memory: Crucial 4ea (4gb) 128Mx64 DDR2 PC2-8500 CL5 E
    video: EVGA 512-P3-N863-TR GeForce 9600 GT
    case: Antec Sonata III 500

not yet connected:
    WD Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640 GB SATA
    Samsung 20X DVD Burner

Suggestion? Thanks in advance

Re: ep45-ud3l won't boot

I removed RAM, from 4gb to 2gb, and then to none. No change in symptoms.
    Next, I removed the video card. No change in symptoms.

Comment

SOLVED! These are the symptoms one sees when the ATX12V isn't connected. DOH!

Comment

Hey Bob, nice build ya got there, cuz I have the exact same,(case and all) except I have an ATi Sapphire 4850 and 4 gig OCZ 1066 "Reaper" ram... Running XP as well And I'm having the same damned problem! There are spontaneous boot problems and such. Today, when it decided to work, I plugged in a usb keyboard it shut off. Not shut down - just shut off. There also appears to be a bad ram slot on the board. Something that appeared to allow it to work while we were assembling it was reseating the ram, we did this 2x.

I'm writing this respone to you to know whether your comp actually started working normally, or whether you gave up, found another fix or etc.

With regards

Brent

Comment

Brent,
          Once I connected the forgotten 12v connector, everything worked OK. The system has been running several weeks with no problems like you describe.

I did have a problem with Vista putting the system into sleep mode and the system refusing to wake up correctly. It would cycle endlessly through a boot loop. I don't care for or nee that feature, so I changed the power saving settings to never allow the system to go to sleep.

From what you describe, I would be suspicious of a bad motherboard. Hope you get it sorted.

Comment

Glad to see you got it all sorted out bob easton. I have to tell you there are a few things that need to be set in the BIOS like PCI express frequency should always be set to 100. This is found under the MB Intelligent tweaker section (first section of BIOS). CIA2 usage is discouaged but not forbidden- modifiying BIOS settings is the preferred method of overclocking FYI. Under DRAM Perf control section always set Performance enhance to STANDARD. For more in depth help on setting the BIOS please use the templates provided and print a copy out. you can then uses it to record your BIOS settings and post back for more help on these forums. here is the link to bios templates

Good luck with your new board Bob Regards Max
            Last edited by MadMax2911; 10-05-2009, 09:30 AM. Reason: add link
            BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

THANKS for the followup Max!
              The system has done quite well since, solid as a rock. Of course, I stayed away from the bleeding edge to assure that stability and it worked well.

Comment

I have the same board, I had problems running 4 gig 2x2, in the yellow slots. I could run 2 gig by itself but not 4. Moved the 4 gig to the red slots everything passes now. I think my 3 slot is bad.

Comment

Hi Bob I only want to clear up my statements as I was a bit rushed this morning. The settings that I mentioned help keep things running smoothly as I have been told. They would be the PCI express frequency set at 100 and Performance enhance always set to Standard. This post by the main man Professor Jim explains a bit more. http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep43...86/#post295784 Here is another link where the Man L states to set PCI e to 100 and perf enhance to Standard
                  http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/3-2-...ettings-30893/ see last page.

Overclocking is a personal choice I know and I respect your choice. I personally will only go for a mild OC for general use and do want to see this board do some major OC just out of curiosity. But, Like I stated will not leave it in major OC mode. I have just finished setting the baseline as taught in the OC thread and am testing different settings now. Looking at putting a fan on MCH as recommended in OC thread as well. The how of mounting is still in question, however.
                  Hey Chuckm1 you may benefit from the thread that I just posted about BIOS settings. Sorry to hear about your RAM problems do you have a thread where you are getting help??

Regards Max
                  Last edited by MadMax2911; 10-07-2009, 08:58 AM. Reason: sp
                  BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

Working...
                  X