GA EX58-DS4 random shutdowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA EX58-DS4 random shutdowns

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5Cmlenoch%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cms ohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-GB;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:Arial; mso-ascii-font-family:Arial; mso-hansi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi,<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I have a problem with my GIGABYTE GA EX58-DS4 machine. It randomly shuts down and the machine reboots. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes and it goes down again, sometimes it stays up for 4 hours. Typically after crash the next is in a shorter timeframe if not left switched off for a while. Seems not to be dependent on activity run 2 hours on Prime with 100% CPU load no problem, CPU temp ok and then it falls being idle. Memtest found no memory issue, it also crashes with the same randomness in memtest too, so have not been able to run 24h in 1 row but completed 2 full passes in 2 hours. Tried running with different graphics card and even different power supply unit. I have the machine for a month, started happing 10 days ago. Never happened before even though machine was running 24hours / day. So my conclusion is that it must be motherboard. No OC, running at default. Any hints how to confirm / or prove false this? Going to RMA through the local dealer. Any hints what to do before going this way? Thanks<o:p></o:p>
    CPU Intel Core i7-920 BOX (2.66GHz, 1333MHz) <o:p></o:p>
    MB Gigabyte EX58-DS4 Sc 1366 Intel X58, Ultra Durable 3 <o:p></o:p>
    HDD Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS - 300GB, SATA2, NCQ <o:p></o:p>
    RAM Kingston 3x2GB DDR3 PC1333 KVR1333D3N9K3/6G CL9 <o:p></o:p>
    VGA EVGA e-GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 1.000 - skladem <o:p></o:p>
    CASE COOLERMASTER Elite 330 black RC-330-KKN1-GP <o:p></o:p>
    PC POWER (by OCZ) 610W, EPS Silencer SLI, aktivnim PFC<o:p></o:p>

Re: GA EX58-DS4 random shutdowns

Hi,

I would be really happy for hints what to try next. Here's update:
    got a mobo to try - Gigabyte EX58 UD3R and random shutdowns continue -> so it is not bad mobo
    got different RAMS - Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 (3x2GB 1600MHz) and random shutdowns continue -> it's not the memories
    (I tried different Power Supply and Graphics card before and no change)

The last piece is CPU, can it be that??? (At the store they say they doubt it). My BIOS is F3, and I am scared to change that. Can it be that?

I'm really frustrated, so any help appreciated. Thanks a 1M.

Comment

Hi,

I have a similar problem but it works fine if i shut of the function in bios to overclock and keep it fixed at the 20x multiplyer then it is stable.

I have the GA-EX58-UD5 so it might not be the same ?

Hope it works for you too.

Comment

Thanks Lars,

unfortunately, I have no overclock at all. And still the screen goes randomly black and then into reboot?

Any chance that the auto memory settings are wrongly set by BIOS? Or shall I try another CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by mlhos View Post
          Thanks Lars,

unfortunately, I have no overclock at all. And still the screen goes randomly black and then into reboot?

Any chance that the auto memory settings are wrongly set by BIOS? Or shall I try another CPU?
          By default at least the UD5 will try to overcklock from the default 20 multiplyer to 21 if needed, so check in the bios for any options you can turn off regarding this.

Comment

Well, that sounds interesting. Bios CPU Clock Ratio says 20x. CPU-Z app. says 21. I would trust more bios than an app. Anything else in Bios that could do +1?

Comment

anything suspicious here?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mlhos View Post
                Well, that sounds interesting. Bios CPU Clock Ratio says 20x. CPU-Z app. says 21. I would trust more bios than an app. Anything else in Bios that could do +1?

Yes in the
                Advanced CPU Features [Press Enter]
                Change
                Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech to [Disabled]

And it will stay on 20

Comment

Thanks Lars,

will try when I get home.

One more thing. I noticed that the Core Voltage in CPU-Z was fluctuating from 1.05 to 1.28 which seems really a lot. Could that mean something or this is unreliable info? Sure, I started to wonder about PSU again but I was also running with a different piece even different model and manufacturer... Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Comment

Problem seems to be solved [knock on wood]. Got another CPU and the machine is rock solid.

After spending so much time figuring out what it could be I eventually could not resist and tried to to OC the new baby and it runs happily on 21 x 180 = 3,78 GHz. As long as it stays stable and solid, I am a happy man :-)

So no PSU, no mobo but bad CPU. Everybody mentioned that as the last option. Anybody come accross i7 920 unstable at default clocks? (actually at 21 x 133 = 2,8GHZ but still)...

Thanks Lars for your hints and everybody who contributes to this great forum. It's really useful!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X