Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When and how is hotswap supposed to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When and how is hotswap supposed to work?

I have just built a sysem with the EP45-UD3P mobo, Q6600, 8G, 2xIDE and 4xsata-III drives and a Sony Optiarc DVD. I managed to get the latest version of the Intel MSM installed on my XP SP2 system [one of my boot disks] that I managed to get running on this new system. I also have 2 mobile hotswap trays that I want to be able to use for hotswapping sata drives that will be used for backups. I do not have any RAID configured and I have enabled AHCI on both sata controllers in the BIOS.

My question is this - "How and when is hotswap SUPPOSED to work"???

I get various stories and results. I fully expected the MSM utility to offer the hotswapping but the only feature I get out of that program is the offer to light up an LED for the drive. Not sure how much more useless it or Intel tech support could actually be. Does not even tell me which drive letters map to which sata ports. None of the drives show in the "Safely Remove Hardware" application which does not even show until I load it with rundll. Device Manager is no help either as there is no remove option.

On an aside, my Vista system w/ an MSI mobo and nVidia chips and no AHCI installed, "Safely Remove Hardware" will show the sata drives, and I can "remove" them, but scanning for new devices will not recognize the new drive that I swap into the tray. Says that it has been removed and I should unplug it even though I have ejected it from the hotswap tray.

After doing lots of Googling, almost ALL hotswap problems are either 1) folks that have sata drives show up as removable in "Safely Remove Hardware" and don't want them to or 2) folks that have sata drives they WANT to remove that don't show up. I'm lucky enough to have both situations...

On both my new Gigabyte XP system and the old MSI Vista system I have had the best luck with a utility called Hotswap! that sometimes works but normally I have to close several handles that a system process, PID 4, has open and only after there are no more handles open on the drive, can I hotswap the drive which makes some sense but seems the system would close the handles if I said I wanted to remove it and am not sure why they are open in the first place since I have turned off indexing, recovery and trash on the drives I want to swap yet several handles are still eventually opened though not right away on Vista. Xp behaves a bit different though have not studied it's behaviour much yet.

Myths? I have been told you cannot use molex conenctors for sata power yet my mobile SATA hotswap trays came with molex-sata power converters and they work fine with Hotswap! when it works. I have been told that only eSATA supports hotswapping yet the eSata cables ultimately plug into the same ports on the mobo and the drive as regular Sata and as far as I can tell are only different in length and shielding. I've not yet tried fooling with the sSata bracket that came with my mobo,

I really, really want to use these mobile trays as they are really handy to do daily/weekly backups onto, then swap and move the drive "off site" so as to not have all my eggs in one basket so to speak. And I have some other uses in mind. But I want to do this in a reliable and predictable and official manner as i'm tired of having to close handles on the drives or on XP sometimes waiting or doing new hardware device scans where all of a sudden I can remove them where a bit before I could not.

So how and when is sata hotswapping supposed to work? I'm thinking about actually uninstalling the Intel MSM as totally useless without any RAID, as well as the fact that now, though I've not tested this yet very well, it seems that sometimes since switching to AHCI mode and installing MSM, I get very long lag times sometimes when opening folders on XP. For instance, I'll see there are maybe 13 "objects" when I open certain folders but it will be several seconds before the "objects" or files actually show in Explorer. Perhaps unrelated but it sure seems this started as soon as I switched to AHCI and installed the Intel drivers.

With all the hype from Intel on how the ICH10R chipset supports AHCI which should be faster and support what they call "hot plug" there sure is a lot of confusion, at least to me, on this whole technology in terms of reliability and performance. And they certainly could have made it a lot easier to switch to AHCI on an existing system which was almost as painful as getting XP to run on a new mobo. And as far as hotswap, after opening a support incident using their website, they just told me to go see my system provider or mobo manufacturer.

So am hoping someone that understands the ins and outs of hotswapping sata drives, without using RAID, can enlighten me Thanks! Dave

Re: When and how is hotswap supposed to work?

A bit more information...I moved the 2 sata drives that were in my mobile trays to the GSATA connector and they hotswap just fine there with the Safely Remove Hardware app. No eSata connectors and am using Molex->sata power adapters. So some small outfit like JMicron is able to do hotswap just fine and Intel can't get their act together. Intel is arrogant as their support totally dissed this issue just like the time I tried to tell them their 1G LAN adapter was corrupting data copying from XP to Vista. They would not take a problem report then either as they said there was no way their adapter could corrupt data in spite of the fact I had checksummed both sides with different results 1/5 times so I just threw their adapter in the trash and used a Netgear adapter that work perfectly. Did not matter to support that I actually used to work for Intel and had even gotten an award for my work on Ethernet from Andy Grove and Gordon Moore. Arrogant! One issue regarding using the GSATA controller is that for some reason the IDE drives show up as SCSI drives. Probably because of this issue - GA-EP45-UD3P SCSI/SATA question - Solved - PC Perspective Forums so I guess I will fool with that some more. Would still appreciate any other input on hotswapping. Heck, if the Intel driver acutally worked, I guess I'd be asking how to turn OFF the hotswapping for the 2 drives I DON'T want to hotswap...Dave

Comment

Darn, latest results are when I "remove" both drives via the "Safely Remove Hardware" app, eject them which I must before they can be found again, and then re-insert them, I only get one of the two found. And if I re-insert the one that did not show, it replaces the other which then goes away. Maybe I just got it in an odd state because I inserted both at once basically. Sigh...

Comment

DOes anyone actuallly use Hotswap drives???

Comment

Originally posted by codeslinger View Post
          DOes anyone actuallly use Hotswap drives???
          I use it and I like it a lot.
          A friend have E-sata so we use a ordinary intern Sata HD then we share files and stuff. Just plug&play whitout reboot windows.

And if I upgrade bios I have a small FAT32 partion there I put the bios and upgrade from E-sata.

Comment

Are you running off the Intel or Gigabyte/jMicron chipset? Presumably you use the "Safely Remove Hardware" app to stop the drive before you swap it? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by codeslinger View Post
              Are you running off the Intel or Gigabyte/jMicron chipset? Presumably you use the "Safely Remove Hardware" app to stop the drive before you swap it? Thanks.
              I am using hotswap a lot, 400GB transfer minimum between computer and external emulator at every 12 hours in the past eleven months without any glitch.
              Running Intel Raid0 (same effect of AHCI), no HD appearing at Safely Remove Hardware icon so, just plug & play.

No need to stop anything, HOWEVER do not enable in Device Manager neither Advanced Performance Policy and Enable Write Caching on that swappable HD!
              GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
              i5-4690K + Corsair H90
              Sapphire Radeon R7 240
              16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
              Corsair CX750M
              Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

Sharkoon VS-3V tower

Comment

Interesting since on my Vista system, with an MSI mobo and nVidia controller, if I just swapped the drives, even "Optimized for Quick Removal" set, I got disk corruption quickly. Don't think nVidia ever got their driver running well though and always used a combination of the Hotswap! utility and closing handles till I could get the drive to remove. Maybe I should try there again since a lot of updates have been added since I had the issue. On the Gigabyte, I'm just proofing the hardware with XP SP2 right now and will shortly hopefully be running 2008 Server and Hyper-V on this machine. Likely a whole new set of issues though :) Thanks!

Comment

I installed vista 64 before i realized that AHCI has to be enabled on my new EP45-UD3P, so hotswapping doesnt yet work. I guess I need to reinstall.

Right now the system seems fine with 2 sata drive in intel ports 0 and 1 and a dvd player in jmicron port 0.

Trouble is, I cant even get the system to boot past the initial splash screen if either of my eSata ports has a live drive on it (they are plugged into Intel ports 4, 5) via the supplied rear-panel eSATA bracket. I'm trying with self-powered VANTEC NST-360SU-BL eSATA& USB 2.0 External Enclosures. NB...the drives themselves are fine as everything is kosher if I connect them via USB.

SO, what am i overlooking? what changes need i make to the default BIOS to make 1) esata drives work at all and 2) to make them hotswappable

right now the intel ports are set to disabled/disabled and the jmicron ports to enabled/IDE

or, should i change the ports that everything is plugged into?

finally, does this get any easier in Windows 7? some have made the argument that i should punt on vista 64 and just go with the win 7 beta

best,
                  jh

Comment

JustHanginIn, I have only tested with XP so far but can hotswap the Sata drives on the jMicron ports just fine as they show up in the "SRH" icon without AHCI being enabled as well as when it is enabled. Seems like jMicron has better drivers in that sense than Intel even if they for some reason think these are scsi drives and controller. I have not tried just swapping them as svcglobal suggests but may try that soon as well. Are you suggesting that you need to have AHCI enabled on Vista in order to hotswap? Could be! That is part of what I'm trying to figure out as well. I did just see that Device Manager shows where I can turn off caching but the part about setting for quick removal is grayed out on the Intel and jMicron supported drives! Dave

Comment

FWIW, Intel support finally wrote back and said if AHCI is enabled in the BIOS and supported by the drivers and OS, then the drives controlled by the ICH controller will NOT show in the SRH list and can just be hotswapped at anytime. Nice to know from Intel's view how they are SUPPOSED to work even if I think actually a better UI would be if they DID show in the SRH list and you had to stop them before swapping as that way you would make sure no one was in the middle of using them. Dave

Comment

codeslinger,

im trying to piece this all together myself. from what ive read around the board it does seem that AHCI must be enabled to hotswap in Vista 64 (and I would have thought in XP too). Right now, i cant hotswap, coldswap, or in any way detect external drives over esata. i get no SRH icon, i cant see the drives in explorer...nothing. over usb all is normal.

I was hoping some experienced guy could lay out what one does to make this work from start to finish, which non vista drivers are needed, when to install them, etc.

Also, I was wondering if this all gets a lot easier in Win 7

jh
                        Last edited by justhangin; 02-03-2009, 03:16 AM.

Comment

WOW SATA III were have I been?????
                          Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
                          Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
                          Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
                          Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
                          Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
                          G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
                          2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
                          Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
                          2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
                          Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
                          Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
                          ------------------------------------------------
                          Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
                          Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
                          ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
                          Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
                          Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
                          Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
                          NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
                          1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
                          Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
                          Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
                          ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                          X