New AMD build (GA-MA790GP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New AMD build (GA-MA790GP)

I'm starting a new build soon and I'm 80% that I'm going to be using the GA-MA790GP. Does anyone have any experience with this mobo? I plan on getting a Phenom II 940 BE, Radeon 4870X2 and about 4-6GB of ram. One thing on my mind is that someone told me you can do crossfire with the onboard video. Is this true? Also, any problems with this mobo at all? I haven't figured out what PSU to get yet though. Also, can anyone recommend a decently priced case (under 120) with big fan on the side? This is my first comp build since the old sempron and that was a long time ago.

Re: New AMD build (GA-MA790GP)

I have this board. You must have BIOS F3 (only released yesterday) to run the 940. Gigabyte "fibbed" about AM3 support in November....

The board is generally good. The only beef I have is the crap Sys Fan control (there isn't any), no C1E support and you cannot gang the memory.

Other than that is it well overpriced in the UK....!

Good board - I don't use RAID or CFire.... not much point for me.

Comment

So should I be looking at a different board or a diff company all together? I don't know what you mean with the memory. What problems does it have?

Comment

The DKA790GX or M3A78-T are probably better value/featured and have mature support for the 920/940s. Don't be tempted by the Platinum DKA - just window dressing - the board is identical as is the BIOS.

Comment

Oi...... I think I'll just put off the new build until there's more support for it.

Comment

The 2 and the Gigabyte board all work OK with the 940. Go for it.

Comment

Working...
            X