Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R power issue. Need help!

Hey all -

Finished building my new rig last night, and when I went to power it on, the following things happened:

- Machine appeared to power on normally at first, but didn't POST/no signal to the monitor
    - After a second or two, got a continuous series of short beeps (manual says this is a power issue, but doesn't offer further troubleshooting steps)
    - DVD tray randomly popped open
    - Machine stayed on for about 10 seconds, then shut off
    - Machine stayed off for 2-3 seconds, then started back up
    - Cycle repeated

I tested the rig with all components removed except the CPU - same problem. I also tested the PSU on my old mobo and it booted fine, so I think the problem's isolated to the new motherboard.

Anything I should try before I RMA it?

Other relevant stats:

PSU: Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
    Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) x 2 (4 GB)
    Vid: EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks a million in advance!

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R power issue. Need help!

Originally posted by strunkandwhite View Post
    Hey all -

Finished building my new rig last night, and when I went to power it on, the following things happened:

- Machine appeared to power on normally at first, but didn't POST/no signal to the monitor
    - After a second or two, got a continuous series of short beeps (manual says this is a power issue, but doesn't offer further troubleshooting steps)
    - DVD tray randomly popped open
    - Machine stayed on for about 10 seconds, then shut off
    - Machine stayed off for 2-3 seconds, then started back up
    - Cycle repeated

I tested the rig with all components removed except the CPU - same problem. I also tested the PSU on my old mobo and it booted fine, so I think the problem's isolated to the new motherboard.

Anything I should try before I RMA it?

Other relevant stats:

PSU: Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
    Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) x 2 (4 GB)
    Vid: EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks a million in advance!
    Did you plug atx 12v 2x4pin ?

try remove 2 ram out and leave 2 rams on slot 1 and slot 3 then power up and see what happens.

also try test 1 ram at the times each if they all good.

pg
    GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
    New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
    G
    .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
    MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
    PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
    Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

I would try a different power supply, just because it works on a different mobo does not mean it's OK. Rosewill rebrands some really crappy units.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

I tested the board with one stick of RAM at a time last night, and it seemed to do fine with that. (I had a similar experience to the poster of this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...ot-loop-29508/) I was under the assumption that if it didn't boot without RAM, it wouldn't boot with RAM - clearly I was wrong.

My problem now is that it only boots with one stick at a time. I tested all four sticks individually, so I know the RAM itself isn't bad. The thread I posted above seems to indicate that you need specific settings in the BIOS to get the mobo running with all four sticks. Anyone care to help me out with those? (I tried the ones that Lsdmeasap suggested - MCH Voltage to 1.22, trfc to 54, Static tRead Value for both channels to 10 - and they didn't work.)

Comment

Originally posted by strunkandwhite View Post
          Thanks for the help!

I tested the board with one stick of RAM at a time last night, and it seemed to do fine with that. (I had a similar experience to the poster of this thread: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...ot-loop-29508/) I was under the assumption that if it didn't boot without RAM, it wouldn't boot with RAM - clearly I was wrong.

My problem now is that it only boots with one stick at a time. I tested all four sticks individually, so I know the RAM itself isn't bad. The thread I posted above seems to indicate that you need specific settings in the BIOS to get the mobo running with all four sticks. Anyone care to help me out with those? (I tried the ones that Lsdmeasap suggested - MCH Voltage to 1.22, trfc to 54, Static tRead Value for both channels to 10 - and they didn't work.)
          if you are not plan to overclock, then go to into bios, select load optimized defaults then save to exit.

if it still issues, try go back to bios again, go to dram voltage, change set auto to manual 2.0 then save to exit.

pg
          Last edited by powergiga; 01-22-2009, 12:00 PM. Reason: edited
          GA-EP45-UD3R REV 1.1 BIOS F11 (stay away F10F)
          New Intel Pentium E6500 9x500 FSB=4.5 GHz on air
          G
          .SKILL PI BLK 2x2GB DDR2 800 1.8-1.9v CL4 @5.5.5.15 500 MHZ
          MSI GTX 260 OC 620/1080/1296 (192 SP)
          PSU BFG TECH GS-550W (DUAL+12V RAILS 18A EACH.)
          Windows 7 64bit build 7600

Comment

I set the DRAM voltage to 2.0v (the memory is rated 1.8v-2.0v) and performed the following tests:

- Slot 1: boot
            - Slot 2: boot
            - Slot 3: DID NOT boot
            - Slot 4: boot

- Slots 1 + 3: DID NOT boot
            - Slots 2 + 4: DID NOT boot, but also gave me the beeps for "power error" (the other times the mobo failed to boot it just shut off and turned back on)

Looks like Slot 3 is obviously bad, but I wonder about the last test. Shouldn't 2+4 have worked?

Comment

Working...
            X