GA-EP45T UD3P freeze problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-EP45T UD3P freeze problem

The MCH is allowed to get very hot. The MCH on my old P35 Ds3 ran at over 90C and I had no problems.
    What Voltage is the RAM supposed to run at? Is the voltage set correctly? Have you checked the RAM timings?
    Also try to increase the MCH Voltage to 1.24V or even 1.3V and see if that helps.

Comment

Comment

When two sticks are isntalled did you isntall them in same color slots?

Try both sticks seperately to find out if one is bad, if you always removed the same one then the other one may be bad.

Run Prime 95 to test the RAM.

Comment

Thanks, but all those things done yet... Now, in a week, 2 freezing issues with one stick only...

Comment

If you still get freezes with one stick no matter which one you use this is likely a settings issue or something is wrong with your motherboard or PSU. Maybe the heatsink on your northbridge is not properly seated causing it to overheat. This would also explain why 1 stick works better than 2 but still isn't stable (2 sticks = hotter NB).
            Last edited by Nickel020; 02-16-2009, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Comment

This means that the MCH could very well be overheating due to it making very bad contact with the cooler (less voltage = less heat = more stable). Try touching the heatsink and if it feels too hot instantly then this is probably the problem.

Even though it getting very hot is usually no problem it could be for yours since every chip is different.

Comment

Comment

The fact that decreasing the MCH Core voltage points very much to this being a mainbaord problem, but ti must be something other than heat then. DO try the RAM though to be sure. If you cang et other RAM though do that, those two Kingston sets might be totally the same except that their default speed programmed into the SPD varies.

Comment

I've had the same freeze problem with GA-EP45T-UD3P + Intel Q9550 (E0) + 2x2GB
                      Kingston Value RAM DDR3 1333MHz @9-9-9-24 @1.5V + nVidia 8800GT (later changed to 9600GT) + PSU CoolerMaster 850W.
                      I've changed almost everything but the freezes continued. Had to RMA the board
                      but it was returned with 'No Problems Found". The funny thing is that I was not even overclocking the board. Was running memtest for 20 passes OK, prime95 for 3 hours OK but these freezes continued!!!
                      So I started tweaking the BIOS (v. F5) and finally have my board stable for 2 weeks.
                      Here are the changes:
                      Performance level: Standard
                      PCI frequency: 100MHz (because some times after freeze the screen is scrambled)
                      MCH voltage: 1.20V (to make sure 2 sticks have enough power - auto makes it 1.10V)
                      DDR3 voltage: 1.5V (auto makes it 1.765V)
                      Rest settings left to auto.

Maybe it was not a simple issue and I suspect that "Turbo" performance level
                      was in fact the culprit, so it was not running properly with such cheap RAM.
                      GA-X48T-DQ6 [rev: 1.3], Bios F6e (replacement of GA-EP45T-UD3P [rev: 1.0])
                      Q9550 (E0), Zalman CNPS9500 Cooler
                      2x2GB Kingston HyperX [KHX13000D3LLK2/2G] 1.7V DDR3-1333 @7-7-7-20
                      Gainward Bliss 8800GT, 2x1TB HDD Samsung SATA-2, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W PSU

Comment

@Comers
                        Prime 95 didn't fail anymore in the past 2 weeks? How long did you run it for?

And yes bulboso, try setting performance enhance to standard. It doesn't really make much sense for the RAM timings to be the problem if one stick works better than two, but trying doesn't hurt :) Try with both RAM sticks since this did result in instability faster before.
                        Last edited by Nickel020; 02-17-2009, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Comers, I have the same system, except the VGA... Of course, the first thing I did was set to standard.
                          And yes, the alternative RAM modules I got, looks they are the same except the SPD program, but its my only chance. Well, and the memory chips (quimonda ones, and nanya others...)
                          I have the feeling that changing the sticks, problems fixed, but wanna take a second chance to the first pair of modules...
                          By now, at 1,05 volt, system stable.

Comment

@Nickel020
                            I ran it for 6 hours - no errors.
                            Also I use to leave it for cce encodes (normally 6-7 hours by night)
                            for the last 10 days and got no problems with the files afterwards.
                            When I have more time will try full 24h run.
                            @Bulboso
                            Here are some other things --
                            I'm running WinXP SP3 and had another problem before - SPTD 1.56 conflict with latest nVidia drivers (181.22). Actually I've never seen memtest to fail, but while freezes happened prime95 used to fail after about 1-2 hours. Now it's OK.
                            And also don't connect cd-dvd burner to SATA ports 0-3 (nevermind if you use that setting in the BIOS).
                            But at the end I suppose the DDR3 RAM is always the problem. Had similar issue with my older board GA-X48T-DQ6 with Kingston HyperX Low Latency RAM 7-7-7-22 @ 1.9V.
                            Shortly it refused to work properly until I set all memory timings manually starting from 9-9-9-27, to 8-8-8-24 and finally to 7-7-7-22/20 with no cold boot problems and no freezes. Only then the overclock was stable.
                            Gainward Bliss 8800GT, 2x1TB HDD Samsung SATA-2, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 850W PSU

Comment

Comers advice should be the most relevant.
                              I have no experience of ddr3 ram on this mb(except on graphics card).
                              I have a ud3 type and my processor is similar but "settings ive found good "would probably be of little use to u.
                              You can i think use ddr2 on the T,just not both types together ?.Not sure, but if u have some old ddr2 6400 or similar,try that out perhaps.
                              ddr3 mem voltages arre totally different to ddr2,so i dont know how much mch voltages etc should be adjusted,but comers replies seem to be the most usefull.
                              Im not sure if its usefull/works properly with ddr3 or not but the "memset" utility thats linked in the moderator sticky posts is very usefull on ddr2 on the ud3 mbrds.
                              I can hit maximum overclock for me on either standard or turbo,enhanced wont load.
                              Perhaps check to see what memory timings the mbrd applies to the one stick of memory that u can actually load into windows with,using memset and then enter those settings in bios manually for 2 sticks once you see exactly what they are?
                              I personally dont like easytune(if you are using that).
                              Any GiG motherboard ive tried it with didnt seem happy,but hey Im not an expert :)
                              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

@kick
                                You Cannot use DDR2 on all T boards. I guess T acually stands for "Three" as in DDR3.
                                There are 4 banks with notch that will fit only DDR3 RAM modules.

Comment

Working...
                                X