesn't appear to have changed anything. I have tried using the default bios settings and when that didn't work I have set:
    • RAM frequency (MCH Frequency Latch) to 266
    • System Memory Multiplier to 3.00A
    • DRAM Voltage to 2.0V

As mentioned before these changes were instructed by the OCZ technicians, however they didn't resolve the problem.

Do you have any ideas of what else I could try? The memory I'm using is OCZ PC2 6400 Titanium Edition (OCZ2T800C44GK) and all 4 modules are identical. The memory timings are 4-4-4-15 and the motherboard recognises these by default (hence I've left that part of the bios setup on Auto).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: EP45-UD3R can't post with 4x2Gb of RAM

I think you are going to need a bit more MCH voltage and perhaps a bit more DRAM for 8 gb. If LSD was here he could get you up and running in no time but he has been very busy. Look around here, I'm sure that you can find some settings help.

Comment

I'm currently running 4x2gb of Newegg.com - OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I had troubles too trying to run all 4 sticks.One thing that REALLY helped out was setting tRFC to 54 or higher.That let me run all 4 sticks at
      471 fsb with 1.8v with 5-5-5-15.
      Q9550 EO 4.0ghz 475x8.5 1.325v LLC on
      Gigabyte EP45-UD3P f9c OCZ Vendetta2 w/bolt kit
      4x2gb OCZ PC2 8500 5-6-6-18 1.9v @950mhz
      Asus 4870 512 Scythe Musashi
      Ocz Gamextream 600w
      2x300gb Velociraptors RAID0
      CoolerMaster Stacker 830
      Dynex 32" HDTV on HDMI
      Vista Premium 64-bit

Comment

Ok I've tried everything you guys suggested (and then some) and while I think I'm close to cracking this one I need some more guidance.

The revelation from todays tinkering is that I can now run 3 sticks of ram (i.e. 6Gb total) with the following settings:
        • (All the changes from the first post, plus)
        • Performance Enhance - Standard (default Turbo)
        • Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) - Disabled (not sure if this was the default)
        • DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) - Manually set to 4-4-4-15
        • Advanced Timing Control - All Auto except tRFC set to 54
        • MCH Core - 1.4 (default 1.1)
        • MCH/DRAM Reference - 1.00V (default 0.75V)
        • DRAM Termination - 1.0 (default 0.9)
        • Channel A Reference - 1.0 (default 0.9)
        • Channel B Reference - 1.0 (default 0.9)

Other things I've tried that made no difference (in trying to get the 4th stick to post):
        • Increasing DRAM voltage to 2.2 (the rest of the RAM related voltages changed automatically to half this value, i.e. 1.1)
        • MCH Core - 1.5V
        • System Memory Multiplier - reduced to 2.5A, i.e. running RAM at 667MHz
        • DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) - Tried going as high as 6-6-6-18

From my progress today I believe that I am close, as until today I was unable to run with three stick, but I feel that there is a particular voltage setting that I have not tried tweaking. This is why I need your help, everything I've tried so far points in the direction of the voltage being the problem, i.e. not enough juice to run all for sticks. So, what am I missing?

Thanks for your continued support!

Comment

Working...
        X