Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista x64 IDE/SATA question

Hello,

I recently loaded Vistax64 into my machine with a new mother board (EP45-UD3P rev. 1.0) and am not entirely sure how to set the IDE/SATA configuration. I have a Samsung Spinpoint 250 gig SATA 3G NCQ hard drive and a NEC ND-3550A DVD/+RW IDE drive. I had the Samsung plugged into the SATA port on the motherboard in the 1 position, but the NEC is plugged into the IDE (obviously), however the default setting in BIOS is that SATA is to be used as IDE. I noted that you can change the setting to read IDE as IDE and SATA as RAID or the other option which I cannot recall. I had it set read IDE and SATA as IDE. Once I loaded Vista, (had no problems loading the Vista cd to install) the system would lock up when right clicking on my DVD drive in My Computer, and would only read cds when it felt like it. I would insert a DVD and it would not read it... it would act like there was nothing in the drive. When it would read, it would attempt to install a program and then lock up. When I double-clicked the DVD-RW drive in My Computer it would lock up and I would end up having to power off manually.

Very frustrated, I switched the SATA port my HDD was plugged into into the position 0 and then reconfigured BIOS to read IDE as IDE and SATA as RAID. The system loaded up and I am able to read DVDs... for now. What did I do wrong and will I have to reload Vista again?

Please help.

P.S. I noticed that the NEC DVD drive is listed four or 5 steps down on the list of drives. The HDD is listed first. I don't know if this is significant, given that the DVD drive is plugged into the only IDE port available for it.

I only have one hard drive and the optical drive. Was my issue caused by having the HDD set to the wrong SATA port, or that it was set to read as IDE? I realize I do not need RAID now because I only have one hdd... what settings should I set it to? I do not mind reloading Vista as there is nothing on there I'm worried about losing.
    Last edited by Abbajabba82; 02-05-2009, 11:00 AM.

Re: Vista x64 IDE/SATA question

Hi there, I dont think your IDE DVD Drive issues had anything to do with the port or the settings of you SATA drive. If Possible your SATA Drive should be set us to be in AHCI Mode. Definatly not RAID. I wouldnt have thought it would work in RAID but there you go. If you do have the AHCI mode you may i think need to reinstall bindows once you change it as I change my mb from IDE to AHCI Last night and vista would not load. But I dont know. It was being wiered for me but I have a SATA DVD Drive to so maybe it was having something to do with it. Anyway You should have your HDD In SATA 0 its the best place for it to be, and your IDE DVD will show up on the list in BIOS way down cause all the ones above it are the SATA ports that are unused. Umm yeah, see if you have anything that says AHCI on it and also make sure you have something like IDE Native mode or some such enabled. I think this is all what you need to get the best out of your drive.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

I had the same issue. I did following and fixed my issue.

Option 2
      1. Go to "device manager"
      2. Expand the "storage controllers" node
      3. Right click on "Gigabyte Controller" device and select "update driver software"
      4. Select "browse my computer for driver software"
      5. Select "let me pick from a list..."
      6. Select "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller"
      7. Commit the changes and restart your Vista

I hope this helps..

Comment

Yeah Infact Scratch the AHCI Just use IDE with Native mode enabled, it works good.
        Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
        Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
        Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
        Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
        Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
        G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
        2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
        Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
        2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
        Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
        Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
        Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
        ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
        Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
        Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
        Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
        NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
        1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
        Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Comment

Working...
        X